Close

Default Firearms Training Log Book?

Recently, I've been thinking about the need to keep track of any training I do so that I have a written record instead of just a fading memory. I did some searching online and found one by Rob Pincus here:
    http://www.staysafemedia.com/product...G%20LOG%20BOOK

It seems like it has prompts for all the necessary info I'd like to record, in addition to a few articles by various instructors, spots for class photos, etc.

Does anyone else keep such a log, or even use the one published by Pincus? I'd be curious to hear both good and bad for his book, as I'm half considering designing my own log as a project rather than buying one. Sure, buying one is easy, but putting my own together is half the fun..... like building a rifle. I don't plan on going to a publisher or anything like that... just coming up with something that I would use for myself and pass along to friends if they are interested. Something where I could go to Kinko's and print/bind a half dozen or so as needed.

I'd love to hear from people on this site.... people who train often, people who train occasionally, and from trainers themselves.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    Ernest Hemingway, April 1936

The sheep pretend the wolf will never come; but the sheepdog live for that day.

Private

Interesting idea. I am 100% in favor of firearms and defensive training, and have taken several classes, and plan on taking more. However, I have often wondered IF you ever need to deploy your training, in a justifiable manner, what could the legal field say about your training.... you were looking for a fight, etc. I know no matter what you do these days somebody can spin it anyway they want. I would rather take my chances and be well trained and prepared, as I think its a much better defense, but just something I am curious about. I would not deter anyone from taking training because of these thoughts. You are better off being well trained.

I didn't think of that view.... someone using my own training against me... hmmm. My response would be that all of the training was aimed toward being able to act safely if I ever found myself in a situation in which I could not avoid or escape the encounter. <------credit to Chris Fry there

My idea for it is to keep a record for myself, as well as a a record to show when I interview for different positions in the future.
    In the last three months, I have taken the same training class twice, and learned something new each time from a different group in the class. I just dont want to lose any of that. if I can record it while it's fresh, I'll be able to fall back on it forever.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

I actually have been working on keeping a resume of a training for what I've done. I was planning on creating my own logbook sheets so I can just 3-hole punch them and add them do a binder. That way I could separate them by carbine, pistol, cqc, etc.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Combat Focus Shooting Instructor | ADSI Member | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

InkedUpGunFighter.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikecentola View Post
    . ........ I could separate them by carbine, pistol, cqc, etc.
    Excellent idea.

I also like the idea of a binder.... Lets say I use all of the pages in the pistol section, with a binder I could simply add more.

Quote Originally Posted by OnPatrol View Post
    Excellent idea.

I also like the idea of a binder.... Lets say I use all of the pages in the pistol section, with a binder I could simply add more.
    Right! If you want I can just run copies off of mine and you can have them.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Combat Focus Shooting Instructor | ADSI Member | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

InkedUpGunFighter.com

I had a word document of my training classes. I just created tables with date/class name/instructior/short description/etc...

Now that I think of it, I wonder what happened to it.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

And if it's a full size binder, you could add the plastic sleeves and insert any certificates you pick up along the way. I'm liking this idea.... I initally was thinking of something bound together, but the binder thing makes much more sense to me.

Hey J,

The idea of keeping track of your training is something that has been around a long time and one reason that getting a certificate for every class you attend is a good idea. This documentation shows the extent to which you were willing to go, both time wise and financially, to learn about the responsibilites of and become proficient with the firearms you own or the personal protection related classes you attend. Some may look at it and say - "He's a gun nut looking for a fight" but as you know, the totality of the circumstances will determine your overall intent. If someone is carrying a gun in a bar out drinking with buddies and gets into a brawl for example then that line of thinking may be easily supported. However, for most people who train and are concerned with personal protection, this is not an issue because they AVOID problems such as outlined above and live a good defensive lifestyle.

In regards to Rob's training log book, it is an excellent addition to your kit simply because of the size of the log book and convenience. It allows you to immediately jot down notes during a class which you may or may not transfer over into a more personalized formal binder at a later date. The log book also provides an excellent resource for networking with members of the classes you attend, writing down phone numbers and emails etc. In addition, the log book has 35 short lessons or articles written by some of the industry's top professionals which to me are worth the price of the book ($19). Rob gave me mine 2 years ago at the summit in NH and I take it with me whenever I attend more professional development.

So, for the best of both worlds I would recommend getting a log book for convenience and then creating your own binder at home to hold certificates and possible more thorough notes from those you have taken via the log book. This is what I have done over the years and I have binders and folders with certificates and notes from martial arts training, shooting, knife work, impact weapon training, tactics and so on dating back to 1989, the year I graduated high school and recieved my first black belt in karate.

See attached pic from my log book 2010 Summit for Armed Society knife class with Tom Sotis.

kmussack

Log books are an interesting subject.

I keep a log book of my flying because I haven’t accrued enough hours yet to have grown entirely bored with the idea of “building hours”. Besides it’s fun to look back in the log book and be reminded of particular flights.

Those long-time pilots I know haven’t made a log book entry in years because after a point it really doesn’t matter.

A log book of any kind really becomes more of a personal journal or diary than anything else. I used to keep a complete written record of my workout routines, weight loss, training, match scores, etc. Then I realized that I was spending a substantial amount of time keeping records without an identifiable purpose.

From time to time I’ll chart a specific project such as weight loss or run times if I feel I need a motivational reference or I think that by doing so I’ll be compelled to work harder (mind game).

The keeping of a log book during precision shooting exercises is taught as the “professional” way to do that kind of work. However with the advent of handheld ballistic computers I’ve discovered less utility to the written log entries.

I’ve even stopped logging round counts on my precision rifles because it really doesn’t matter how many rounds have been fired. I’ll replace the tubes when necessary not at a specific round count.

One of Musashi’s rules is; “Do nothing which is of no use.”

Before committing to the maintenance of a log book ask yourself; “What use will this be?”

I keep a list of all the different classes I take, when they were held, and who the instructor or company was. I have a note book that I will scrible in if there is something I hadn't heard before that I really want to retain. I never really thought about putting together a 3 ring binder but I like the idea.

I'll work on a layout for the binder pages, and I'll post it up for review by everyone to see what they think.

InkedUpGunFighter.com

Default Made my own

So I took what I liked about everybody's ideas and combined them.... It's small enough to throw in my kit (rather than a full size binder), but it's a 3 ring binder so I can add pages that I need. One thing I thought about was the possibility that in a small log book, there wouldn't be enough note taking room and with a bound book, I couldn't add pages for notes.

So this is a small binder with 8.5" x 5.5" pages and I printed the sheets from a Excel worksheet. On the left side, there are spots for all the class data:

Course Title/Type
    Company Name
    Company Website
    Date
    Hours
    Assistant Instructrs
    Equipment Used and/or Purchased
    Approx rounds
    Class Size
    Cost
    Certificate Issued?
    Course Objectives
    Topics Discussed

Then on the right, it's just lined for notes or diagrams. I then printed a bunch of sheets that are for double sided for notes that I can add as needed if one page isnt enough.

I ordered the Log Book by Rob Pincus and it should be here this week. Maybe I'll see something in there I like and make changes to mine..... pretty easy to do since I just saved mine on Excel.

Again thanks to everybody who has posted suggestions on the thread, PM'd me, or emailed me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I took a bunch of notes at MDTS CPS 1&2 on Saturday on the back of handouts, so I scribbled them in my new book to get it started.......

If anyone likes what I put together, shoot me a PM and I'll get one to you.

I like it. J stop by when you get a chance so I can take a look at it!

InkedUpGunFighter.com

lightvibe........ Where do I know you from? You got any relatives I know? Just sounds so familiar.....

Quote Originally Posted by lightvibe View Post
    I like it. J stop by when you get a chance so I can take a look at it!
    What's the schedule look like for the shop on Friday? I am out of work about 1530-1600'ish.

Hmm, I'm going to be at the NRA Instructors class from 2pm to 8pm, so that looks like a nogo. No rush, we can get together next tuesday or something.

InkedUpGunFighter.com

So here's what I did for mine...

I made these in illustrator and converted them to a two page PDF, so if you want my page layout, I can post it up in here for people to print from. I took all my certificates and scanned them so I have back up copies and then I put them into sheet protectors in the back of my binder. One of the major differences from Jason's and mine is that I plan to use the front/back of one sheet for one class as opposed to be able to open it like a book and have left/right. The reason for that is each class is self-contained on a single page which can be archived into a sheet protector if I want to.

Basically, I wanted to create this Training Book which is essentially my resume for personal protection and security, which can hopefully be used to my benefit in the unfortunate event that something happens regarding myself or my family.

I also created a spreadsheet which will be a quick reference for the classes that I have taken and the important information regarding that. I can't believe I had 70 hours of training last year! Lets try to double that for 2011

InkedUpGunFighter.com

Looking good Mike!
    I'm glad to see the ideas we have turning into an actual book... Now lets get those pages filled!

Looks good, Mike. I'd like to see close ups if you can post. Thanks!

Of the book right? haaaaaaa

yeah I'll take some more tomorrow with my better camera. Do you want me to just email you the PDF?

InkedUpGunFighter.com

Sure man, whatever works for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFry View Post
    Sure man, whatever works for ya.
    Just emailed it over to you...along with some scantily clad pics.

InkedUpGunFighter.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikecentola View Post
    Just emailed it over to you...along with some scantily clad pics.
    ...awesome....