New York Firearms Forum banner

Albany NY - any NON-CLUB places to shoot?

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  slappi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

This site has come up in pretty much every search I've done...figured I'd make an account and join the party!

We used to live down in Putnam county, sandwiched between a deserted state park and a huge farm....got pretty spoiled being able to shoot in my back yard! Anyhow, we just moved up to the Albany area and are now looking for places to shoot. We aren't particularly interested in clubs.

I spoke with DEC and they confirmed that shooting is allowed in state forests as long as posted regulations are followed. They did, however, suggest that I "just find an old quarry" as they weren't able to recommend a spot. I'm also coming up kind of empty on Google Earth, and have tried asking around at the various local outfitters with no success ("somewhere off exit17" "blah blah rod and gun" "

And so it is that I come to you, seeking recommendations for where the family can go shoot on public land. We always clean up, and are always responsible.

any friendly suggestions? I'll owe you a beer :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi guys, appreciate the input! I didn't think there'd be much of anything in the immediate Albany area, given that it's rather developed. I figured on a drive of at least 1-2 hours.

That being said, we did find a place (Daketown) about 45 mins away. It's not ideal, and previous shooters certainly have left plenty of junk (we walked out with a big bucket of 270, 223 and 12ga brass) but it was a decent spot for 50-100yd shooting.

We're still looking for a better place with more positive backstop and maybe a bit more clearing. Further suggestions still quite welcome!

#8 ·
Hey Guys - Just wanted to resurrect this thread some... I too am looking for a place to go shooting around the albany area. I like the OP, am more than willing to drive an hour or two. Does anyone know of anywhere else in addition to Daketown that was mentioned?

Thanks!

#11 ·
Where is Daketown? I know where there is a Daketown road but that is in Greenfield.

#13 ·
Where in the Albany area? There are several clubs surrounding Albany . Most people including myself who have permission to shoot on private land aren't going to advertise it on the internet. you need to do a little leg work and door knocking same goes for hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.