36 Caliber Revolver Question,
Close

Default 36 Caliber Revolver Question,

While visiting back there in New York I bought a Navy Arms Co. 36 caliber revolver, I know it uses the .375 round balls, but what size of cap should I use on it Number 10 or Number 11? I have nNumber 11 caps for my Ruger Old Army 44 caliber revolvers, my old single shot 45 caliber pistol and my Traditions 36/50 caliber rifle.The Traditions came with two barrels a 36 Caliber and a 50 Caliber.

I'll be going to a gun store Monday morning and I'll pick up a box of round balls and Number 10 Caps if I need them.

It should be a fun little revolver to shoot. I got the gun, a leather holster, a ball & conical bullet mold and six extra nipples for $250 & sales tax. It hasa four digit serial number 32XX.
    Last edited by HighlandLofts; 12-22-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Major

#11 caps

Thank You XP
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Pictures?

Picture of the 36 Caliber revolver.

Attachment 44937

Picked up the caps Monday, Just need a dry day to go shooting. It should be fun shooting like my 44 caliber Ruger Old Army.

ARA

Mine uses #10. Nipples are available in both, but most bp revolvers come with #10.

I have #11s for my Ruger Old Army, Old Single shot 45 caliber cap lock and an older Traditions 36/50 caliber rifle. I bought this set up years ago from a mail order place, Sportsman Guide or one of them places. It's neat to switch barrels from 36 caliber to 50 caliber.

I bought two tins of #10 caps a few days ago. I have two 100 count boxes of round balls. I need to pick up other black powder molds and the smelting pot so I can make my own balls.

ARA

I mold my own also. I have also made my own bp. It's really cool to go hunting with only one shot, a ball you molded, and bp you made.

Quote Originally Posted by ARA View Post
    I mold my own also. I have also made my own bp. It's really cool to go hunting with only one shot, a ball you molded, and bp you made.
    ARA
    How hard is it to make your own Black Powder? After you make it how do you get it to the different sizes. FFG, FFFG? It wouold be an interesting thing to do.

Next time I see the local plumber I'm going to see if he has some lead to sell. If he doesn't I'll get ahold of other plumbrs in the area.

ARA

It's really easy to make a basic powder. Only takes a couple hours really. Sizing, and corning is where you can make it as simple or complicated as you want. I stole one of my wife's kitchen sieves to size it. Push the paste through, dry and call it done. It burns filthy compared to store bought powders. The most important part is the charcoal.

I can't post a link because my right mouse button is broken... But google musketeer.ch there is some good reading on the sight.

I'll check it out. A friend I go blackpowder shooting with will be in terested as well, thank you for the info.

Major

Good luck with your purchase.