Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Evild
  • 2 Post By RDFABSREP
  • 1 Post By Noodles

Thread: budget shotgun question.... maverick or savage?

Default budget shotgun question.... maverick or savage?

background: love my mossie... but i want a fun gun to take to the range and just abuse.. looking for somehting w/ ghosts and pistolgrip/buttstock

i think everyone knows the maverick 88, made in mexico/usa. standard mossberg design cost $200. then needs the buttstock $60 and rings $60ish plus pay to have them smithed on $60-100?

total : $420 -450ish

or

Savage - Stevens model 320 security cost $200 sourced from china. similar to pardner pump

Savage PUMP 12G 18.5" PG GR $212.00 SHIPS FREE

essentially nothing needed.. however i havent found too many reviews the ones i have say good things other than you need to put some muscle behind the rack. (american rifleman)

Any one held / own one?

im thinking the savage fits the bill nicely.... As i cant see gussyin up a subpar shotgun just to abuse it..
    Last edited by zeus1gdsm; 08-14-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    "Never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters" -- FDR

How about a NEF Pardner security? I have an NEF Pardner and they have great service,
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

Open Water Diver. Dives- ​39. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

The Savage is made in China I believe. That right there is enough for me to not buy one. We are forced to by too many Chinese made items because there is on other choice a lot of the time. How ever, when you have a choice, why would you choose China over America?
    podmonkey and kgun12 like this.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Evild View Post
    The Savage is made in China I believe. That right there is enough for me to not buy one. We are forced to by too many Chinese made items because there is on other choice a lot of the time. How ever, when you have a choice, why would you choose China over America?
    BRAVO!!! Couldn't agree more!!!
    Air Traffic Controller, USAF 1979-1988 (SSGT),
    Life member: American Legion, DAV,NRA, NAHC, SCOPE, & NAGR

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

I kill deer... and I like it Ragnar Danneskjold's Avatar

You can buy a Mossie online with a home defense barrel and 28" field barrel for $309. Keep the HD barrel, sell me (or someone else) the field barrel and bingo- budget gun.

As much as im a blue blooded country boy... i dont see the problem with this particular china purchas.......
    e... most things i buy are us made. As are my vehicles.. id have to ship it to a ffl and pay him. So thats money in a regular guys pocket.... the china issue is like calling me a commie because i own a saiga

But it looks like i can find a mossber tact. W/ rings for 200 more so i may consider it
    "Never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters" -- FDR

I dont think you can go wrong with either

Just my 2 cents

Do you have a decent LGS? I'd honestly prefer an old, well-worn 870 to anything else.
    Bill and Dieter122 like this.
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

This Too Shall Pass

Quote Originally Posted by RDFABSREP View Post
    Do you have a decent LGS? I'd honestly prefer an old, well-worn 870 to anything else.
    i want badly to buy an ex police 870 off gunbroker. so tempting...i love rack numbers! haha

Any of the "off-model" Mossbergs are good, too. I picked up a 835 for a hair over $100, it was sitting in wood with a chipped finish and a scope mount, but it didn't take much to refinish the stock and put an 18" 590 barrel on there.
    Dieter122 likes this.

^^^^^^^^

used shotguns , those that have been rattle canned, used for hunting season, etc are great buys typically.
    luckily , most types are really hard to kill and are fairly forgiving with the abuse.
    id rather buy a used shotgun than a used precision bolt gun, or higher end AR, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter122 View Post
    i want badly to buy an ex police 870 off gunbroker. so tempting...i love rack numbers! haha
    Oh my God, man...don't even get me started. I'm not a big shotgun shooter (even though I have an 870 Wingmaster Mag and a Mossberg 500) but an 870 Police would go home with me ON THE SPOT if I found one at my LGS.
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

This Too Shall Pass

Quote Originally Posted by zeus1gdsm View Post
    As much as im a blue blooded country boy... i dont see the problem with this particular china purchas.......
    e... most things i buy are us made. As are my vehicles.. id have to ship it to a ffl and pay him. So thats money in a regular guys pocket.... the china issue is like calling me a commie because i own a saiga

But it looks like i can find a mossber tact. W/ rings for 200 more so i may consider it
    No one is calling you a commie, atleast for me I won't buy out of country if I can it made in America. That's all.
    Air Traffic Controller, USAF 1979-1988 (SSGT),
    Life member: American Legion, DAV,NRA, NAHC, SCOPE, & NAGR

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Private

If you are looking for guns within your budget be it a savage or any other gun you can take a look at the website mentioned below my message as it auctions a large collection of guns for a reasonable price. Good luck with your shopping!

Major

If you are looking for guns within your budget be it a savage or any other gun you can take a look at the website mentioned below my message as it auctions a large collection of guns for a reasonable price. Good luck with your shopping!
    That was a waste of time, there are a total of 5 firearms on that site.

Captain

Look for a decent used Mossberg 500. They are out there for 100 -150.00. Then put on the accessories you desire. Only thing I ever had to repair on 500's was the plastic safety button., put on a metal one. Made in USA and reliable. Many accessories for them

Quote Originally Posted by Trekmtbr89 View Post
    That was a waste of time, there are a total of 5 firearms on that site.
    Look again. There's six things in any firearms category on there, but only one is an actual firearm.

Also, I believe anyone advertising on this site is supposed to pay for that privilege.

BANNED

Only the newer Maverick is Mexico. The older is USA...... I have both Mavericks. and one Moss.

the main thing is the ghosts really.. there are a few lgs round here... but i havent seen any ghosts.... what i need to do is find myself a lgsmith...

I walked out of my LGS a week or two ago with an 870 for $270 after tax. I walked quickly out of the store for fear they would realize I was robbing them!
    "Honor is due to those who went simply because they did."

RIT 2012

"If you survive that and continue, you will quickly experience rapid ventilation of your cranial vault with a 1-ounce slug." ~ Bob

Quote Originally Posted by XP100 View Post
    Look for a decent used Mossberg 500. They are out there for 100 -150.00. Then put on the accessories you desire. Only thing I ever had to repair on 500's was the plastic safety button., put on a metal one. Made in USA and reliable. Many accessories for them
    I watch multiple fire arm sales sights/forums almost every day, no way your finding a Mossy 500 for the $100-$150 range any more.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus1gdsm View Post
    Read way into post much?
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

I went to a LGS and got a Mavrick 88 for 200 flat and he threw in the tax, it was used, a bit rough and had a barrel marked "28 inches with poly choke" that was cut down to 18.75 inches, it handles 3 inch shells and hasn't has a problem yet so I'm happy.
    Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

Corporal

My Maverick 88 is US made and I love it. However, with newer mossberg 500s and I believe all Maverick 88s, you have the permanently attached forearm action bars which makes stock/forearm combos a problem. I'm planning on ordering a new action slide tube and nut directly from mossberg so I can take advantage of better furniture options.
    "'Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - Oppenheimer

SCOPE/NYSRPA/NRA member