New York Firearms Forum banner

Lost my best friend Thursday of 14years

2K views 34 replies 32 participants last post by  NassauRidgeRunner 
#1 · (Edited)
Well the worse day of our lives came Thursday when we had to put our dog Jorge down, he was truly my best friend, my back yard buddy, always on my 6 inside or out. We have been a mess, we cant eat or sleep, our little girl (6) just thinks hes upstairs with the big guy, she knows i'm sad and says to me last night "you gotta have school spirit Daddy" at least i was able to smile when she said that. It all started Tuesday when Jorge jumped off the couch and tore his rear ACL vet said 4 to 6 weeks he can recover, have him lay low and relax, he put a brace on his leg and gave him some meds, that was fine for one day, until Wednesday when i came home from work i gave him his usual loving and ear scratches, and walked into the kitchen to check mail where he followed me, there's one small step he jumped up on and must of pushed off his bad leg and collapsed onto the floor and started dragging his hind end, and there was bone clicking, i knew this was it. an hour and half later we made the decision of our life. he went to take his final walk with the Big Guy upstairs. It was truly truly bad. I can still picture his body limp laying on the blanket we brought him to the vet on. Coming home to an empty house is all new to me/us. I found myself avoiding going home now. I went to tractor supply the other day i someone found myself in the dog treat/food aisle looking at stuff, until it hit me in the jaw.I knew he had bad arthritis and had some other issues but nothing like this we were prepared for. I swear i heard walking in our house Saturday i heard the click of nails on the hardwoods, the wife said Friday she swears she heard crunching like something was eating.. we still have his sleeping pad next to our bed. Its too hard to move. It was hard enough cleaning his food/water bowls out, we have them with his collar and leash and brush on the mantel waiting for him to come home next week. I feel like its my fault if i didnt go into the kitchen to check my mail he woulda been ok.Thanks for reading and understanding guys. Hopefully Dean will post my pics

See less See more
#2 ·
So sorry for your loss. This helped me.

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936). Verse: 1885-1918. 1922.
"The Power of the Dog"
THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware 5
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie-
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head. 10
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.
When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs 15
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find-it's your own affair-
But … you've given your heart to a dog to tear.
When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!). 20
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone-wherever it goes-for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.
We've sorrow enough in the natural way, 25
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve: 30
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long-
So why in-Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

#4 ·
Very sorry for the loss of your beloved family member. Im tearing up just reading your post. We have a 3 year old black lab golden retriever mix and he is my shadow. My furry son. I dont know what Im going to do when the time comes for him to go to the rabbit field in the sky. I hope that you and your family find comfort in your remembrances of him. He will be waiting for you.

#7 ·
Sorry for your loss. I have been there a few times myself and I know how tough it can be. Remember all of the good times and he will waiting at the bridge for you.

#14 ·
so sorry for your loss. been there a few times and it SUCKS. worst was with my lab because he was doing well outside of ever increasing issues with hips. Making the decision of putting him down and questioning, did I do everything i could was the worst. In you heart you know nothing you did or didnt do would of changed things. Remember the good times.

#16 ·
No kipling for you, just shared sorrow. I still miss old Axal, but see him everyday, resting quietly under the serviceberry where we planted him. The bush is growing well, thanks to him. I am serious when I say that he is the only thing I will regret leaving behind in NY.

so, I share your torture. It will slowly pass.

#22 ·
Sorry to hear about this, been through it twice myself. For about two years i told myself no as far as getting another dog, until i realized something was missing and that's when i started searching for another pup. Turned out to be the best decision i've made in a long time, the puppy we brought home we've had for a year now and he's the biggest sweetest most playful mush you'll ever meet. Nothing will ever replace the one you lost and it may take some time, but dont let that stop you from opening up your heart to another dog. Hang in there man.

#23 ·
Awesome DOG!

they truly are the Only sure instance of Unconditional Love!
(Dogs are Better than people!)

Support your Local Shelters, and ADOPT!

#25 ·
So sorry for your loss. We had to put our Pit down in November. We made the hardest decision of our lives, and took the longest toughest ride of our lives.There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. I was with him till the end, he died in my arms. Wish I could say it gets easier but it doesn't. It gets more bearable each day but not any easier.

#26 ·
Aw man- so sorry. My heartfelt empathy goes out to you and your family. BTDT, and I hope this comforts you as much as it did for me:

The Rainbow Bridge

'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.

There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'

Author unknown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.