7.62X39 Ammo manufacterer question
Close

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Major Different Drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on the edge
    Posts
    2,055

    Default 7.62X39 Ammo manufacterer question

    A week or two ago I purchased a SKS-45 at a gun show. Also got 500 rounds of Brown Bear ammo for the rifle.
    Several people at the show mentioned to buy Russian and not Chinese as it was less corrosive. This is all new to me.
    There is another large show this weekend. (Love AZ) I would like to pick up some more Ammo for the SKS. Seems like everything at the shows run about .25 cents a round out the door no matter what the manufacturer. The names mean nothing to me at this point in time. I am learning.
    Can anyone list what is more preferable or less corrosive? Maybe a few names I can look for and what I should stay away from?
    Tula, silver Bear, Brown Bear etc. They seem to all show up in 500 and 1,000 round cases.
    Thanks
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

  2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
  3. #2
    Colonel Dieter122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Saratoga County
    Posts
    4,400

    Default

    Chinese isn't even importable so... Don't even worry. It's mostly "collector" ammo now.

    All new mfg Russian x39 is Non corrosive

  4. #3
    Major SPIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SARATOGA SPRINGS NY
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    The SKS eats anything from Tula to Double Tap. Get the best price and be happy.
    Whenever I hear the word racist anymore the only thing that comes to mind is that it is a Democrat someone disagreed with attempting to insult them.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Sergeant MPi-KMS-72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Otsego
    Posts
    367

    Default

    If you are shooting new production nothing should be corrosive. Older Yugoslavian, Ghinese East German, Russian, Czech etc will be all corrosive but if you are buying current stuff I would not worry about it.

    If you DO get some corrosive it isn't a big deal either really, cleaning is a piece of cake, see here:
    Corrosive Ammo Cleaning

  7. #5
    Major Different Drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on the edge
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Thanks for all the responses. Maybe a dumb question but is there a lot of "Old" corrosive ammo on the market? All the 1,000 round boxes I see are plain brown card board. Is it safe to assume that everything I see is new production? Is really old surplus corrosive stuff marked as such?
    So NO CHINESE ammo is allowed to be imported?
    Tula, Brown Bear etc is all Russian? Yes, I know my rifle wa made in the Tula factory so guess Tula is Russian.
    Thanks for the cleaning link. Seems as though I read somewhere about cleaning with windex of some similar product.
    Next gun show is this Sat. I want to be well informed prior to attending.
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

  8. #6
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Buy Tula, brown Bear , Wolf, Herters, they are all 100% non corrosive. The only corrosive 7.62x39 I have come across is Yugo ammo and that has only mildly corrosive primers.

  9. #7
    Major Different Drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on the edge
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
    Buy Tula, brown Bear , Wolf, Herters, they are all 100% non corrosive. The only corrosive 7.62x39 I have come across is Yugo ammo and that has only mildly corrosive primers.
    Interesting. I just finished reading 3 posts to other forums where people were complaining that Herters was VERY corrosive. One guy sent a letter to Cabela's about it. Their response was that the "non corrosive" marking on the box meant that the ammo would not corrode while in storage. It had nothing to do with corrosive residue left in the firearm after using it. Also seems that TulAmmo and Herters is one in the same?
    Apparently "Bear" labeled ammo comes from a different production facility. I forget the name but it begins with a "B".
    (Berula? )
    I realize that the SKS will function with just about any brand of ammo. However, I am seeing it all priced almost exactly the same so I figure why not get the least corrosive brand I can get.
    I am not sure why but I seem to be leaning toward the "Bear" ammo. And within that name I cannot figure out what th difference is between Brown,Silver and Gold. ( I think it is Gold.)
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

  10. #8
    Major Mhall10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Saratoga Springs
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    Interesting. I just finished reading 3 posts to other forums where people were complaining that Herters was VERY corrosive. One guy sent a letter to Cabela's about it. Their response was that the "non corrosive" marking on the box meant that the ammo would not corrode while in storage. It had nothing to do with corrosive residue left in the firearm after using it. Also seems that TulAmmo and Herters is one in the same?
    Apparently "Bear" labeled ammo comes from a different production facility. I forget the name but it begins with a "B".
    (Berula? )
    I realize that the SKS will function with just about any brand of ammo. However, I am seeing it all priced almost exactly the same so I figure why not get the least corrosive brand I can get.
    I am not sure why but I seem to be leaning toward the "Bear" ammo. And within that name I cannot figure out what th difference is between Brown,Silver and Gold. ( I think it is Gold.)
    its been about 5 months since i shot my ak, I used tula in it last time, havent cleaned it yet, no rust at all. Tula is safe

  11. #9
    General RayKnobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    City of Rochester
    Posts
    9,137

    Default

    Get Wolf, Tula, or Golden Tiger. It's new manufacture and non corrosive.
    The Bear ammo is going to cost you more for no reason.
    Not sure why anyone would waste money buying Herters as it's a couple more cents around and probably just rebranded from another ammo factory.


    GunBot 762x39 rifle ammo


    Gunbot has cheap romanian surplus, haven't seen that before.

  12. #10
    Major SPIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SARATOGA SPRINGS NY
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    I strip my down as much as you can every time I shoot it so I can't comment on residue.
    Whenever I hear the word racist anymore the only thing that comes to mind is that it is a Democrat someone disagreed with attempting to insult them.

  13. #11
    Major Different Drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on the edge
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPIKER View Post
    I strip my down as much as you can every time I shoot it so I can't comment on residue.
    Yeah, I am pretty meticulous with my Pistols so I will more than likely be the same with the SKS.
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

  14. #12
    Major Different Drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on the edge
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhall10 View Post
    its been about 5 months since i shot my ak, I used tula in it last time, havent cleaned it yet, no rust at all. Tula is safe
    From what I have been able to find out Herters is in fact Tula. Some say they even find a Tula head stamp on their Herters.
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

  15. #13
    Major Different Drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on the edge
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayKnobs View Post
    Get Wolf, Tula, or Golden Tiger. It's new manufacture and non corrosive.
    The Bear ammo is going to cost you more for no reason.
    Not sure why anyone would waste money buying Herters as it's a couple more cents around and probably just rebranded from another ammo factory.


    GunBot 762x39 rifle ammo


    Gunbot has cheap romanian surplus, haven't seen that before.
    ther ammo factory.
    Yes, as I understand it Herters is made by Tula for Cabels's who hold rights to the Herters name. Cabela's probably trying to benefit from the reputation of the Herters of long ago.
    Actually Herters is one I do not see in the Yuma area. No Cabela's here. Lots of Tula and Brown bear. I have seen Wolf but no Golden Tiger yet. At the show Brown bear was exactly the same price as Tula.
    I am going to another show on Sat. I will see what they have there. If I buy any I will just get the least expensive. If all is the same I will probably go Brown Bea again. They are lacquer coated as opposed to polymer coated for the Tula. Not sure if one is better than the other. Also have to locate some stripper clips.
    EDIT: It is frustrating as the cost is out the door. However I need to be able to get it back to NY and this year I am flying home. I am guessing the 500 round box I purchased weighs about 20 pounds.
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

  16. #14
    Major SPIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SARATOGA SPRINGS NY
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    At this point I just buy boxer primed brass ammo...any manufacturer, so that I can reload for my Mini 30.
    Whenever I hear the word racist anymore the only thing that comes to mind is that it is a Democrat someone disagreed with attempting to insult them.

  17. #15
    Major
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Saratoga area
    Posts
    1,752

    Default

    If the price is the same get BOXER primed brass cased ammo over berdan primed brass or steel cased ammo.
    Boxer primed brass is worth 10 cents each to reloaders AFTER you shoot it.

    The SKS will work well with any ammo you give it. None of it on the market today is corrosive.

    Be aware that teh airline has rules about how ammo can be carried in flight!

    DO NOT attempt to keep it in your carry on bag! And you will likely need a LOCKING hard sided container to store it in your checked bag.
    Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7

  18. #16
    Major Different Drummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere on the edge
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by groovy mike View Post
    If the price is the same get BOXER primed brass cased ammo over berdan primed brass or steel cased ammo.
    Boxer primed brass is worth 10 cents each to reloaders AFTER you shoot it.

    The SKS will work well with any ammo you give it. None of it on the market today is corrosive.

    Be aware that teh airline has rules about how ammo can be carried in flight!

    DO NOT attempt to keep it in your carry on bag! And you will likely need a LOCKING hard sided container to store it in your checked bag.
    Yes, I have been researching the Airline thing. NEVER would I attempt to carry it on.
    Just found out 11 Pound Max. for checked Ammo. Guess I may have to ship to myself and hope for the best. I will be checking out to see how much a 20 pound package will cost to ship via FedEx or UPS. Maybe they have a website with size and weight charges from one Zip code to another.
    Any other year I would be driving home and would probably carrt tons of ammo back to NY and laugh at the silly laws.
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

Similar Threads

  1. Question about reloading 7.62x39
    By Bllade in forum Ammunition and Reloading
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •