AR15 shockwave?
Close

Thread: AR15 shockwave?

Private

Default AR15 shockwave?

Getting a lot of different answers from people so i figured i'd ask on here, does anyone know the laws coming down from the ATF for the "AR15 Shockwave" and the legality of them in new york? From what i've heard it's the loop hole to buying or building an "SBR" and as long as it has a stabilizing blade on it instead of a rifle stock and a 90° foregrip, you can have your removable magazine with a pistol grip as well as a short barrel due to the idea of it being a "shockwave" and being considered an "other" by the ATF. I was also told that you can have the shorter barrel on the firearm as long as the overall length is at least 26 inches (buffer tube to end of barrel without muzzle device)

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

My take is if it looks like an assault riffle you will get in trouble with it if seen by police in NYS. Good luck explaining what you tried here to a beat cop or DA. I don’t think the other would stand scrutiny since it’s features that are banned. I get the law says rifle, pistol, shotgun and other technically doesn’t fit into this category. If seen with one it will still ruin your day and cost you a boatload of money to fight it in court. You will be charged IMO.

My take is it’s not worth the hassle IMO.
    here’s an article detailing it fairly well.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...10/18/aow/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...10/18/aow/amp/

Corporal

There are numerous Gun shops in NY selling them. There are out of state manufacturer s allowed to ship to FFLs in NY for resale. It’s registered as an Other Weapon. It is not an assault rifle. It comes down to the BATF classification and the corresponding NY safe act classifications which do not cover “other weapons”. As of right now you are good to go if you want to purchase one. They will have to amend the safe act before they can call it illegal. The most important thing is that the NYSP firearms lab is aware of these and has not taken any action against gun shops, nor have they restricted them from being brought into NY. If buying one make sure it has a full length barrel and not a LEO barrel. I’d also get the BATF letter for that manufacturers model and keep it with the firearm.
    Last edited by multical; 07-22-2020 at 07:22 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by multical View Post
    There are numerous Gun shops in NY selling them. There are out of state manufacturer s allowed to ship to FFLs in NY for resale. It’s registered as an Other Weapon. It is not an assault rifle. It comes down to the BATF classification and the corresponding NY safe act classifications which do not cover “other weapons”. As of right now you are good to go if you want to purchase one. They will have to amend the safe act before they can call it illegal. The most important thing is that the NYSP firearms lab is aware of these and has not taken any action against gun shops, nor have they restricted them from being brought into NY. If buying one make sure it has a full length barrel and not a LEO barrel. I’d also get the BATF letter for that manufacturers model and keep it with the firearm.
    What is a LEO barrel? Lmao

For it to be a other and not a AOW it needs to be longer than 26” long.

Standard receiver extension and a 12.5” barrel is about 26.5” to threads

Vltor A5 and a 11.5” is about 26.25”

Measure yourself don’t take my word for it everything has a tolerance. Just based off what I’ve seen!

Corporal

You are correct about the length. But only with a standard receiver extension. if you look at the premanufactured shorter barreled others being shipped into NY you will notice that there are restrictions to LEO only. I spotted this on two different manufacturers websites. This is because the barrels are less than 16. It gets a bit confusing because by definition and dimension you are correct. My thought is I have more than one AR. Possessing a compliant AR and an other, If I have an Other upper less than 16 that can be placed on the “wrong” lower It is conspicuous possession. You might be ok unless they have a reason to look in your house but I wouldn’t take them both to the range together.
    Last edited by multical; 08-07-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Private

Yes, I agree, it's a risky business to take them together

Quote Originally Posted by multical View Post
    You are correct about the length. But only with a standard receiver extension. if you look at the premanufactured shorter barreled others being shipped into NY you will notice that there are restrictions to LEO only. I spotted this on two different manufacturers websites. This is because the barrels are less than 16. It gets a bit confusing because by definition and dimension you are correct. My thought is I have more than one AR. Possessing a compliant AR and an other, If I have an Other upper less than 16 that can be placed on the “wrong” lower It is conspicuous possession. You might be ok unless they have a reason to look in your house but I wouldn’t take them both to the range together.
    I don't know what manufacturer or company you're buying from but I've never heard of them not shipping a barrel based on length. You can buy what ever you want. They don't know if it's a pistol, SBR, or other. Ultimately it's up to the purchaser to be complaint. This isn't serving underage in a bar situation the responsibility falls to the person who had it in their possession. That being said why won't companies ship 30 rounds magazines?

To OP it's a pistol brace or stabilizer, with a 90 degree vertical grip over 26" in length.

Not a pistol- vert grip
    Not a rifle- brace
    Not AOW - over 26" NFA
    Not a "firearm"(NYS) - over 26"
    Cant buy a rifle and make into a other cant buy a pistol and make it a other. Can not redesign a firearm
    Makes it a "Firearm" no definition so it's a "other" GCA ATF

NYS does NOT define a pistol or rifle. Falls to NFA and GCA definition.
    NYS does define a ASSAULT PISTOL OR RIFLE ASSAULT SHOTGUN. NOT ASSAULT WEAPON THERE IS NOT COVERALL DEFINITION. So if it's not a rifle or pistol it can't be a "assault weapon". If they will legally sell a Tac-14 which is a semi automatic short barreled shotgun that's defined as a other. There should be no reason a AR platform shouldn't fall into the same category. There is no so called "gray area" or "fuzzy line" or "technicality". It's either legal or illegal period.