.45 cal a thing of the past?? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Major

a .40 caliber or even a .358 bullet is OK for deer

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    That's not interesting it's ... Not one point the author brings up is relevant at all nor are many based on facts. I don't use the Triple Seven stuff as I have too many friends that tried it and had many misfires if not using a hot primer. (Yes it is available for .45cal BTW) Another thing is .. I'm not hunting Elk with it in an area that says .50cal or larger. LOL The next thing is, mine is a Black Diamond XR which is a longer barrel and although the author claims only 90gr charges can be used in a .45cal, I'll gladly show him that mine does except 150gr charge as it's also a magnum. So .... I'll go look at Gander's site you posted. I can't believe the misinformation in that article/blog ... whatever it was. Hahahahaha (did you also notice that he stated that a .50 could only handle 120gr of pellets/powder?) That must have been an OLD article or something. I'm not saying I may not get a .50cal in the near future to have more than one caliber available to me, BUT I'm not ready to give up on a .45cal yet. I really like it much more than the .50's I've shot. Mine is lighter then my buddies .50cal as well. Both synthetic stocked, mine is SS his is blued, and mine has a longer barrel. I don't get where that guy was coming from. Maybe he was just pizzed off that he bought a .50cal and then got smoked by a .45cal at the range at say 200yds. LMAO
    150gr of pellets is not the same as 150gn of loose powder.
    i remember reading the manual for a friends 50cal "magnum" and it said 150 of pellets, 100 of loose ...max.
    I do not believe that your gun can shoot over 100gn of powder, and I am quite sure it can not shoot 150gn of powder....pellets yes ( but they don't all burn, most gets shot out the barrel).

General

Quote Originally Posted by Revelyell View Post
    150gr of pellets is not the same as 150gn of loose powder.
    i remember reading the manual for a friends 50cal "magnum" and it said 150 of pellets, 100 of loose ...max.
    I do not believe that your gun can shoot over 100gn of powder, and I am quite sure it can not shoot 150gn of powder....pellets yes ( but they don't all burn, most gets shot out the barrel).
    I need 10 pellets to kill a deer!! That should do it. LOL Since I posted this thread, (almost 2 years ago) I have seen the .45 make a come back in a way. More and more places are selling things for the .45cal. I'll have to look, but I'm sure you're probably right. Although I did see a guy load 150gr of loose BP in his Black Diamond. The BOOOOMMMMM it made suggested there was alittle more umph than normal behind that charge. After the smoke cleared, he not only missed the target, but dropped the gun, picked it up, put it away, packed the rest of his crap and he whimpered, holding his right shoulder, "I'm done for the day." The gun stayed in tact though. I'll refrain from trying it myself .... for now. I've also learned a great deal about ML'ing over the past couple of years and found that not one inline will burn more than 130gr of black powder or pellets when fired. So as of now, no more than 100gr of either is needed unless you're shooting further than 150yds. That will never happen where I hunt.
    Last edited by Chicken Shoot; 12-26-2013 at 02:22 AM.
    RIP NYF

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

The .45 is plenty fine for deer, weather its round ball or saboted bullet. I don't know the bullet diameter for the .45 in sabot, but the problem doesn't really lie in the power of the 'properly' loaded bullet or ball, its has more to do with wind. The lighter projectiles are affected by the wind way more than the larger diameter's, even just a .50 cal.. Round ball probably more so, but the smaller diameter would be as well.
    Robin

I bought an old 45 caliber single-shot pistol this past summer and haven't got it out shooting yet, next week when I'm feeling better I need to take it with uswhen we go shooting. One of my shooting partners has an old 50 caliber single-shot pistol and an old army revolver that we take along occasionally that are fun to shoot.
    I'd like to get a nice Remington or Ruger stainless Old Army for target shooting.

Both 45 caliber. Dan's shooting a 45 BP revolver. I paid $95 for every thing in the other picture, Pistol, Black Powder, Cleaner, Bag of Balls, Primers, Powder Horn, Brass Powder Measerer.
    Blackpowder 45 caliber.jpgDan black power 2.jpg
    Last edited by HighlandLofts; 12-26-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added Pics.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    I need 10 pellets to kill a deer!! That should do it. LOL Since I posted this thread, (almost 2 years ago) I have seen the .45 make a come back in a way. More and more places are selling things for the .45cal. I'll have to look, but I'm sure you're probably right. Although I did see a guy load 150gr of loose BP in his Black Diamond. The BOOOOMMMMM it made suggested there was alittle more umph than normal behind that charge. After the smoke cleared, he not only missed the target, but dropped the gun, picked it up, put it away, packed the rest of his crap and he whimpered, holding his right shoulder, "I'm done for the day." The gun stayed in tact though. I'll refrain from trying it myself .... for now. I've also learned a great deal about ML'ing over the past couple of years and found that not one inline will burn more than 130gr of black powder or pellets when fired. So as of now, no more than 100gr of either is needed unless you're shooting further than 150yds. That will never happen where I hunt.
    Yeah, 150gn of loose is not a very good idea. I am glad you did not try it.
    a lot of people make that mistake, even though it specifically states not to in the manual...I am guessing many people do not read that crap.
    the whole "magnum" thing is just a marketing ploy.
    for what it's worth, I only use 90gn of triple7 in my NEF .50cal. It only has a 22" barrel, so that's all it needs.

Private

Nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12