Where can I buy Black Powder?
Close

ARA

Default Where can I buy Black Powder?

I am in monroe county. Does anyone know where to get black powder? Not pellets, or pyrodex. I need fff black powder by the pound. I prefer goex. I can't seem to find it anywhere and would prefer to buy local as opposed to mail.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I have been unable to locate black powder locally. I can only find pyrodex. I have looked in nearly every gun store in monroe county. The only way I was able to get it was to order it. If you find a source please let me know I only have 4 pounds left.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

I ordered from goex 2 years ago they sent it right to my door. 5 pound minimum

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

"There's a time to live,a time to die,a time to meet your maker...But isn't it strange as soon as your born,your dying" Bruce Dickinson ~IM~

Raven, It is hard to find locally with all the hoopla someone must go thru to retail black powder. Probably, your best bet is to have it shipped to you.
    Some sources: Black Powder: GOEX - USA, SWISS - Switzerland - Track of the Wolf
    Powder Inc. - Black Powder for shooters, and more
    Jacks Powder Keg
    Robin

A Dark & Unsanitary Place, A.K.A. NY State

There is a ban on it inside Monroe County. Call around outside or mail order.
    Clinging to Guns, Religion and other Extremist Rights Guaranteed by the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Raven, It is hard to find locally with all the hoopla someone must go thru to retail black powder. Probably, your best bet is to have it shipped to you.
    Some sources: Black Powder: GOEX - USA, SWISS - Switzerland - Track of the Wolf
    Powder Inc. - Black Powder for shooters, and more
    Jacks Powder Keg
    Robin
    Robin......I appreciate the information ! But I don't shoot a Smoker.....I just happened to be browsing and saw the member above was looking for some,and figured I would poke around a bit to try and help him out......Thanks again bud...!

"There's a time to live,a time to die,a time to meet your maker...But isn't it strange as soon as your born,your dying" Bruce Dickinson ~IM~

A ban in Monroe county?? Do you mean you cannot possess it, or cannot have it shipped to yourself within the county??? I didn't know that, its crazy!!!
    If you can possess it, then find some Pard's outside the county, pool your money, and have it shipped to them. I don't know the distinction, but there is one. From what I understand, you can pool your money, but you cannot have your Pard buy it all and sell you a can. I think, but don't know that for sure, geeze, its all getting too complicated, talk to a lawyer, better yet, marry one, or formally adopt one, we need government lawcare insurance, they giveth, and taketh away!
    Robin

Corporal

Don't buy it, make it. The ingredients are readily available in the garden centers of Home Despot or Blowes, and the instructions are on YouTube (see specifically Brushhippie's excellent videos). Harbor Freight sells a nice tumbler for grinding your powder. KNO3 (potassium nitrate or salt peter) is sold as stump remover, and sulphur is used on plants. Charcoal is easily purchased or made in your wood stove. It's very cool to make you own powder, especially if you use it for hunting.

Corporal

Most gun shops won't have it. Smokeless gunpowder is a flammable solid. Blackpowder is an explosive. Fire regulations........

Private

message sent

Private

I wouldnt mess around with making bp .Your just asking for a recipe for disaster

Major

I checked in on selling it in my shop. Its 150.00 for a License in NY to sell low grade explosives and I would not have sold enough to even start to pay for the license, so I stayed with all the substitutes for BP.

Major

Several years ago when I was doing reenactments I had one shop tell me that they needed to see ID and have me sign a log to buy black powder. I haven't tried to buy any since. Was that just the shop or is it really a rule?
    Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7

I think that is the rules.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
    Don't buy it, make it. The ingredients are readily available in the garden centers of Home Despot or Blowes, and the instructions are on YouTube (see specifically Brushhippie's excellent videos). Harbor Freight sells a nice tumbler for grinding your powder. KNO3 (potassium nitrate or salt peter) is sold as stump remover, and sulphur is used on plants. Charcoal is easily purchased or made in your wood stove. It's very cool to make you own powder, especially if you use it for hunting.
    I made some as a kid. I never tried using it as any kind of propellant, but I got the impression that to make really good stuff worthy of firing anything it took some practice/skill.

Major

The rules are the same for smokeless powder. I have to get ID and keep records of everyone I sell powder to.

Is there any updates to this? I am also looking for powder / pellet supplies in Monroe county. I wish to use "white hots" pellets but unable to locate any within the county and I am wondering if I will have to travel as far as Bass pro Shops to locate some ( if even they carry it in store)
    Anyone know where I can purchase some without online ordering?

Sergeant

Powder Valley or Track of the Wolf are two good sources. Get a couple of your shooting friends to go in on an order, that cuts down on everyone's haz- mat cost. It's getting hard to find real black powder locally.

Major

Can't get this stuff @ Beikirch's?

Quote Originally Posted by jrtraderny View Post
    Can't get this stuff @ Beikirch's?
    Yes I found out you can.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by quinnow1 View Post
    Yes I found out you can.
    Ok, I thought so.

Private

Last place I bought real black powder was Bixby's in Vermont but that was a few years ago. They sell propane and heating oil but if you call ahead, they would go out to their magazine to get what you wanted for when you arrive. They also sold blasting caps to those licensed to have them.
    Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

143 Bently Ave
    Poultney VT
    802-287- 5512
    Last edited by wolfspotter1; 12-23-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Private

Grafs.com

Just gotta pay the $27 HazMat fee....