Anyone ever make their own muzzleloader?? any pictures??
Close

Private

Red face Anyone ever make their own muzzleloader?? any pictures??

Just interested in any pictures of homemade ML. Looking to build my own and looking for ideas. NOT to steal the idea but little hints of what works and doesn't. Lets SEE EM!!! Forgot.... NOT KITS, anyone one can do that. I'm talking get a barrel and build the rest.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Major

I used to buy older muzzleloaders in poor condition and rework them. Sorry pictures are unavailable. Track of the Wolf and other sites will help you.

Plenty of pictures of muzzleloaders that I have built right here. No kits.
    Robin

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Where Robin? I'd love to see em!!

Well, if you stay in this subject and look for titles that were started by me, Robin, There are usually pictures of some of the guns I have made.
    Robin

Robin is the guy to talk to about this subject he is one of the best craftsman I've ever seen in this field. Now my question to you sir is flintlock of cap? I'd say if you are going to build a rifle flintlock is the only way to go.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson two year NRA member
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

Private

For myself it would probably a 209 primer style gun. Robin....um.... Im lost for words.... They don't have a drooling emoji!! Now here is my question to you Robin.... Are those kits?? Do you make the barrels, the lock mechanism, and all the other parts?? If you make all those..... May I have the pleasure of introducing you to your new stalker!

No kit's. The wood comes from local trees, mostly maple, some cherry and black walnut. I don't have the assets available to manufacture barrels, nor quarry the ore and smelt it down to iron, but I can and have done a re-bore, re-rifle on a few the old fashioned way, with excellent results. I have made locks from parts, but anymore I mostly buy fully assembled locks, even so they requite a few days work to fine tune them, clean them up, that would not include time for any engraving that might be required for any particular gun. Same with the barrels, as received they require hand filing to remove manufacturing marks, dovetails must be filed for the barrel lugs, and sights, also sometimes the breech plug isn't installed, or is installed improperly and must be re-fitted, all of which can add up to quite a bit of time.
    I make as much of the rest of it as I can, nose caps, ramrod pipes, side plates, inlays, patchboxes and their release mechanism's, triggers. Sometimes I fabricate butt plates and trigger guards, but mostly I buy castings for that purpose, that again require shaping, a lot of filing, and finish work before they can be used.
    So you see, no need to stalk me.
    Robin

Private

So you see, no need to stalk me.
    Robin[/QUOTE]

LOL^^^^ That is a ton of work and it is SUPER impressive to see the "traditional" come back to life. Do you have a particular source that you get the barrels from? Not trying to be cheap (cheap ends in injury) but even old shotgun barrels around my area are a bit more then what im willing to pay just to hack it up. I wouldn't mind spending about $30 on one but here you're talking $60 and up. Even tried Ebay and didn't find much.

Private

Wow.... do Iook silly. Just typed in "gun barrel" in Ebay and BAM there was barrel blanks. Seem to be mostly pistol BUT thats ok

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish motorman. There are many suppliers of M/L barrels but nothing in the 30-60 dollar range that I know of.
    Muzzle loading rifle barrels, by Rice Barrel Company - Track of the Wolf
    Rice Barrels, Straight and Profiled
    Product Listing Barrels
    Buckeye Barrels - The Best is Worth Waiting For!
    There's just a few, good luck.
    Robin

I'd think 300 starting for a barrel of a long gun
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson two year NRA member
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

Might I suggest Track of the wolf? They have lots of kits, but even if you dont want to do a kit they have every part you need in multiple states of completion if you want to build your own.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Private

Thank you guys for all the ideas. For right now due to money issues im gonna stick with the .22 barrel and make the pistol I have started. By the looks of things I will not be making any long guns due to the prices of the barrel. That's something I don't want to go cheap on due to pressures. Unless I find a shotgun barrel. The Pistol barrels on Ebay are affordable so the next gun I build will probably be another pistol. Anyone make any muzzle loading pistols?? Thanks again guys.

Just finished this one. .58 smoothbore, Bucks county. DSCN0143.jpg DSCN0142.jpg
    Crappy photo's are my forte.
    Robin

Private

So Robin that is a legal gun in NYS? Smooth bore pistol? Im assuming because its a BP? Looks like it would be a LOT of fun to shoot. Beautiful! Needed to edit because I have to ask..... What do you get for wood for the stock? Is it a block of wood of chop a tree down and cut from that? I know it may be a dumb question but I need to ask.
    Last edited by motorman3000; 10-17-2015 at 04:32 PM.

It is my understanding that you can legally own a muzzle loading pistol if you do 'not' have any of the elements required to make it fire on your premises. If you want to shoot it, you have to have it on your permit. Yeah, its all pretty stupid.
    The stock wood comes from a tree I had milled to my spec's. I don't normally sell it and would probably give such a piece away as left over from a rifle stock.
    Robin

Private

I understand the ruling also but my question is, since it is smooth bore and a pistol, is that legal? Not that I care but for my interest I was wondering that. I know as ATF ruling that any pistol needs to have rifling but it says nothing about BP. I would build one if I could get a DEFINITIVE answer yes or no about black powder guns. Since they are not considered a "firearm". Sorry for all the questions, and I know no one can give legal advise but the knowledge can be given....right? Thank you for all the time you have spent answering the questions and over time I hope to be showing off my first homemade item.

This dude makes it look easy

I have seen and shot Robin's art work. Probably the most incredible day I have spent in man cave. I hate that we couldnt make a deal, but I'm still interested in having him build me a fouler I can take out to the trap range. Or Ketland replicas that I can shoot and not worry about ruining family heirlooms.

If you want to talk about making your own flintlock, I cant think of a better resource than Robin. If he doesnt have the answer, he personally knows the people who wrote the book.

Thank you Tim!! that was a good day indeed!
    Robin

Private

Robin.......Absolutely beautiful....I wish I had the skill.
    Last edited by TomD; 11-01-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: forgot word

That's a great video Toecutter. Wallace Gusler is no stranger to those of us that love these arms of yesteryear and making the same. The mans knowledge and skills are well documented and admired.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    That's a great video Toecutter. Wallace Gusler is no stranger to those of us that love these arms of yesteryear and making the same. The mans knowledge and skills are well documented and admired.
    Such skill and he looked pretty young in that video