pistol kit advice?
Close

Default pistol kit advice?

thinking of getting a BP pistol kit, any advice would be welcome.
    good ones, bad ones, things to avoid?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

My wife bought me a Pietti 1851 navy in .44 cal for my birthday. I love it!! I shoot Hornady ball with 15 gr. It's a blast to shoot and surprisingly accurate

If you want an inexpensive one that shoots great get a traditions trapper.Mine is good at 50 yards. It will easily kill a deer at that range.I browned the barrel instead of blued. You will have to remove some wood around the trigger guard and lock areas and maybe some around the tang. Just take your time a little bit at a time. The barrel should just drop in.I think the hardest part is finishing the barrel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

quak, You don't say what kind of pistol you would like to make. I have never made one from a kit, but have purchased parts from the links provided and they are good reliable company's. They do provide kit's for flintlock and caplock pistol's, as well as books on the subject. Careful this can become addictive, and their is no known cure.
    Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana
    Muzzleloader Builder's Supply Home Page
    Good Luck!!!
    Robin

Ended up getting a Traditions Trapper from Bass Pro,
    still working on it.

They sure are fun shooting, I like shooting the single shot 50 caliber over the 44 cailber revolver.

Also keep in mind that you must have a pistol permit to get one of these. I lost one that I had built while stationed overseas because of NYS's pistol permits requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by armyman73 View Post
    Also keep in mind that you must have a pistol permit to get one of these. I lost one that I had built while stationed overseas because of NYS's pistol permits requirement.
    Does it need to be added on the permit? I am guessing there is no seriel # on these kits.

yes they do have a sn, and if you plan to shoot it, you need to have it on permit. If display only no need too. Even my bp cannon has a sn.

I thought black powder guns didn't need to be on a permit? Figured that's why they were always in the cabelas catalog and such. Don't remember why I thought that...

BP rifles no problem, pistols for display no problem, as soon as you have the componets to fire said pistol, need a permit. Damn NYS!!

BP Pistols are a blast to shoot,I prefer the old cap-lock single-shots over the revolvers. I bought a 45 caliber cap-lock single-shot pistol, a bag of 45 caliber balls, a cow horn powder flask, a can of caps, a brass powder measurer, a 1/4 can of 4F black powder and a 1/4 tube of bore cleaner for $95.
    I'd like to get a 45 caliber and a 44 caliber revolver, Either a Ruger or a Remington reproduction Old Army or Old Nave in stainless. My friend has the cheap repro's from cabelas,and they are CHEAP (cheaply made). The stainless reproductionsare going for around $600 at the gun shows.

Here in Washington State you don't need a pistol permit to buy & shot any kind of pistol. The only permit for handguns is the conceal carry permit, no permit needed to open carry a pistol.

The black powder handguns are fun shooting, acurate too.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

A friend recently told me that you cannot drive to a neighboring state, buy a muzzle loading pistol and drive it back to NY. This doesn't seem right to me because you can order them through the mail. Is he correct? If so, what is the rationale behind this?
    "...man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." -R.Reagan

Deo Vindice.

Oh, silly me - assuming NY has a logical reason for anything - it's usually a knee jerk reaction to an unreasonable fear.
    "...man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." -R.Reagan

Deo Vindice.

I can't answer your question Grumpyolegoat. Most of these hairspliting law questions should be addressed by a lawyer, no, a legal scholar, no, someone that was involved with writing the pertinent law, no, probably the best answer would come from an old fart on the stool next to you in some back road, red neck bar. Maybe not the right answer, but probably the best answer.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    quak, You don't say what kind of pistol you would like to make. I have never made one from a kit, but have purchased parts from the links provided and they are good reliable company's. They do provide kit's for flintlock and caplock pistol's, as well as books on the subject. Careful this can become addictive, and their is no known cure.
    Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana
    Muzzleloader Builder's Supply Home Page
    Good Luck!!!
    Robin
    Robin, those are some really great sites. Thanks for posting them. I definitely want to try my hand at a black powder rifle build one of these days...

Let me know when Buck, I'd be glad to help out in any way I can!!
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I can't answer your question Grumpyolegoat. Most of these hairspliting law questions should be addressed by a lawyer, no, a legal scholar, no, someone that was involved with writing the pertinent law, no, probably the best answer would come from an old fart on the stool next to you in some back road, red neck bar. Maybe not the right answer, but probably the best answer.
    Robin

The old fart would at least be pleasant company.
    As to the query regarding kit guns, I have purchased an 1847 Walker kit from Dixie Gun Works. Made by Uberti, it comes in the white with a one piece walnut grip that is definitely unfinished. Took a couple weeks, but I filed some machine marks, a ding or two here and there, and lightly blued it and then knocked down the bright finish to look like an elderly gun that had seen some use, but was well cared for. The most time consuming part of the whole exercise was in finishing the grips. Sand - put back together, check fit, take apart, sand, put back together...you get the picture. I was very pleased with the result. As a bonus, I'd have to say the action upon arrival was as smooth as silk. It easily rivals anything I've had from S&W, Ruger, or Colt. Sweet gun. Aside from outweighing the average car, I'd highly recommend one of these beauties.
    Last edited by grumpyolegoat; 08-15-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: left stuff out.

Deo Vindice.