Not bad for a girls gun! (Range report)
Close

Default Not bad for a girls gun! (Range report)

First a little back story here.

For the longest time my better half had not shown any interest in firearms, it is even safe to say she did not care for them at all, ironic I know....

A few weeks ago while at the shop helping us out, she for some reason took a liking to the S&W MP15-22. I saw this as a great opportunity to review how to properly hold and work the basic functions of the rifle. Maybe just maybe I could peak her interest....

After a few minutes of her looking over the gun, I went in for the kill.

Me: So do you want one?
    Her: It's cool, but I am not sure.

With that almost non-existing maybe, I decided it was time for her to have a gun, but I added a twist...

Me: Well, what if I build you an AR with a .22 conversion, that way when you are ready we can just switch to the larger 5.56.
    Her: I don't think I will want to move up.
    Me: so you are saying I can build one for you? :snky:
    Her: I guess, but what if I don't like it?
    Me: (trying to hold the excitement back) Oh you will, trust me...

Of course I had my own motivation for wanting to add another AR to the collection. A basic AR build would be oh so nice for those trainings I want to do this year.

The next day I went around the shop collecting parts for the build. We had 95% of the parts on hand which fulfilled my need for instant gratification.
    When it was all said in done the build Sheet looked something like this....

CMMG .22 conversion
    Spikes BMT lower
    DPMS LPK
    YHM upper
    YHM Carbine length Diamond Free Float tube.
    YHM two piece Gas block
    YHM black gas tube
    YHM 5.56, 14.5" barrel with perm fixed YHM brake brings it to 16" overall
    YHM BCG (for future use of course)
    basic charging handle with badger latch
    Magpul MOE stock
    Magpul trigger guard
    Magpul front and rear BUIS
    voltor mil-spec buffer tube
    Mil-spec buffer and spring.

With the shopping list complete, I soon realized my "basic" build was a bit nicer than planed.

Fast forward to earlier today, we took a trip down to visit my parents and spend some time shooting with my dad and a buddy of mine.

I started off with the .22 kit and got it sited. After a quick review of handling and basic functions she was off and running, ringing those steel spinners one after another. I was kind of surprised and a bit proud! The more she shot the more she smiled, and I gotta say that CMMG kit ran 100% I will with out doubt recommend that kit to and of our customers. We put about 200 rounds of .22 throughout the day and not one hiccup.

I of course brought the YHM bolt with me. After a quick inspection, I tossed in the YHM bolt and loaded it up with 5.56. made some quick adjustments to the iron sites (love the ease of use the Magpul's offer) It ran like a champ, no matter what random ammo I tossed in the mags, and to top it off the gun was more accurate that I am with iron sites. I realized just how spoiled I have been by my red dot's for last few years. I guess I will just have to spend more time behind this rig practicing up. Oh Darn!

We switched back and fourth between the .22 kit and the regular bolt several times, as I wanted to see if any issues would pop up due to residue build up from the .22 kit. Not one issue or problem what so ever all day. The gun just plain ran!

The best part of the day came when she asked if I could put the regular bolt back in and she could try it with the "big ammo". As I expected she enjoyed that even more. She did happen have a small moment of weakness and decided to shoot the small steel .22 only plate and put a perfect hole right in through the middle of it! With out missing a beat she turns back and says "Not bad for a girls gun, huh?" . After a quick laugh and making her feel bad for causing destruction, she finished the rest of the mag and we packed up.

I don't have any pics from today (I forgot me friggin camera), but here are some pics of the gun pre flip ups, and rail covers.

I just want to stress how well this .22 kit functioned, I have shot/used other kits that were nothing but jam-o-matics. This CMMG kit is just plain top notch. It is a great way to reduce ammo costs and still be able to practice on that AR platform .

Happy shooting,

Brad
    Allstar Tactical
    1041 Gravel Road 14580 (585) 324-0345
    AR-15 Parts & Rifles Manufacturer | Modern Military Firearms & Accessories |Optics, Knives, and Gear

Specializing in Civilian, Law Enforcement, Special Forces, and Military Sales

FFL Type 01 | FFL Type 07 | Class II SOT
    DUNS: 832966449 | CAGE: 5U7P8
    NRA Business Alliance Member | NSSF Supporting Member | BBB Accredited

www.allstartactical.com | facebook | twitter | line card

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Sergeant

good review and its good to hear that there is a reliable .22 conversion, I cant stress how nice it is to have a .22 that is essentially the same as the main gun it is used to train for at a price that wont make you lose your shirt.

Hope to be hearing a lot more reviews

Nice Story...
    [email protected]
    Defensive Studies Group
    GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
    NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Nice build Brad! I'm glad you were able to convince your girl to shoot. Mine isn't big into guns either, but every now and again I can get her out. I am almost positive I'll never get her behind an ar. Maybe if I pull out the pee shooter she would be ok with it.

That's kind of how my wife got interested. Just the right timing and I jumped on the opportunity to put a Ruger GP-100 in her hand loaded with .38 specials. I figured she'd just shoot it once and hand it back to me, but she suprised me. The next thing I knew she was applying for her permit.

I can't go to the range alone now! Its a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok View Post
    good review and its good to hear that there is a reliable .22 conversion, I cant stress how nice it is to have a .22 that is essentially the same as the main gun it is used to train for at a price that wont make you lose your shirt.

Hope to be hearing a lot more reviews

I want to test the .22 kit a bit more, plan is to run it in my buddies S&W, and a few others if I can get volunteers.

I really like to have first hand experience with the products we carry and recommend, so whenever get the chance to put them to good use I will take it and report back here.
    Allstar Tactical
    AR-15 Parts & Rifles Manufacturer | Modern Military Firearms & Accessories |Optics, Knives, and Gear

The Ceiner design (same as cmmg's ) .22 conv. are the best ... they run like a raped ape. Now get some BDM's so you don't have to reload as often and you can use them in your chesst rig/vest etc for inexpensive training.
    We're all just acolyte warriors until we're tested in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilrp View Post
    The Ceiner design (same as cmmg's ) .22 conv. are the best ... they run like a raped ape. Now get some BDM's so you don't have to reload as often and you can use them in your chesst rig/vest etc for inexpensive training.

I was just looking at those earlier today.
    Allstar Tactical

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I want to test the .22 kit a bit more, plan is to run it in my buddies S&W, and a few others if I can get volunteers.

I really like to have first hand experience with the products we carry and recommend, so whenever get the chance to put them to good use I will take it and report back here.

i hit up the range at least once a week and usually go through a brick of .22, i'd be down to throw it in my Olympic if you want.

Nice build, Brad. I am glad you got her out shooting! Another convert.

Brad, you're always welcome to my inventory if you're looking for test subjects!

feel free to use my bushmaster and dpms to test if you want

Sergeant

Brad my elite trigger finger and uncanny ability to waste ammo in a pointless manner is always at ur disposal

Sweet Brad