Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Private

Default Have laws changed for pistol grip Shotguns?

Recently I overheard a conversation while at my local gun dealer. Someone wanted to buy a pistol grip shotgun, but the owner said he could only sell it to a law enforcement officer, or someone with a pistol license. Keep in mind this had an 18" barrel, pump-action, and nothing that looked like it would scare the sheep. Maybe he is mis-informed? The customer was pretty young so maybe he just didnt wanna sell it to some 'punk kid' : Has anyone heard anything about the laws changing?

Captain

Default Re: Have laws changed for pistol grip Shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by SIG220C
    Recently I overheard a conversation while at my local gun dealer. Someone wanted to buy a pistol grip shotgun, but the owner said he could only sell it to a law enforcement officer, or someone with a pistol license. Keep in mind this had an 18" barrel, pump-action, and nothing that looked like it would scare the sheep. Maybe he is mis-informed? The customer was pretty young so maybe he just didnt wanna sell it to some 'punk kid' : Has anyone heard anything about the laws changing?
    He's either an idiot or was lying.

There is no such thing as a pistol with a smooth bore, because it would fall under Short Barreled Shotgun or Any Other Weapon laws from the NFA.

Even the Taurus Judge has rifling so it isn't classified as an NFA firearm (also because it shoots .45 Colt, but they couldn't make a pistol that just fired .410 without rifling).

The guy didn't know what he was talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by ddan24
    The guy didn't know what he was talking about...
    yup agreed... pistol grip shotguns are limited to 18 years old IIRC

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Firearms Instructor | ADSI Member | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

InkedUpGunFighter.com

RPD 46

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikecentola
    yup agreed... pistol grip shotguns are limited to 18 years old IIRC
    Which means there isn't a limit at all on them because you have to be 18 to purchase any firearm.

Just another gun dealer that doesn't know what they're talking about.

SIG220C: I'm kind of curious where this was, as I'm quite familiar with most of the dealers in Ducthess Co.. that is if you don't mind saying, I would understand if you didn't want to name names.. hehe

The only regulation that I know of on pistol grip shotguns has to to with Rochester. The city has an ordanance against a pistol grip only, it must have a butt. But that is just for city residents inside the city. They can still buy a pistol grip shotgun, but are in violation until they change the stock out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Which means there isn't a limit at all on them because you have to be 18 to purchase any firearm.

Just another gun dealer that doesn't know what they're talking about.
    Oops I think I meant 21, but again, I'm not positive. I have to look.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Firearms Instructor | ADSI Member | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

InkedUpGunFighter.com

RPD 46

Private

Quote Originally Posted by hexidismal
    SIG220C: I'm kind of curious where this was, as I'm quite familiar with most of the dealers in Ducthess Co.. that is if you don't mind saying, I would understand if you didn't want to name names.. hehe
    This was at 'Collectors Guns and Ammo' on Rte. 82

I didnt think he was right. Ive heard a number of other silly things while in there as well.

This was at 'Collectors Guns and Ammo' on Rte. 82
    AHA ! I think I've figured out the mystery. Well, maybe anyway. On one hand, you could be right and they just made s illy mistake. It certainly wouldn't be a first over at CR&A. I know those guys pretty well from shop talk, but they don't know everything

On the other hand.. and please understand SIG220C I mean no personal offense whatsoever, but you might have mistaken what he was referring to as the restricted aspect of the shotgun. The specific shop you mention, leads me to believe it's possible the gun was this one

http://mossberg.com/products/default...ction=products EDIT: ( Click the right arrow four times under the picture )

I happen to know they have a few of those in stock over there and out on the racks, as I've seen them recently. This is in fact an LEO restricted item in NY due to the "breacher" accessory that they come from the factory with.

The link you posted shows a muzzle brake, not a breacher barrel. It looks like the ones on the Barrett 50 cal rifles. Not sure if that's what you meant to link.

What law restricts breaching standoffs on barrels? I've never run across one. You can go right to my local Dick's and buy a shotgun with a breacher barrel too.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Captain

I wonder if that huge brake makes shooting a stockless shotgun not suck.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe
    The link you posted shows a muzzle brake, not a breacher barrel. It looks like the ones on the Barrett 50 cal rifles. Not sure if that's what you meant to link.

What law restricts breaching standoffs on barrels? I've never run across one. You can go right to my local Dick's and buy a shotgun with a breacher barrel too.
    I also believe that shotgun linked is completely legal. The muzzle attachement does not make it LEO restricted.

Well.. I've been told by three separate dealers just recently that the model in their shops is LEO restricted, and the barrel attachment is the reason.. so... I don't know. One is the store in question, One is a store in Monroe , and one was a dealer with a table at the Poughkeepsie gunshow. I'm not saying I've seen the law restricting them , but that's what all the dealers are saying , and the stores have LEO only tags on the guns.

OH and oops, I showed the wrong model. Click the right arrow twice ( or 4 times for pistol grip version )!

BANNED

Well.. I've been told by three separate dealers just recently that the model in their shops is LEO restricted, and the barrel attachment is the reason.. so... I don't know. One is the store in question, One is a store in Monroe , and one was a dealer with a table at the Poughkeepsie gunshow. I'm not saying I've seen the law restricting them , but that's what all the dealers are saying , and the stores have LEO only tags on the guns.
    It may just be store policy. I had a store that wouldn't sell me a plain pistol grip shotgun a few years ago also. They told me it was LEO only. :-\

No , that was my bad Rich. I didn't realize the link would bring you to the first one every time. If you click twice ( or 4 times for the pistol grip version ) to the right under the picture, that brings up the model Ive seen sold as LEO only. And specifically the one often sold at the store the original poster mentioned.

Sorry about the confusion guys. The model in question is in fact a "Stand-off" or breacher , and I know for a fact there was two of them right across from the desk in that store a couple weeks ago marked as LEO only.

As far as whether the breacher model should be marked that way or not, I'm just saying it is there and in other local stores.

BANNED

No , that was my bad Rich. I didn't realize the link would bring you to the first one every time. If you click twice ( or 4 times for the pistol grip version ) to the right under the picture, that brings up the model Ive seen sold as LEO only. And specifically the one often sold at the store the original poster mentioned.

Sorry about the confusion guys. The model in question is in fact a "Stand-off" or breacher , and I know for a fact there was two of them right across from the desk in that store a couple weeks ago marked as LEO only.

As far as whether the breacher model should be marked that way or not, I'm just saying it is there and in other local stores.
    I'm still guessing that it is just store policy, there's nothing in NYS law that would make that illegal for civilians to own.

That seems likely, yes. Or , perhaps they think they are following the law by what might be a common misconception. Just doing a quick search I did find these guns being sold by stores in western NY with no LEO restriction.

Maybe if I get a chance I'll call up the shop tomorrow and see what they say about it.

BANNED

That seems likely, yes. Or , perhaps they think they are following the law by what might be a common misconception. Just doing a quick search I did find these guns being sold by stores in western NY with no LEO restriction.

Maybe if I get a chance I'll call up the shop tomorrow and see what they say about it.
    If you do, be sure to update the thread.

I don't know why any store would put their LE only guns out on display with other models. To me, its almost like false advertising. I look at it, ponder how cool it is, think of how I can explain why I needed it, then ask to hold it..."sorry, not for you!" Thats when I walk away with a bad taste in my mouth, looking for a new gun store to give my cash to.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by SIG220C
    I'm familiar 'Collectors Guns and Ammo' out on 82. The pistol grip question was probably directed at the saiga 12 semi-auto shotgun they have on display. In fact was there a few weeks ago asking about about just that.

They sold me my Ak when I was 18 so I don't think they care if the buyer was young.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rwerelic
    I'm familiar 'Collectors Guns and Ammo' out on 82. The pistol grip question was probably directed at the saiga 12 semi-auto shotgun they have on display. In fact was there a few weeks ago asking about about just that.

They sold me my Ak when I was 18 so I don't think they care if the buyer was young.
    Welcome to the site. But that doesn't explain why the buyer was turned away.

How's the price on that Saiga 12 anyway?

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Machinator
    Welcome to the site. But that doesn't explain why the buyer was turned away.

How's the price on that Saiga 12 anyway?
    Thanks for the welcome, maybe I'm wrong. It just reminded me of the time I found out the Saiga couldn't be fitted with a pistol grip. I just figured he misheard since pistol grip pump shotguns are legal.

I cant remember the exact price but it was just north of $500, maybe $550. I would have gotten it but it had a 24" barrel and no pistol grip.

Captain

There's a couple threads now, on this board, about people's Saiga conversion. As long as you follow 922R rules, Saigas with pistol grips are legal. Saiga-12.com has a guide.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Machinator
    There's a couple threads now, on this board, about people's Saiga conversion. As long as you follow 922R rules, Saigas with pistol grips are legal. Saiga-12.com has a guide.
    ok, so I cant just toss on a postal grip, I need to make it 922r compliant first. And a pistol grip is ok just not a telescoping stock, the stock needs to be fixed.

OK, I just found this http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/i...roducts_id=150

Thanks for the info....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast