Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jayk500
  • 1 Post By Juanjo_NY

Thread: Remington 870 Tactical - suggestions for add ons?

Default Remington 870 Tactical - suggestions for add ons?

Hey all,

First off, this gun is used primarily for home defense. I just ordered a new front sight as the old one fell off in the woods... and am giving serious thought to ordering the Surefire 618LM weapon light. SureFire 618LM LED WeaponLight for Remington 870 Shotgun

Does anybody have experience with that light? Just wanted some other input. Also, can anybody suggest what might be better.... a laser like Lazerlyte's Center Mass LaserLyte — RML Kryptonyte Center Mass or some sort of red dot sight??? Pros vs Cons of each.

I appreciate any input from you guys

Captain
    The Fight For Freedom: Plan for the worst. Fight for the best.

I have tried various light/laser/sight combos on my 870s, at the end of the day I revert back to ghost ring sights and a flashlight. I currently have my light mounted on a picatinny rail section on the magpul MOE forend. I have used the elzetta light mount on my 870 and liked it alot, just wanted to reduce bulk a little bit.

I like those surefire forends, but they seem way way wayyyy overpriced IMO.. Yes, I have seen the price of surefire lights alone, which is primarily why I don't own one. There are great quality lights available for a fraction of the cost, and being that 99.999999999% of the time the light just sits in my room, quietly protecting my home, I feel like a $350 flashlight/forend is just too great of an expense when I can certainly get by with a $70 light that is still good quality.

ETA: That laserlyte thing is f*****ing rad as hell lmao
    ScotchMan likes this.
    You: Is my firearm concealed if I wear it under my coat? Me: You're an idiot.

Captain

I use Streamlight TLR-4s. They have a super quality, rugged light and laser combination that is the same size as a a light without the laser. With the BUR870 chassis, you don't need to run any wires or pressure switches or super heavy lights. You can just run the TLR-4 on your weapon's forward body mounted rail and get both a compact light and a laser for night aiming. They cost a fraction of what the Surefire lights cost. If you're not at war, in an extreme outdoor environment, bashing your weapon off rocks or whatever, you're not going to be using 90% of the Surefire.

I'd still run a red dot because it's faster to action than looking for your laser dot on an enemy. They have their uses. I'm a big fan of products that offer high utility in a small package. Rather than running a light and a separate laser, you can get a quality product that does both.

I highly recommend a Fastfire II or Fastfire III for a red dot sight. They kick ass and they don't have a parallax at close ranges like a lot of red dots do. They are extremely small and light weight and easy to use.

It's nice to take advantage of technology that makes it easier and faster to bring your weapon into action but it's easy to get carried away with stuff you don't need or that will actually slow you down. That's why I like multi-function products.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycareyo View Post
    That looks awesome! I'll look into doing that with my next shotgun... I think I'll keep my standard setup for HD though, so my manual of arms is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycareyo View Post

I'd still run a red dot because it's faster to action than looking for your laser dot on an enemy. They have their uses. I'm a big fan of products that offer high utility in a small package. Rather than running a light and a separate laser, you can get a quality product that does both.

I highly recommend a Fastfire II or Fastfire III for a red dot sight. They kick ass and they don't have a parallax at close ranges like a lot of red dots do. They are extremely small and light weight and easy to use.
    Could you explain the parallax issue? I looked up those sights and they seem to be going for around $260... so I want to be sure that a red dot would actually be helpful and quick to acquire rather than me searching for it if my eyes are lined up perfectly. I have that issue with my brother's AR as the stock fit isn't the same on me as it is him..

EOtech is a little cheaper. EOTech Integrated Fore-end Light for Remington 870 I don't have one but played around with a friend of mine, seems like a good quality unit.
    You are with our Constitution or you are with the Terrorists!

Less is more.

A good night sight and a forend that allowes for a light to be attached but does not require that it be on the gun all of the time.
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

Major

this is what you should add:

Sthomas likes this.

The issue I came to find when training with my HD shotgun and a reflex sight was, turning the thing on. Not a huge deal when done leisurely, but when doing it under pressure/in the dark etc, i could see it being more of a burden. Thats why I went with a tritium front post/ghost ring rear. Also, one feature I like in light choices is the Strobe option.
    You: Is my firearm concealed if I wear it under my coat? Me: You're an idiot.

Captain

Some optics require you to center the dot in the middle of the field of view. So you will need perfect shoulder, cheek and alignment of your body, optic and target. If you're reticle isn't centered, it will shift the point of impact, even if the non-centered dot is in the same place. This can become very severe on cheaper optics.

Some are designed to have no close range parallax. Some are designed to have no parallax past 50 yards. Some sights, like Aimpoint and EOTech, have no parallax at all as they use a true holographic transmission system similar to what they use in fighter jets.

If you're using a shotgun, I don't think you need an EOTech or Aimpoint. A 8MOA dot reticle Fastfire II or III have no real close range parallax. I've actually tested this on an AK47 and on my shotgun.

So if you pick the wrong optic, aiming an an intruder, at extreme close range, you could actually miss and send your shot into your home or into a loved one.

I would also advise that you pick a 6-8MOA dot size for close range CQB. A finer dot will be harder to see and on a shotgun without a rifled slug barrel...you just don't need it. I'd rather have a nice big dot to line up quickly with the target and get rounds down range.

All you really need is a light, I too use a Magpul fore end.
    Everyday Loadout

NRA Instructor
    NRA Member

I'm with scotch, just a light, and avoid barrel shadow if poss.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson -
    Oath Keeper, NRA, GOA, NYSRPA
    "You are with our Constitution, or you are with the Terrorists!" - defilade