New York Firearms Forum banner

AR-15 Dedicated .22LR upper???

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Intruder 
#1 ·
I have a home-built AR-15 with all high-end components, and yes, reluctantly registered as a SAFE Act "assault weapon" (along with a micro-UZI).

I'm preparing for the inevitable apocalypse, and wish to add a .22LR complete upper, to replace my current military conversion unit (CMMG copied it...and BTW, I would be open to offers on it with several magazines and military spare parts kit).

The real question is what's the current best (and, also price-point) .22LR upper? Does Spike's still rule?

Needs a top rail for both optics and fold-down BUIS, which I would add.

No complaints with the conversion kit, except .22LR and 5.56 have different points of impact, and I really want a separate upper with pre-adjusted sights and have some spare cash.

Opinions?

#2 ·
During the apocalypse your registered weapons will be confiscated. I personally would rather have 2 rifles than 1 1/2 rifles. I like plenty of .22 rifles stashed throughout the countryside. I liked the M&P 15-22 i had before Cornholeo fucked us, now it resides in VT. FUAC

#3 ·
I have a DPMS dedicated upper that is a tack driver and super reliable. Tried the conversion bolt route with crappy results.

#6 ·
DPMS still has a 22 upper in their 2017 catalog. Part number is 60573.

#8 ·
I guess I better keep mine, sounds like I made a good investment when I bought it. I waited 5 months for mine via Midway.

#9 ·
I just had email from DPMS....22lr upper not discontinued, but is not currently on their production calendar, and said it's doubtful they will produce a NYS-compliant version.

If/when it becomes available, since my AR-15 is already registered with NYSP as an "assault weapon" can I legally add a .22LR upper with threaded barrel to it, since it will have been produced after registration deadline? Reading PL265 and PL400 doesn't seem to address this issue.

When D.A.s and judges, let alone cops, have no clue, how can I? Calls to both NYSP permit section and AG's office today produced conflicting answers to this question.

BUT, DPMS (and retailers like Midway) probably won't ship to NYS anyhow. Like buying internet ammo, without it being shipped to an FFL, despite MOU suspending that provision. Jobs, family, pension, homes, etc. tie me to NYS, or I would go to Idaho.

#10 ·
I have the target crown barrel on my DPMS and it is on a lower with a spur grip so it doesn't fit the Safeact description of an assault weapon. Don't know why you would need a NY compliant version of an upper if there is no thread, brake, or flash hider on the barrel.

#13 ·
Remington has assumed control of DPMS. I just spoke to a DPMS customer Rep. last week and they told me that Remington will eventually have the DPMS 22LR platform available some time in 2017. I have on back order (8 months) the complete upper assembly, 22LR bull barrel version. You can still buy a Nordic Upper in 22LR but is hard to find but is not NYS compliant as it has a threaded barrel with a A2 flash hider installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.