Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By FledNYistan
  • 1 Post By OwnTheRide
  • 1 Post By multical
  • 1 Post By OwnTheRide

Thread: Questions on NY ammo laws

Private

Default Questions on NY ammo laws

I am sorry for posting this thread, but I have searched ad nauseum online and in forums for direction on NY's current ammunition laws. There is conflicting information everywhere, and I'm hoping someone can set me straight.

First, I bought some .380 ACP at a local Walmart the other day and the clerk who sold it to me asked to see my pistol permit to make sure I had a .380 listed on it before selling me that ammo. This is what got me curious about the current laws.

Questions:

1) Does NYS allow you to purchase ammunition only if you have a pistol permit? Subsequently if so, are you limited to purchasing ammo in the caliber for the gun that is listed on your pistol permit?

2) Are sellers of ammo required to enter in your driver's license info and so on when you make a purchase?

3) Are you allowed to bring in ammo purchased in other states? For example, if I go to Pennsylvania to visit friends, can I buy ammo there and bring it back to NY, or am I required to transfer it via an FFL?

4) Are there limits to the amount of ammo one can purchase?

Thanks.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

1) No. NYS law states that ammunition designed exclusively for pistols or revolvers may not be sold to a person who is not authorized to possess said pistol or revolver. But I don't know of any ammo that is designed exclusively for pistols. There may be some, but they are certainly not any of the common calibers we are familiar with. Citation from the law, § 270.00:

5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this section,
    it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any ammunition
    designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any person, not
    authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation of this
    section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.
    2) Legally, no, but some stores may have such a policy. Note: I'm not 100% up to speed on the SAFE act ammo regulations that are suspended at the moment. There may be something in there about recording driver's license info, but it doesn't apply right now.

3) Yes, you can bring ammo in from other states. You can also have it delivered to your house (order online). That (having it shipped to your house) will change if/when they lift the suspension of the SAFE act ammo provisions, but even after that, you still will be able to legally bring in ammo from out of state.

4) Legally, no, though stores may have their own policies.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

Corporal

I ran into this last weekend at the Walmart in Watkins Glen. The woman running the ammo case refused to sell me 9mm without my permit. I proceeded to tell her it was for a Ruger 9mm Carbine rifle , and it was none of walmarts business, but she wouldn't budge. I then stated that what you are telling me is if I have a rifle chambered for a pistol round I'm out of luck?,she said yes, that was Walmart policy,but then said, well,Its actually on a store by store basis determined by the store Manager. I did get pretty testy with her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

Walmart sucks for buying ammo. Go elsewhere. I prefer gander outdoors since they just ask your birthday or an actual gun store. Stores can make whatever policy they want and you won’t win with dummies at Walmart.

Corporal

Walmart in SayrePA never asks a single question.

Private

I ran into this trying to buy some 9mm and the clerk even admitted it was a store policy and not the law so I went elsewhere and got what I needed.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    Walmart sucks for buying ammo. Go elsewhere. I prefer gander outdoors since they just ask your birthday or an actual gun store. Stores can make whatever policy they want and you won’t win with dummies at Walmart.
    Walmart sucks in general, but down here in FL, a 50 rd box of Remington 9mm 115 gr is $8.97. It was $14.99 in NY. I have also purchased ammunition at Shoot Straight, more expensive but it saves a trip to Walmart.

Completed the training class, and got the certificate to apply for my FL CWCP. Will cut my NY CC permit up into sharp little triangles and send it to Andrew Gasbag and tell him to shove the sharp little corners you know where.
    XD9 SC, Verité and rccummings like this.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by FledNYistan View Post
    Walmart sucks in general, but down here in FL, a 50 rd box of Remington 9mm 115 gr is $8.97. It was $14.99 in NY. I have also purchased ammunition at Shoot Straight, more expensive but it saves a trip to Walmart.

Completed the training class, and got the certificate to apply for my FL CWCP. Will cut my NY CC permit up into sharp little triangles and send it to Andrew Gasbag and tell him to shove the sharp little corners you know where.
    9mm ammo at gander outdoors in under $10.00 and I get zero hassle from them. https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/produ...ounds&i=200533

I’ll go to gander outdoors over Walmart any day.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by FledNYistan View Post

I left NY and moved to Fl. did the class waited the mandatory 6 mo. after becoming a resident, went to the Pistol permit office, filled out forms on computer, got pictures and fingerprints, paid and seven days later I had my CWP in the mail, good for 7 years. it took me 9 months in NY back in the early 80's
    Last edited by XP100; 10-06-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XP100 View Post
    waited the mandatory 6 mo. after becoming a resident
    Odd, given that they issue non-resident permits.
    Vicarious likes this.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    1) No. NYS law states that ammunition designed exclusively for pistols or revolvers may not be sold to a person who is not authorized to possess said pistol or revolver. But I don't know of any ammo that is designed exclusively for pistols. There may be some, but they are certainly not any of the common calibers we are familiar with. Citation from the law, § 270.00:

2) Legally, no, but some stores may have such a policy. Note: I'm not 100% up to speed on the SAFE act ammo regulations that are suspended at the moment. There may be something in there about recording driver's license info, but it doesn't apply right now.

3) Yes, you can bring ammo in from other states. You can also have it delivered to your house (order online). That (having it shipped to your house) will change if/when they lift the suspension of the SAFE act ammo provisions, but even after that, you still will be able to legally bring in ammo from out of state.

4) Legally, no, though stores may have their own policies.
    including Subsection 4; since it is referenced in Sub section 5:

4. Sales of ammunition not prohibited.  Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prevent, or interfere in any way with, the sale of ammunition for revolvers or pistols of any kind, or for rifles, shot guns, or other arms, belonging or which may belong to any persons whether as sporting or hunting weapons or for the purpose of protection to them in their homes, or, as they may go abroad;  and manufacturers are authorized to continue to manufacture, and wholesalers and dealers to continue to deal in and freely to sell ammunition to all such persons for such purposes.

5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver.  The violation of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.

In other words that's WHY they ask for your permit.

Last edited by YourNYTech; 10-07-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    Mike

Private

Do you have specific information about online sellers who will ship to NY. I've tried to order ammunition online before only to find at check-out that they won't ship to NY.

Private

I left NY and moved to Fl. did the class waited the mandatory 6 mo. after becoming a resident, went to the Pistol permit office, filled out forms on computer, got pictures and fingerprints, paid and seven days later I had my CWP in the mail, good for y years. it took me 9 months in NY back in the early 80's
    I did not know about the 6 month waiting period, but I guess I timed it right, then! My NY CCW took 18 months total - it took six months from the time I called (Dec 2, 2015) to get my appointment for the paperwork, prints and photo (June 3, 2016)!!! Then, once I had all my paperwork and references together (Late November, 2016), it took another seven months after I submitted it to finally get my permit, which I got in June 2017.

Getting back to the original topic, I've had no issues with WalMart here, but I also buy at Shoot Straight and will not buy at Dick's.

Targetsportsusa dot com

Major

Odd, given that they issue non-resident permits.
    A Fl. resident permit allows me to carry in more states than a Non-resident permit.

A Fl. resident permit allows me to carry in more states than a Non-resident permit.
    I wasn't saying you should have applied for an NR permit (which doesn't exist and you would be incapable of applying for if it did). I was saying that it was odd that they impose (per your statement) a six month residency requirement, given that they issue permits to people who never have resided within the state.

In fact, I suspect no such residency requirement exists. I just reviewed the FL application instructions and nowhere on there does it state anything about a required minimum residency. Do you have a source for this purported six month residency requirement?
    Last edited by OwnTheRide; 10-08-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Private

Dicks Sporting goods as well as local dealer have both sold me 9 without asking to see permit. Both have said they don’t legally have to see license or permit

I just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm from https://www.targetsportsusa.com/ for $175.00 ........... $177.54 total ... free shipping by FED EX

Corporal

Dicks has jumped on the Walmart liberal bandwagon and refuses to sell 9mm without a pistol permit. Someone said it’s a store by store policy which is incorrect. When the ammo rings up it goes into a central software system that requires the license. I am told the software may have been written to include the NYC administrative law which does require a pistol license for any ammo that may be able to be used in a pistol. 22 included.

Corporal

As long as you don’t have a NYC zip code Buds Gun Shop is another that will ship to your door.

Corporal

Looks to me like anyone with a military ID can also buy pistol ammo at Walmart. Under PL 265.20 military has same exemption as police. I wouldn’t use that to buy a pistol in NY, but if you want ammo for a PC-9 rifle and Wally World gives you a hard time - try it. I did and it worked.
    XAE289 likes this.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by multical View Post
    Looks to me like anyone with a military ID can also buy pistol ammo at Walmart. Under PL 265.20 military has same exemption as police. I wouldn’t use that to buy a pistol in NY, but if you want ammo for a PC-9 rifle and Wally World gives you a hard time - try it. I did and it worked.
    Didn't work for me at the Walmart in Newburgh. I told the employee it was for a carbine and was told I needed to show a receipt for the carbine. I stick to TargetsportsUSA and local gun stores. If the big box stores don't support my 2nd amendment rights, they can forgo the money I spend exercising those rights. I get most of my ammo now from TSUSA and reloading, but if I drop into a local gun store to browse and chat, I'll at least pick up a box of ammo if I didn't find anything interesting.

Corporal

XAE289, Having a receipt for a carbine isn’t the same as the PL265.20 exemption. Are you either military or a LEO? That’s where it would apply. I’m surprised they would ask for a rifle receipt because I’ve experienced that it doesn’t usually work. When you are in the Newburgh area jump over to Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden. No problem there ever and they have a fair selection. I stay away from Dicks. For larger purchases I’d run over to Collector Firearms aka Ammo4guns in Hopewell Junction. Tulammo steel case 9mm by the 1k case is $139 (bring cash to avoid a CC 2% fee). As far as reloading, I’m with you there, see my post on the Winchester 9mm flash hole problem.

Major

I wasn't saying you should have applied for an NR permit (which doesn't exist and you would be incapable of applying for if it did). I was saying that it was odd that they impose (per your statement) a six month residency requirement, given that they issue permits to people who never have resided within the state.

In fact, I suspect no such residency requirement exists. I just reviewed the FL application instructions and nowhere on there does it state anything about a required minimum residency. Do you have a source for this purported six month residency requirement?
    A newly opened shop where I took my class told me it was 6 months after I became a resident to apply for a Resident CWP. I still had a gun in my truck when I left the house without a permit just not concealed on my person.
    Last edited by XP100; 08-10-2019 at 07:10 PM.

A newly opened shop where I took my class told me it was 6 months after I became a resident to apply for a Resident CWP. I still had a gun in my truck when I left the house without a permit just not concealed on my person.
    Gun shops are notoriously bad places for information about gun laws. For that matter, so are classes. Sounds to me like someone fed you a line of BS.

Really, there's only one good source: the law itself. Any time someone tells you something about gun laws, ask them to cite their source.
    TMC likes this.