Close

Thread: Sabot Slugs??

Corporal

Default Sabot Slugs??

My question is.. can I shoot Sabot Slugs out of a Rifled Barrel???? As of now All i have been shooting out of it was the Power-Shock Ball rifled Slugs By Federal.. If I can use Sabot too then i wouldnt be so limited to types of ammo... Wish i could find a Turkey barrel :-\
    Winchester Model 94 30/30, Marlin .22, GSG-5, Mossberg 500 20ga Slugster, Mossberg 535 tactical Turkey 12 Ga., Russian Saiga 7.62

Captain

Default Re: Sabot Slugs??

Yes, they are to only be used in rifled barrels.

rifled slugs and rifled barrels don't mix.

Are you going to fire slugs out of a turkey barrel?
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe
    rifled slugs and rifled barrels don't mix.

Are you going to fire slugs out of a turkey barrel?
    When i bought my Moss Slugster from Gander Mountain they said to only use Rifled Slugs.. ??? ??? ??? ??? I Probably put 180 slugs through it so far...
    Winchester Model 94 30/30, Marlin .22, GSG-5, Mossberg 500 20ga Slugster, Mossberg 535 tactical Turkey 12 Ga., Russian Saiga 7.62

Quote Originally Posted by sidewayz350
    When i bought my Moss Slugster from Gander Mountain they said to only use Rifled Slugs..  ??? ??? ??? ???  I Probably put 180 slugs through it so far...
    I wouldn’t listen to too much that the people in gander mountain say. They people in there are hit or miss.

Do you have your owner’s manual for the gun? Read it and see if it says anything. Rifled slugs are made for smooth barrels. Rifled barrels will not be very accurate using rifled slugs. I’ve heard it can damage your rifling over time but I have no idea how true it is.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Right from the horse's mouth:

http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/text/faq.html#wich

They know about slugs and the proper barrels to use.
    bosco

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans
    Right from the horse's mouth:

http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/text/faq.html#wich

They know about slugs and the proper barrels to use.
    bosco

This is good information although it seams to just cover this particular company's Ammo.

Private

Smooth bore barrel=rifled slugs. Rifled barrel=sabot slugs.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by sidewayz350 View Post
    My question is.. can I shoot Sabot Slugs out of a Rifled Barrel???? As of now All i have been shooting out of it was the Power-Shock Ball rifled Slugs By Federal.. If I can use Sabot too then i wouldnt be so limited to types of ammo... Wish i could find a Turkey barrel :-\
    Yes you can shoot sabot slugs out of a rifled barrel. In fact shooting them out of anything but a rifled barrel is a waste of money. Also while some people seem to think you can only shoot sabots slugs out of a rifld barrel and that rifled slugs from a rifled barrel will cause accuracy issues, extreme leading, damage to barrel etc. (I use to be one of them) this does not seem to hold true. Here is a good field test regarding slugs both sabot and rifled in shotguns with both smooth and rifled barrels: The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - Page 1

After reading through that field test and a few others like it while also trying it for myself I have found that rifled slugs through rifled barrels can be very accurate and showed no wear or excessive leading in the rifled barrel. After just a quick cleaning going back to sabots showed no loss in accuracy even now after 300+ rifled slugs through the rifled barrel. I still prefer to use lightfield sabot slugs to hunt with but if I was ever in a pinch and rifled slugs was all I could get/afford I would not hesitate to buy some federal tru-ball slugs, sight them in and hit the woods.

yes you should only us them in that kind of barrel