Is there now an Ammo shortage like the Obama shortage?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Owl Man

Thread: Is there now an Ammo shortage like the Obama shortage?

I’ve been hearing some news about the beginning of a 22, 9mm and 556 shortage recently and was wondering what’s going on in areas other than Albany county. Last I checked, there was a reduced amount on the shelf, including 12ga big time.
    Last edited by Glockman; 03-16-2020 at 09:15 PM.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

All over the country

Must have been living under a rock or something, 'cause I didn't realize there was a run on ammunition. Went to stock up on 22lr and 9mm Luger the other day and it was pretty hard to come by. Wonder how long the drought will last.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

Ammo prices are just insane. Highest I’ve ever seen. I’m well stocked so I’m passing on the expensive stuff. Time will tell and I hope Trump wins or it’s going to be a long wait.

Corporal

Defensive HP is nonexistent. Government entities (HLS) has secured billions of rounds in contracts, grab it where you can find it.

I just managed to get a case (50 boxes of 100) of .22 Short. So at least I will have range ammo for my .22s for a while. What I really want though is more 38 special....

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Owl Man View Post
    I just managed to get a case (50 boxes of 100) of .22 Short. So at least I will have range ammo for my .22s for a while. What I really want though is more 38 special....
    Get a press and make your own. .38 special is easy. Easy to collect at the range since it's a revolver. (you do save your brass didn't you??) Very flexible round as to bullet and charge. Mild wadcutter to +P HP and everything in between. What's a box of 38 spec cost these days? Make your own for around $6/box.

Interesting Idea, dariv. Thought never crossed my mind. May have to consider that.

Private

currently prices are way up and availability is down at most online retailers. If you're interested in finding ammo online several of the retailers (that ship to NYS) will let you create alerts for the caliber yo're interested in.

Reloading components are hard to find. Primers in particular.
    Everything is scarce.

Private

It's really bad especially for 9mm and 38. Was up and down NYS last month and none of the Walmart's or Dick's had any. Guys working the counter told me it gets sold out within an hour of it coming in. Also was in PA at the end of August and same thing! I can't get the range (now that its reopened) as I only have a few hundred rounds left. This needs to stop ASAP.

It's pretty frustrating. Up until maybe six weeks ago I could find 22 lr, 9 mm Luger, and 38 Special here and there, but since then I've seen a whole lot of nothing.
    Vicarious likes this.

Private

I think I read somewhere that distributors/manufacturers (not sure if it's multiple, but I remember Hornady being named) were going to stop dealing with NYS, I don't know if that has something to do with it on top of the nationwide shortage?

Man, hope that's not true!

Private

Ah, scratch that, I misread a repost of a two year old press release, and what they said was they won't sell to the State of NY, as in the government/institution or any of its agencies. But what is that about NYS telling financial institutions and insurance companies to not do business with the gun and ammo industry? Did that happen? Is that even legal? It sounds like something out of a RICO complaint.