New York Firearms Forum banner

Authorized range? - NYC Premise permit

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ThomasAdam 
#1 ·
PREMISES LICENSE: IS A RESTRICTED TYPE OF LICENSE. It is issued for your RESIDENCE or BUSINESS. The Licensee may possess a handgun ONLY on the premises of the address indicated on the front of the license. Licensees may also transport their handguns and ammunition in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS, DIRECTLY to and from an authorized range, or hunting location. HANDGUNS MUST BE UNLOADED while being transported.

I was checking out the Guns For Hire website and read this:

Can I travel from another State (like NY) with my firearms to attend your courses?​

The answer is yes. New Jersey firearms law provides specific exemptions for travel into the Garden State for these activities."

Based on the NYC premise license language, it reads like I can travel to NJ to the Guns for Hire range with my own gun, once I buy one.
Am I reading this incorrectly?

I know that I can travel to NY gun ranges but didn't think NJ was even an option.

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey

[HR][/HR]

NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit

P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068
609-882-2000 Extension 2290 (Phone)
609-406-9826 Fax
[HR][/HR]All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
  • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

#3 ·
No, you're incorrect. The key phrase is "authorized range." NYC can only authorize ranges that are located in the city so you're restricted to ranges in the city. In fact, you can not transport your gun outside of the city for any reason unless you're permanently moving out of the city (and you surrendered your NYC permit), going hunting upstate or Long Island (you need a hunting authorization card and can't take it hunting in other states), or you get the NYPD's permission, which you'll never get. Now, you're probably about to go through all the mental gymnastics of disbelief at the arbitrary unfairness, disgust, then trying to find loopholes. You'll come across FOPA when you start digging. Doesn't apply in this instance. You'll wonder if you can ship your firearm to another state to get around "carrying?" Nope.
You'll wonder if you can get over if you're caught by telling the cops you were going to/from a range or hunting. Risky and easy to disprove. Lol ...We all go through it. I did recently because I wanted to bring my NYC gun to a second home in Connecticut. No dice. Rest assured, this is a settled matter and people have lost their licenses for violating this rule.

#4 · (Edited)
NYC_SW; what you have written is correct.
Unfortunately; NYC premises pistol license holders are burdened with these in-house internal regulations that do NOT apply to restricted carry pistol license holders in counties outside of the Great Gotham City. RTNYC is new to the NYPD pistol licensing game; and had he resided in VT, NH, ME or PA he wouldn't have to go thru this rigamore....So here's a story for you about "assault weapons" and the SAFE Act:

A local gun dealer wanted to sell me a SEMI-automatic Thompson M1921 44 caliber RIFLE that is modeled after the AUTOMATIC (machine gun) version. I really would have liked to purchase the rifle for home defense BUT it is classified as an 'ASSAULT WEAPON' in New York State because it has a GRIP and a 30 round magazine. Keep in mind the rifle can NOT be converted over to AUTOMATIC fire. To make a long story short; the dealer said you're a sworn officer of the sheriff's office; you can purchase the rifle and register it with NYSP. "SO what happens when I retire, I asked??" His response; "You have to get rid of it or move out-of-state." Now I know why many of my retired co-workers head down South.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.