Important NYFirearms Announcement!
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Important NYFirearms Announcement!

Exclamation Important NYFirearms Announcement!

HELLO NYF MEMBERS!

You may have noticed the downtime recently. We have moved to a new home. NYFirearms.com is now part of the family of firearms forums owned and run by OutdoorWS a subsidiary owned and operated by VerticalScope . This is a great thing for NYF members. The OutdoorWS team will be managing the operational and technical aspects of NYFirearms, however, I will remain on as an administrator.

This is great news for NYFirearms as I will be able to participate much more in the content of the website, rather than just fixing all the back end issues and paying the bills. It has been a fun 8 years of owning and running the website.

A SPECIAL thanks goes out to my team of admins and moderators, especially Jeff, Tim, and JT, who really have helped out throughout the years and explosive growth of NYFirearms.com.

The best part is that this does not affect you at all. All of the moderators, admins, and members just continue to function as normal, and hopefully VerticalScope will help us fix any future issues that may arise with the website!

It has been an absolutely pleasure building and growing this website and community for you all to enjoy. I am happy to continue to be a part of the site and see it grow well into the future!

Thank you all again for being part of this wonderful community!!

Regards,
    Mike Centola
    NYF Co-Founder / Owner / Administrator
    Last edited by mikeCentola; 09-08-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    http://mikecentola.com/assets/img/fo...ke-nyf-sig.jpg

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Firearms Instructor | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

InkedUpGunFighter.com IG: @mikecentola

RPD 46

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Hello everyone,

My name is Phil, I am a community manager for OutDoorWS a subsidiary woned by VerticalScope.com, I work with a small team that will continue to manage the webmaster duties for NYFirearms.com along with the current moderator team. We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it’s paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What am I here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact; you all contributed to building the strong foundation the site was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

Looking forward to working with you all.

Thanks,
    -Phil
    Last edited by NYFadmin; 09-08-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Captain

Dang Mike... I get why you did it but this doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Where VerticalScope goes, disaster soon follows. I experienced the fallout at 68forums and stories of similar happenings are easily found. Plus, they seem to have large, and growing, percentage of the firearms and outdoor recreation forums under their umbrella.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

I just a email this week from the Vertical Scope legal department that said Snowmobile World had been hacked and all of my personal data had been exposed.

p.s. can we swear like big boys now?
    RPD 46

Quote Originally Posted by RayKnobs View Post
    p.s. can we swear like big boys now?
    Jeff and I talked about that last night.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Firearms Instructor | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

RPD 46

there goes the neighborhood....

i was an admin on a motorcycle forum with over 100,000 forum members for more than 10 years... VS took over and things changed. i hope things don't change (for the worse) around here as this is my new "home" and I like how things are.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Gunner's Cigar bar?
    You are with our Constitution or you are with the Terrorists!

I will be remaining on as Admin, along with the rest of our current team, and we'll be working with the VS team to ensure everyone's satisfied with the website.

RPD 46

well I will Be Positive!
    Great!
    Je Suis 2nd Amendment

Certain fundamental rights are protected by the Constitution, put outside government’s reach, including the right to keep and bear arms

Major

I for one enjoy this site. Great bunch of folks. Hoping it stays this way.
    [COLOR=#ffffff][FONT=Georgia]This site is owned by Vertical Scope which is Antigun. Google it for yourself. Join us at ***************.com"[/FONT][/COLOR]

Vertical scope is buying everything up like LIF and SigTalk. They been hacked a while back ago. I ain't feeling safe any more!! I'll stay with my local owned sites like LongIslandGunClub.

Quote Originally Posted by Akarpteach View Post
    Vertical scope is buying everything up like LIF and SigTalk. They been hacked a while back ago. I ain't feeling safe any more!! I'll stay with my local owned sites like LongIslandGunClub.
    All good sights have been hacked at least once in their lifetime. As long as you're diligent in password change anniversaries, etc, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

RPD 46

It's the final countdown...
    One and done I always say. I said it once.

Quote Originally Posted by bananabandit View Post
    It's the final countdown...
    Now you got that song stuck in my head...
    But really the countdown to what?
    -Philip

In six months they'll lay off our moderators and outsource their jobs to a third world call center. The cigar bar will become the hookah cafe and Smurfette will be fitted for a burka. Oh the humanity.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.
    Certified Desk Pilot; multi engine rating.

On Long Island Firearms, they started running tracking software that Kasperky and Symantec treats like malware.

Not happy about this.
    Disperse ye not thine ammo. Gather ammo unto thyself. The SAFE Act cometh.

I hate to join this bashing but I am a member in 68forums and it's been a nightmare. Started with a password reset that locked out all members without telling members anything and no one was there for customer support to help. Got to the point another member states a different forum. Reason people started to leave was the snide remark from the new VS admin.

So, Phil, please don't screw this up. To your company we are just another forum gobbled up but to us, this is our way of staying in touch and keep our constitutional rights that are getting raped daily. This is how we try and keep our rights so please for the love of God don't jam us up.
    *** This space is currently in a healing phase; It was ravaged by Smurfette. I may never walk the same again. ***

Quote Originally Posted by VARMINT223 View Post
    In six months they'll lay off our moderators and outsource their jobs to a third world call center. The cigar bar will become the hookah cafe and Smurfette will be fitted for a burka. Oh the humanity.
    Haha! You're ****in killin me man!
    All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope....

~Winston Churchill~

Yep, swear filter is still functional....carry on. LOL
    All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope....

~Winston Churchill~

LMS

Quote Originally Posted by mikeCentola View Post
    All good sights have been hacked at least once in their lifetime. As long as you're diligent in password change anniversaries, etc, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    That's actually what they have done on other forums they've bought - force everyone to create new and more secure passwords. Can't really argue with that. And, I have not seen a ton of immediate change on the other forums other than more ads. But I do have to express concern about one company controlling so many forums and forums in the same interest area (in this case firearms). Just too easy to start exerting broad control over content. Now I know NYF owners could have done the same thing, as could owners of other forums. But they're all making independent decisions. The concentration of control is not good.
    Last edited by LMS; 08-18-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAMMO View Post
    On Long Island Firearms, they started running tracking software that Kasperky and Symantec treats like malware.
    Not happy about this.
    The trackers are not much different than the trackers that your browser and especially google already uses. It means no harm though I am not sure why your anti virus is being set off.

Quote Originally Posted by Buell056 View Post
    I hate to join this bashing but I am a member in 68forums and it's been a nightmare. Started with a password reset that locked out all members without telling members anything and no one was there for customer support to help. Got to the point another member states a different forum. Reason people started to leave was the snide remark from the new VS admin.
    So, Phil, please don't screw this up. To your company we are just another forum gobbled up but to us, this is our way of staying in touch and keep our constitutional rights that are getting raped daily. This is how we try and keep our rights so please for the love of God don't jam us up.
    The password reset was a very unfortunate circumstance of timing. We had to make the change network wide and with little notice to even us. We did our best to get users helped back onto the sites, I and the rest of the small team here spent evenings and weekends working to get through this. I dont have plans to screw anything up, the mods here and Mike run things very well and I don't plan to deviate from them or their direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    That's actually what they have done on other forums they've bought - force everyone to create new and more secure passwords. Can't really argue with that. And, I have not seen a ton of immediate change on the other forums other than more ads. But I do have to express concern about one company controlling so many forums and forums in the same interest area (in this case firearms). Just too easy to start exerting broad control over content. Now I know NYF owners could have done the same thing, as could owners of other forums. But they're all making independent decisions. The concentration of control is not good.
    We acquired a number of firearm sites that where all owned by one company this year. The difference is we offered a bit more transparency on who owns the site so it looks like we are trying to control things. We are much more hands off than you would think and I am happy to take your advice on what you feel would make the site better. IF you have ideas share them please, I will discuss them with the site mods/admins and see what would work best with their input as well.

-Philip
    Last edited by NYFadmin; 08-18-2016 at 10:47 PM.

General

Awwww .... well .... I guess as the saying goes, "All good things must come to an end.". I've seen the results of VS taking over other forums. Remember me always saying I only belonged to THIS forum?? That WAS true. Unfortunately where VS lurks ... I won't hang around. Sorry to those that care. To those that do not give a rat's ass, carry on. Chicken has left the building. Thank you Mike for keeping the forum going as long as you did. It was a truly great place. Take care all.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by VARMINT223 View Post

Must be parts of FUAC start up nys still straggling along NO More Bacon
    Professional Cat Trainer

Well this VS boards getting hacked seems a bit more than just a forum or two. I an a member of quite a few forum for gathering information for different projects and obsessions and just got a notification from VS that my info was also gotten.... on 8 different forums ! SO it seems to me that VS gets hacked, not the individual forums.
    I'm not too concerned about the trackers and whatnot, I run blocks on anything like that.

I hope this place doesn't go to ****, NYF is like a second home and the members like family.

Quote Originally Posted by NYFadmin View Post
    The trackers are not much different than the trackers that your browser and especially google already uses. It means no harm though I am not sure why your anti virus is being set off.

The password reset was a very unfortunate circumstance of timing. We had to make the change network wide and with little notice to even us. We did our best to get users helped back onto the sites, I and the rest of the small team here spent evenings and weekends working to get through this. I dont have plans to screw anything up, the mods here and Mike run things very well and I don't plan to deviate from them or their direction.

We acquired a number of firearm sites that where all owned by one company this year. The difference is we offered a bit more transparency on who owns the site so it looks like we are trying to control things. We are much more hands off than you would think and I am happy to take your advice on what you feel would make the site better. IF you have ideas share them please, I will discuss them with the site mods/admins and see what would work best with their input as well.

-Philip
    Actually, that is false. Whoever was over there asleepnat the wheel put a post up saying no one was around that weekend to work on it and said we'd have to wait until next week. They also had an attitude and made it seem like it was the forum members fault for being locked out when they kept referring to "reset emails" when in fact no one on the forum received them becuase they were never sent out. This is what I'm talking about. When it happened, the person on didn't want to accept responsibility and apparently neither does anyone else at VS.
    *** This space is currently in a healing phase; It was ravaged by Smurfette. I may never walk the same again. ***

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast