Rochester appleseed event!!!! - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can i shoot one of the courses with my flintlock?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson two year NRA member
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpowdershooter30 View Post
    I can i shoot one of the courses with my flintlock?
    I have never been at a shoot ware someone had a flintlock, But it be cool for other shooters to see just what the American Colonists and the British Regulars were shooting at that time!!

Just make sure you clean the oil out of the breech before loading her up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

So the ORGC is having a 2 day event in September? Too bad people can't set up tents right at the club. Hughes campground also used to have great fishing but this was 25 years ago. Do the adults and kids get instructed together? Is 12 years old the minimum age?

Looks like a great event good job bear and ORGC.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    John Wayne in "Shootest"

The trap field at ORGC might be a little too rough to set tents up on....

You'll be there with one of your M1's, right Jim?

Hum mm........
    Camp out at OGRC ????? Interesting.....
    Might be an idea to bring up at Thursdays Board Meeting ?

Quote Originally Posted by thughes View Post
    The trap field at ORGC might be a little too rough to set tents up on....

You'll be there with one of your M1's, right Jim?
    I haven't seen the trap field used the few times I have been there, lol. Mobile campers could park right in lot I would think.

I hope to but I have to wait and see. I would like to bring my grandsons.
    What guns are you taking?
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    John Wayne in "Shootest"

Quote Originally Posted by dirty824 View Post
    Hum mm........
    Camp out at OGRC ????? Interesting.....
    Might be an idea to bring up at Thursdays Board Meeting ?
    This Thursday I will be at a football coaches 4 day drink fest ,opps I mean clinic in Wilkes Barre, pa. Anyone know of any good ammo spots around there?
    John Wayne in "Shootest"

Quote Originally Posted by pappasue View Post
    I hope to but I have to wait and see. I would like to bring my grandsons.
    What guns are you taking?
    I just put a set of Techsites on my marlin 795. I plan on shooting the .22 for the first day but if there is an option to stretch out on the 200 yard range for day 2 I would consider the M1, K31, K1911, SKS, or perhaps the PU sniper. (throwing .30 caliber centerfire rounds at targets 25 yards away just seems a bit wasteful to me)

So the ORGC is having a 2 day event in September? Too bad people can't set up tents right at the club. Hughes campground also used to have great fishing but this was 25 years ago. Do the adults and kids get instructed together? Is 12 years old the minimum age?

Looks like a great event good job bear and ORGC.
    Yes all ages get instruction together, I have seen many families come back shoot after shoot and bring other family members along! As for 12 years and older that is a NYS law not Appleseed and they follow the law of each State.

Quote Originally Posted by nortatoga View Post
    Yes all ages get instruction together, I have seen many families come back shoot after shoot and bring other family members along! As for 12 years and older that is a NYS law not Appleseed and they follow the law of each State.
    So my one GS will be 12 the other 10 ,is there a place for spectators? They do most things together and I know the younger one would like to watch.
    John Wayne in "Shootest"

Quote Originally Posted by nortatoga View Post
    I have never been at a shoot ware someone had a flintlock, But it be cool for other shooters to see just what the American Colonists and the British Regulars were shooting at that time!!
    Well ill be in my uniform with my flintlock and cannon for the day. Hopefully the kids all like it.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

So my one GS will be 12 the other 10 ,is there a place for spectators? They do most things together and I know the younger one would like to watch.
    I don't know the Club that is hosting this shoot. But a friend of mine brought his grandson and just watched at are Club!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpowdershooter30 View Post
    Well ill be in my uniform with my flintlock and cannon for the day. Hopefully the kids all like it.
    I'm sure everyone will that is just too COOL!!!!

Private

Its great to read so much enthusiasm for an event that is still 6 months away! Im sure you will learn a lot of marksmanship skills as well as the history of April 19th, 1775.

Nortatoga (Jamie) has done a great job to answer your questions. I must remind all that Project Appleseed has to follow the state law that a child must be 12 years or older to shoot a firearm. If younger than 12, they can still participate using an air rifle shooting at 10 meters.

For tube magazine fed .22LR rifles, another trick to use besides a hollow arrow shaft, is a McDonalds soda straw! They are wide diameter so the rounds will not hang up. Just crimp one end with a staple and you have a reloading tube! And the price is really cheap for these straws! Prepare at least four, and maybe use an old plastic toothbrush holder to keep your straws upright so not to spill.

Even with the trick of a hollow arrow or a straw, reloading your rifle will be slow. As always you have to maintain proper muzzle discipline, withdraw the charging tube, dump your rounds in, and then replace the tube. In timed targets, you need to reload quickly and safely to not lose precious time. The same with a bolt action. Let the Shoot Boss know if you will be using either type of rifle.

Remember the round count could be 400+. Shooting a center fire rifle all weekend could be expensive! Suggestion to start with a .22 on Saturday and if you are progressing well, maybe switch to your center fire rifle on Sunday afternoon.

Enjoy your Project Appleseed experience and spread the word to your family, your friends, and co-workers! Hopefully I will see you there!

Gary

Thanks gary for the insite on the event. I have guns with detachable mags but dont have the cash to run out and pick up 4 mags for only a weekend event. I plan on shooting my flintlock reguardless but it would be cool to use in a event. If that thats fine and im really pumped about this. I also contacted a gentleman on this program to see what i can to help out. How can i do that

Private

blackpowdershooter30,

I can appreciate what you said about the mags just for a weekend event. When I was an attendee as you will be, I said the same thing. Many others said the same. Hopefully you will really like the rifle marksmanship skills we teach. Also hopefully you will really like the history we present. Then the Appleseed "bug" will hit you - you will want to attend another, then another, then more!

It takes an average of 2.5 Appleseed events to shoot the Rifleman's score (at least a 210 out of a possible 250) and earn your Rifleman's patch. The extra events to hone your skills along with time spent at your home range practicing what we teach. (yes, homework! lol)

If you want to become an Instructor In Training (IIT - an Orange Hat) and progress upwards, you must shoot the Rifleman's score at two different events before being asked to become an IIT. There are 5 levels of IIT - IIT0 through IIT4. The next step is to become a full instructor (RH - Red Hat). Or you could be asked to be a Blue Hat - not quite an Orange Hat. The Shoot Boss can explain more in detail if you are interested.

For planning to use your flintlock to shoot this event, I suggest to email the Appleseed NYS State Coordinator to ask him ([email protected]). The first target we shoot on Saturday morning is 13 shots (not timed). Shooting a flintlock for this target would slow the program down and there is a lot of instruction and practicing to cover.

You can also email the NYS State Coordinator to ask what you can do to help out. Appleseed can always use local boots to help promote and coordinate local ranges.

Its said that Appleseed instruction is like drinking water from a firehose. Each event you attend, you will pick up something you forgot or missed before. Then you will have that "ah-hah" moment when it all clicks together!

Enjoy!

Gary
    Last edited by LittleMo; 03-06-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    NRA Life Member; NYSRPA member; NRA Range Safety Officer; NRA Basic Rifle Instructor; Watervliet Fish & Game Protective Assoc. member & co-chair rifle & pistol range committee; Iroquois Rod & Gun Club member; SCOPE-NY member; Project Appleseed Rifle Instructor; Schenectady County Conservation Council - President; New York State Conservation Council (NYSCC) Member & Firearms Committee Chairperson & Region 4 Delegate

I would like to clear up so confusion, I have waived the Range fee not the event fee, That donation goes to Appleseed not ORGC.
    Pricing info. Appleseed - Pricing Schedule Thank you to all.
    There can be No Free speech, No Freedom from Oppression, No Freedom to Worship your God, No Freedom to speak your mind, No Freedom from Fear, No Freedom for your children or theirs for anyone anywhere Without the 2ndAmendment and The Freedom to Fight for it. CHARLTON HESTON

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12