cva wolf feedback?
Close

Private

Default cva wolf feedback?

I bought a wolf by cva today on a whim but now figure i should get some feedback before shooting it. It feels good and the speed breach plug seems like a really nice option also if anyone has this model what should i shoot?? I was thinking 100gr 777 and 230gr powerbelts should be a solid start

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Ted
    Captain

I previously owned T/C Pro Hunter Encore and T/C Pro Hunter FX and had to sell them due to financial constraints.
    I purchased a new, old stock model of CVA Wolf off a forum member a couple of months ago and quite frankly I was completely stunned at the accuracy I got out of it.
    From a rest using 100gr 777 and 250 Shock Waves I managed to put 2 shots through the same hole at 75yards (no clean between shots) and then after cleaning had the next shot from 50yards touching the other two, the next shot (free hand and no clean again) was 2 inchs left of center.

It may not shoulder quite as well as my old T/C and lets face it, it wont win any beauty contests, but for the price and shoot-ability, I was very impressed.
    If yor knot makeing misstakes in lyfe, yor gust knot trieing harde enuff?

I can attest to Ted's response about the CVA wolf as I was at the range when he was sighting it in. The accuracy of that thing is simply amazing. Ted could've shot the tip off a Q-tip with the CVA Wolf from 75-100 yds out!
    NYS/FL CCW
    --------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of those who threaten to destroy it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Both my sons have them, no complaints. 100 grains is enough powder to do the job. The Power belts fly nice, reload great after more shots than anything else I've tried but they disintegrate in a deer so you don't get much of a blood trail. I've never seen an exit wound with a Power belt and I've shot a lot of deer with them.
    Safety first, never last
    Have a future, not a past.

Private

So should i chose a different bullet since its primary use is going to be for deer? Any recommendations

The problem is all the other types plug up the rifling after a couple of shots making reloading tough. I'm going to the pure lead 295 grain bullets this year to see how they do.
    Safety first, never last
    Have a future, not a past.

Private

Well i went with the powerbelt 245gr and at 100yds with open sights i was very happy with the results. Probably a 6" group shooting free hand off a picnic bench im sure will someone better at shooting targets then myself it could have been alot better. Im confident if i see a deer i want to shoot its life will end swiftly

Ted
    Captain

Not sure if its your first experience with using a 'smoke pole' but don't be surprised if you end up preferring it over a shotgun (If your in a shotgun only deer area that is).

I purchased my first muzzleloader 6 years ago and have not carried a shotgun into the field since. I shoot straighter, further and with infinately more confidence with my m/l than I ever did with my shotgun. Obviously the 'follow up' shot takes a little longer but fortunately that has never been a problem, just make the first one count.

And 'Bill' was correct, in the field the T/C Shock Waves Sabots will only let you do 2, may be 3 rounds before you physically have no choice but to clean the bore of fouling. They do retain good shape after a complete pass-through ensuring two wound channels though! I used the T/C Shock Waves with the yellow sleeves as I found the black sleeved version to simply be too tight to get down the barrel of my Pro Hunter.
    Im sure the power belts will be fine, there not the biggest selling m/l bullet for nothing.
    Good luck and here's to 'smoke in your eyes'.

Private

I do hunt in a rifle zone but i also plan to carry this for my tree stand hunts just to see it kill. Im pretty excited to hunt with it. My last m/l was a traditions that was a pos i almost didn't buy this just because i hated the last one so much

Ted
    Captain

Thats funny, my first M/L was a traditions and it was the gun that got me hooked.

Make sure you get a pic when you get your first 'smoke pole' kill and let us see it.

Private

Will do. My traditions would always mis fire because of the way the breach plug was designed. Sometimes 1 shot was all it took to clog

Captain

The Wolf will be a fine workhorse, make SURE you keep the breech plug greased (Not oiled, use breech plug grease!) and do the cleanup thing religiously, it'll do the job. My son went with the TC Impact last year, another incredible accurate, well made rifle with a bargain price. I like the lifetime TC warranty. the best....
    It is always prudent to keep in mind the fact that an old lion is still, indeed, a lion.

Private

i had on didnt like it much traded it off and got a encore prohunter

My dad, and a guy I work with both have the CVA Wolf and both love them. I and my cousin have CVA Optima's. All 4 guns perform great. +1 on keeping them ultra clean, and using Anti Cease on the breech plug threads. I'm not sure if you can get a Wolf with a Stainless Steel barrel like the other ones or not. Very good first Muzzleloader either way.

I have a Wolf too, works great. It was affordable, light and hits where I aim.

I wasn't about to spend big money on a gun I would use to fill one tag per year, I really don't like them much, too much of a hassle, but it gets me more time in the woods.

Captain

I use a Wolf too. It's a hand-me-down from the family and has visible pitting in the barrel. It still shoots a lot straighter than my 1100.

I've been using PowerBelts but have been skunked in the two m/l seasons that I've been back. However, my father/brothers hit and lost several deer with the PowerBelts in the 6 years that I was out of NY. The ones they recovered have had no exit wounds and little, if any, blood trail. My brother tried Barnes Expanders this year and dropped a doe in her tracks - a first for him in 15 years of hunting (yeah, shot placement but don't tell him that ). Anyway, we're all trying Barnes next year.