Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nyctpt

Thread: Shotguns in NYC

Private

Default Shotguns in NYC

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up my rifle/shotgun permit for NYC. When I got home I noticed that there was a note in the envelope stating that the shotgun should not have more than 5 rounds capacity. What other restrictions are there? Can someone recommend a good home defense shotgun under NYC limitations?

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, both are great HD shotguns. It's ridiculous that NYC places further restrictions on shotguns in terms of magazine capacity, but you can invest in a plug that will limit your shotgun magazine to 5 rounds, if the magazine holds more than that. Recommended ammo for self-defense is generally #4 or 00 buckshot.
    Last edited by ChrisWNY; 01-07-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    NYS/FL CCW
    --------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of those who threaten to destroy it.

Private

Thanks for the response. I was looking into the Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum but it says it's capacity is 6+1. Not sure if the plug is going to be sufficient for the precinct. Can you give me a link of this plug?

3-round magazine plugs seem to be the most common - Remington 3 shot Magazine plug for Model 870, 1100 and 11-87: MGW

You can also use a wooden dowel rod to do the same job, but the link above should give you an idea of how simple it is to reduce the capacity of a shotgun magazine. Assuming the 5-round limit means 4 (magazine) + 1 in the chamber, you'd want to size up your dowel rod so that it's the same length as 2 shotgun shells (so that you effectively reduce the mag capacity by 2 shells). Disassemble the magazine tube, jam the dowel inside the tube behind the plastic stopper (I'm not sure what it's called, but the mag spring makes contact with it), reassemble, and voila, your shotgun no longer has a 6+1 capacity.
    Last edited by ChrisWNY; 01-08-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    NYS/FL CCW
    --------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of those who threaten to destroy it.

Sergeant

Just curious, what's the process like for getting the permit?

Corporal

The five round limit is for the magazine tube, afaik. Do not buy a shotgun with 8 rd capacity and put a dowel in the tube. First, when you register the shotgun they will look for the mag cap on the receipt, and if its not there they search for the model online. Second, any work you do to a gun to make it NYC compliment must be done but a smith with a notarized reciept/pics. It's BS for sure, but we're here so what can you do. Over the summer I wanted to pick up a lever action carbine in .357 and would have had to have the tube pinned so it would only take 5 rds.

Don't take anything for granted here, you need to read the admin/penal code and research for yourself.

Ryan
    Logan likes this.

Private

nyctpt,

I just found out that the shotgun is limited to no less than 18.5 inches. Being that your my neighbor in Queens. Can you recommend a shotgun for home defense?

Corporal

18.5 is the shortest length anywhere without extra paperwork. I have a Mossberg 500 that I bought as a combo with a 24" rifled barrel for slugs and a 26" smooth bore barrel. I bought an 18.5" barrel separate for I believe around $90. With the three barrels I can do whatever I need with a shotgun. Also check out a Remington 870, really depends on what feel good in your hands. I mounted a light and put an elastic 6rd shell holder on the butt. It's loaded with low recoil 00 buck. If you're in an apt be conscious of what walls are shared with neighbors.

Do you have any previous experience?

When you're ready to buy check out Hunter Sports on Sunrise Highway in Massapequa. Great guys and fair prices. IMO even if it costs a few bucks more it's better to support a local business than a big box store. A good friend of mine just got his letter today saying that his permit is ready so I will most likely be shopping this weekend. I can give you some current prices assuming I'm out there.

Ryan

Private

nyctpt,

That's funny that you mentioned Mossberg, cause I'm getting ready to buy a mariner from budsgunshop.com for $429 free shipping.

No, I don't have any experience. I'm looking into taking some classes. Not sure where.

Private

Now, I just noticed that there are two Mossbergs mariners. One is model 50273 and the other is 51273. Difference it seems is that 51273 has a heavy walled barrel. What benefit would one get from the heavy walled barrel?

Private

Just to be clear, the five round limit in NYC is for both semi-automatic and pump action shotguns? I knew there were laws that restricted "magazine feeding devices" to five rounds but I always assumed these devices needed to be detachable, thereby excluding pump action shotguns. I ask this because I see a few NYC dealers have Mossberg and Remington's (in excess of 5 rounds) listed for sale on their website despite the restriction.

MDX

does the NYC shotgun permit have to be renewed? IMO I would get a shotgun that is all business. in the NYC scenario it would suck to spend alot on a firearm or become attached only to get a permit not renewed for any of the BS reasons NYC supposedly can use to deny you... what happens then?

as for ammo, I believe that all depends on what kind of dwelling you are in. Hopefully some more knowledgable members will chime here on this subject. the choice an upstate NYer uses for HD ammo may not be such a good idea for someone living in a NYC multiple dwelling.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by RJEvans View Post
    Just to be clear, the five round limit in NYC is for both semi-automatic and pump action shotguns? I knew there were laws that restricted "magazine feeding devices" to five rounds but I always assumed these devices needed to be detachable, thereby excluding pump action shotguns. I ask this because I see a few NYC dealers have Mossberg and Remington's (in excess of 5 rounds) listed for sale on their website despite the restriction.
    The 5 round limit applies to ALL long guns in NYC. if it is capable of holding more than that, the License Division requires proof (notorized letter from gunsmith) stating the capacity has been limited in accordance with the Administrative Code. Also, no pistol grips. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    nyctpt,

That's funny that you mentioned Mossberg, cause I'm getting ready to buy a mariner from budsgunshop.com for $429 free shipping.

No, I don't have any experience. I'm looking into taking some classes. Not sure where.
    Where in NYC are you Logan? Id go with a Mossy 500 or 590A1 but since the 590A1 has a large capacity mag tube u would have to plug it big time so it might not be worth it for u.
    -Sig P226: NYPD DAO 12lb trigger :'( w/ night sights 9mm
    -Glock 26: Same as above 9mm
    -Ruger SR1911: Crisp 3.5lb trigger, VZ grips 45acp
    -Mossberg 500A: 12ga, Tacstar side saddle, Blackhawk bandolier sling

Private

Quote Originally Posted by pdsarge View Post
    Also, no pistol grips. Hope this helps
    It is my understanding that pistol grips are permitted on pump shotguns.

Corporal

AFAIK pistol grips are cool provided it has a standard butt as well. "Pistol grip shotguns" are not allowed per admin code. To me that means a shotgun that has only a pistol grip.

Ryan

Corporal

Pistol grip only shotguns aren't permitted in NYC as that would shorten the overall length to under 26"

Also, when purchasing HD ammo, consider the construction of your home and the rigidity of walls/floors. You don't want to shoot an intruder and miss, having the slug/pellets go into another room or apartment and injure an innocent.

Additionally, you'll have to be VERY careful even brandishing your weapon in NYC against an intruder. There are "equal force" laws which are total BS. If you shoot an unarmed intruder you'll probably find yourself in prison for murder.

I've been waiting for my permit for almost two months now. How long was your wait?

Does the 5-round limit mean you can't own a 5+1? If so then that means you can't have any Mossberg 500 or 590, as they're all listed on Mossberg's site as having at least a 6-round capacity (including one in the chamber). I know the law says "magazine feeding device," but I just wanted to know how they're interpreting it now. O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Also, for self-defense in the home, in New York there's no duty to retreat in the home. If you reasonably believe that an intruder is about to use deadly force against you, you can respond with deadly force. If you point a gun at someone and yell "freeze" and he keeps coming at you, it's pretty safe to say your belief that he intends to use deadly force is reasonable, even if it turns out he's unarmed. Even local DA's won't charge you for that, and I can't see local juries convicting. More importantly, you're also allowed to use deadly force to thwart a burglary (as well as arson or rape), so a home invasion is pretty much covered under any circumstances.
    Last edited by .357MagNYC; 06-16-2012 at 10:46 PM.

In the Big Rotten Apple, you can't have a pistol grip on a shotgun ... Period.

The law states magazine capacity exceeding 5 rounds is illegal. The chamber isn't part of the magazine.

I know it's expensive, but I'd only use Frangible ammo in NYC or anywhere else where you're close to the neighbors.

A couple of great, knowlegable gun shops just east of the City are ...

South Shore Sportsman, in Merrick. Mike is ex NYC Cop and won't sell you something you can't own.

Hunter Sports, in Massapequa.

Hunters Essentials, in Albertson.

Don't forget to get a case, eye & ear protection so you can head out to Mitchell Field, Calverton, or Brookhaven to get aquainted with your new toy/tool.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking" ... General George S. Patton.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

^ That's great advice, thanks!

Captain

As stated I would go with a standard capacity Moss 500 or Rem 870.... both have been out for years and are good.... Let us know what you decide....

My permit took 3 months. Five in tube one in chamber is max. I just called about the win Sxp which is one plus five. The rem870 tactical is one plus six or seven and thats a no no. Don't think you can get over on nypd. They are master ball breakers.....trust me on this. Don't buy a 6+1 and think they will be ok with you plugging it. Not sure about pistol grip laws but I don't prefer them anyway.

Private

cant go wrong with Mossberg

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I just picked up my rifle/shotgun permit for NYC. When I got home I noticed that there was a note in the envelope stating that the shotgun should not have more than 5 rounds capacity. What other restrictions are there? Can someone recommend a good home defense shotgun under NYC limitations?
    No other restrictions for a pump shotgun, but a semi-auto cannot have a pistol grip.

Quote Originally Posted by nyctpt View Post
    The five round limit is for the magazine tube, afaik. Do not buy a shotgun with 8 rd capacity and put a dowel in the tube. First, when you register the shotgun they will look for the mag cap on the receipt, and if its not there they search for the model online. Second, any work you do to a gun to make it NYC compliment must be done but a smith with a notarized reciept/pics. It's BS for sure, but we're here so what can you do. Over the summer I wanted to pick up a lever action carbine in .357 and would have had to have the tube pinned so it would only take 5 rds.

Don't take anything for granted here, you need to read the admin/penal code and research for yourself.

Ryan
    The 5 boroughs are so terrible to the "good guy" that it is no wonder the city is plagued with "illegal weapons". It is unfortunate because I know so many people that buy firearms that are not stolen and bring them to their homes in the boroughs. They would rather chance it with a felony than go through the process and the hassle of getting permits.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan