Anyone here paper patch bullets?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Twogunwilly
  • 1 Post By repete

Thread: Anyone here paper patch bullets?

Major

Default Anyone here paper patch bullets?

Anyone here paper patch your bullets? It sounds like a nice alternative to having a mold made for a slightly larger bore.
    Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I've done it with round balls and they shot great, 2 shots just above the bulls eye @ 100 yards, iron sights. That's all I got.
    groovy mike likes this.
    Safety first, never last
    Have a future, not a past.

Major

I've got a 50-70 I can keep on an eight inch pie plate at 100 yards, but I'd like to tighten the groups. I think paper patching might be the next thing to try.
    Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Sergeant

Never tried PPing but I do powder coat and was really shocked at how much you can build up a bullet. That might be something for you to think about.
    I just mic'd a cast lead 240gr as dropped at .431 with one moderately coat of zombie green it mic'd at .4335 I know it can go on heavier too.
    I spray mine but lots of guys are having good luck shaking/swirling. for more info check out castboolits.com
    groovy mike likes this.

Sergeant

Sure do ,1inch 45and 50 GM 1-28 twist barrels on my 54 TC side locks and a 45cal H+A under hammer . I am shooting to 400 yds w /PP with my GM barrels and 120 yds with the under hammer . l PP a S+W 501 pistol bullet / mini/maxi Lyman Great Plains and Lee reals / 405gr and a lot of pistol bullets .Aside from BP I PP my cast 45/70-35rem-30-30 -308 (you get the picture) I can shoot PP to 1600 fps with lead BHN of 10.5 accurately and 45/70 will do 3-4 in @200yd with my Marlin lever gun(microgroove) .I like to shoot slow twist RPBs in my Lyman rock locks and TC sidelocks but long range and target I like paper patch ,It takes some added time but I'm retired ��