Dillon 550
Close

Thread: Dillon 550

Private

Default Dillon 550

Anyone have experience with the Dillon 550? Would you recommend it? Thank you.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Its been almost a month since you posted this.

A Dillon 550 is a great platform to start on. It is very easy to change from small to large primer operation. It is easy to change from one caliber to another. Once you understand the functions of each stage you can custom make just about any round that you have a gun for. Oh, and there is that 100% No Bullcrap warranty that you get for owning one. Their customer service is the best.

If you take care of it it will last a few generations.

...Ron
    2% People! All you have to be is 2% smarter than whatever it is you are working on. Jeesh.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by dbeids View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Dillon 550? Would you recommend it? Thank you.
    I have one. Never could get the powder to dump the same charge twice. I have a friend that can set one up blind folded and it works like a charm. I don't trust the one I have. I got a Lee single stage setup and a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper and the process is slower but I've loaded thousands of rounds and it's fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffoa View Post
    I have one. Never could get the powder to dump the same charge twice. I have a friend that can set one up blind folded and it works like a charm. I don't trust the one I have. I got a Lee single stage setup and a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper and the process is slower but I've loaded thousands of rounds and it's fine for me.
    I can see with long range shooting where you need a perfect charge every time. In that case a better charging method with scale is necessary.

I started with a Lee Challenger single stage. Other than one rifle round that I have to form from .357 shells, I don't use it very much. I make between 10-15K rounds per year. 99% pistol and do not see an issue with having a charge .02gr off charge. I use both flake and ball powders and the small charge bar does the trick for me.

I would take your powder charge apart, clean it, and try it again. Millions and millions of rounds have been made with these machines safely. I am happy that you want to be safe. Keep your powder dry.

...Ron
    2% People! All you have to be is 2% smarter than whatever it is you are working on. Jeesh.