.45 cal a thing of the past??
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    General

Default .45 cal a thing of the past??

I have TC Black Diamond XR in .45cal. I've noticed this past season that finding the .45cal bullets and such was alittle more difficult. Is the .45cal becoming a thing of the past? Ipreferred the .45cal as it's alittle flatter and faster than the .50cal. Especially with 150gr of powder behind it .... the range was nice to have. Would I be smart in selling the .45 and buying a .50? Is the .45 really a thing of the past??

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Sounds like what I'm running into with finding bullets for my .54's.

General

Quote Originally Posted by R1150R View Post
    Sounds like what I'm running into with finding bullets for my .54's.
    Do you just order what you need online? I can't find .45cal at Dick's or Walmart and the pyrodex 45/50 I can't find either. I love this gun and although I've never taken a deer with it since I just got it after the season this past year, I still find it hard to believe that more people wouldn't be more interested in the faster, flatter flight of the .45cal. I would think that some would rather have the .54cal as well since it has more knock down ability from a heavier bullet. It's too bad really. I can see the sense in going in between the two, but not having them as options seems ridiculous.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Fortunately, back when they were still available on fleabay, I bought a bunch from various sellers.
    I would try to buy all they had, combine shipping, and take advantage of Priority Mail Flat Rate which was new at the time.
    Like you, I've noticed that Dick's, Gander, etc. have mostly .50 bullets.
    I guess they are driven by what sells the best.
    For a wider selection try Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, or one of the other internet muzzle loader suppliers.
    On Gunbroker dot com under Muzzle Loading supplies there is a guy who casts bullets and is pretty reasonable too. You could check him out.
    I haven't bought any powder in a long time so I can't answer that. If I were you, I think I'd start with local gun shops in your area. They would probably be able to point you in the right direction.
    Down this way there's a guy who does business as "Blackpowder Bill". Website: http://www.blackpowderbill.com/
    He was very helpful to me last summer when I had a stuck ball.
    I think the next time I need some M/L stuff I'm going to pay him a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    Do you just order what you need online? I can't find .45cal at Dick's or Walmart and the pyrodex 45/50 I can't find either. I love this gun and although I've never taken a deer with it since I just got it after the season this past year, I still find it hard to believe that more people wouldn't be more interested in the faster, flatter flight of the .45cal. I would think that some would rather have the .54cal as well since it has more knock down ability from a heavier bullet. It's too bad really. I can see the sense in going in between the two, but not having them as options seems ridiculous.

Chicken -

Interesting perspective here...

Muzzleloading Caliber Hype: .45 versus .50

Have you tried Cabela's? They have $2 shipping on orders over $49 through March 29th.

Cabela's: Search Results

General

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner57 View Post
    Chicken -

Interesting perspective here...

Muzzleloading Caliber Hype: .45 versus .50
    That's not interesting it's ... Not one point the author brings up is relevant at all nor are many based on facts. I don't use the Triple Seven stuff as I have too many friends that tried it and had many misfires if not using a hot primer. (Yes it is available for .45cal BTW) Another thing is .. I'm not hunting Elk with it in an area that says .50cal or larger. LOL The next thing is, mine is a Black Diamond XR which is a longer barrel and although the author claims only 90gr charges can be used in a .45cal, I'll gladly show him that mine does except 150gr charge as it's also a magnum. So .... I'll go look at Gander's site you posted. I can't believe the misinformation in that article/blog ... whatever it was. Hahahahaha (did you also notice that he stated that a .50 could only handle 120gr of pellets/powder?) That must have been an OLD article or something. I'm not saying I may not get a .50cal in the near future to have more than one caliber available to me, BUT I'm not ready to give up on a .45cal yet. I really like it much more than the .50's I've shot. Mine is lighter then my buddies .50cal as well. Both synthetic stocked, mine is SS his is blued, and mine has a longer barrel. I don't get where that guy was coming from. Maybe he was just pizzed off that he bought a .50cal and then got smoked by a .45cal at the range at say 200yds. LMAO
    Last edited by Chicken Shoot; 03-13-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Corporal

Glad to see it is not only me having a difficult time finding 45 caliber supplies. I recently got a 45 caliber rifle in trade and was looking to get into black powder. Does anyone know if casting your own would be an option? Thanks

General

Quote Originally Posted by pdsarge View Post
    Glad to see it is not only me having a difficult time finding 45 caliber supplies. I recently got a 45 caliber rifle in trade and was looking to get into black powder. Does anyone know if casting your own would be an option? Thanks

I believe it is an option. I have just decided to order what I need before the season. I prefer the Hornady sabots and pyrodex pellets so that'll get ordered and everything else I need, like primers, are easy to find. how many times ya gonna shoot it I asked myself ....... the answer ... not as often as I'd like to, and certainly not enough to go through a couple packs of sabots and a box of primers and pellets. I'm keeping my .45cal and that's that. LOL

Major

pardon me for ignorance but would the lack of available 45 have anything to do with the 50 cal or bigger rule for muzzle loaders and black powder in ny as far as hunting goes?

ps k&k hobbies had some 45 cal slugs with a sabot around them last time i was there (they retail as .45)

From NYS DEC website (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html):
    "The legal firearm for this season (deer & bear) is a muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season. If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License."

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskin View Post
    pardon me for ignorance but would the lack of available 45 have anything to do with the 50 cal or bigger rule for muzzle loaders and black powder in ny as far as hunting goes?

ps k&k hobbies had some 45 cal slugs with a sabot around them last time i was there (they retail as .45)

General

There's no question as to whether it's a legal round as it is. It meets the requirement BUT in some states it's not allowed for Elk and even deer. In NY I know it's legal, but my question was based more on the fact that companies that produce the .45cal's are not making them or offering them like they use to which is of course leading to the lack of availability of bullets and such for the .45's. That's why I had asked if the .45cal is a thing of the past. It's a shame really as it does have it's advantages such as flatter trajectory and longer distance. .45cal is plenty big enough to drop a deer or a bear in it's tracks ... I'm not sure about elk, but considering people take them, and moose for that matter, with a bow, is there any real reason for other states to enforce a .50cal minimum?? I haven't done a ton a research on this issue, but are there really that many states that require the .50cal to hunt?? Is this what forced manufacturers to only offer one .45cal model in their line ups?? Or none at all??

I would just get a .50 cal

They are plenty accurate and shoot far enough
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

General

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKrub91 View Post
    I would just get a .50 cal

They are plenty accurate and shoot far enough
    I completely agree with ya. I'll probably pick up a .50cal, but I've heard that the state may prohibit the bolt action and break barrel styles as some have been pushing for muzzleloading to be more traditional. I don't know the validity of this, but if I'm going to get a .50, I'd like an Omega. Really nice gun. I suppose I could get a used inline if I have too.

Major

there is a nice tc up for sale for 150 right now on this board

ive given up black powder and muzzle-loader for crossbow or id take it

General

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskin View Post
    there is a nice tc up for sale for 150 right now on this board

ive given up black powder and muzzle-loader for crossbow or id take it
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll go hunt it down and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    I completely agree with ya. I'll probably pick up a .50cal, but I've heard that the state may prohibit the bolt action and break barrel styles as some have been pushing for muzzleloading to be more traditional. I don't know the validity of this, but if I'm going to get a .50, I'd like an Omega. Really nice gun. I suppose I could get a used inline if I have too.
    I dont see that happening.. the only way they could make it more traditional is to not allow inline muzzle loaders and thats not gonna happen because they would lose money
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

General

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKrub91 View Post
    I dont see that happening.. the only way they could make it more traditional is to not allow inline muzzle loaders and thats not gonna happen because they would lose money

Good point on the sales tax/ hunting license $$ collection. I just don't want to buy a gun and then have it be useless.

You guys should look into getting .45 caliber bullet molds. LEE, LYMAN, RCBS, and SAECO offer several bullet designs.

Here is a hyperlink to an article on casting the Lee R.E.A.L. bullets for a muzzle loading rifle. You will see how easy it is to do. Casting REAL Bullets

R.E.A.L

Rifling Engraved At Loading (REAL)
    The driving bands are large enough to adequately engage the rifling when pushed into the muzzle, and thin enough to withstand maximum charges without stripping or gas cutting. Black Powder REAL Bullet & Combo Molds - Lee Precision

Major

I have a T/C Encore & a T/C Contender both are 45 cal. rifles. I stock .45 cal. stuff in my shop and sell quite a lot of it because not many other places have it in my area.

I was always under the impression that a .45 cal mz was like the 20ga shotgun. always underestimated but gets it done.
    "Leave the gun Take the cannoli"

Captain

The .45 shortage is most likely just a popularity thing, my LGS tries hard to keep .45 stuff like Triple 7 (which works fine according to all who use it), as well as XTP and PB stuff because we have a lot of .45 hunters. But, since Hornady, one of the big manufacturers of saboted bullets for ML's is having trouble meeting orders on .50, I would scarf up any ballistic tip or HP rounds in your favorite calibers I could find. We were just told that the .452 that the guys like in the Savage Smokeless are out at the biggest distributors East of the river, and may not be in through the season. ML's are subject to the same crap as the modern guns any more. Of course, you could cast your own, or work with cast handgun stuff, there are those that have good luck with them.
    It is always prudent to keep in mind the fact that an old lion is still, indeed, a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by R1150R View Post
    From NYS DEC website (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html):
    "The legal firearm for this season (deer & bear) is a muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season. If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License."
    It says the bore has to be .44 or larger. It says nothing about the size of the projectile, so would a .40 projectile in a sabot be OK out of a .45 bore?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
    Ronald Regan, July 1975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast