pyrodex & triple 7
Close

Default pyrodex & triple 7

Are pyrodex and Triple 7 the same propellant? Triple is available in 60gr pellets and pyrodex comes in 50gr pellets. I was thinking they could be used together to fine tune a load. I think 150gr of pyrodex ( I have two boxes already) is too much. but maybe 110 gr (one pyrodex and one triple 7) would be something to try. any thoughts?
    "Leave the gun Take the cannoli"

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Make sure your life insurance is paid up !
    "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." - Frederick Douglass

Major

Triple 7 is cleaner than pyrodex. If you want to fine tune your loads, use pyrodex loose to vary the amount. There are other BP substitutes which lend themselves to experimentation. I have taken deer with 100 grains triple 7 and 150 grain triple 7 pellets. I use a modern in-line with a strong action.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

You can use triple 7 and pyrodex interchangably with minor differences.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Pryodex is wicked corrosive, don't miss a clean up and it stinks. After using triple 7 I won't even use Pyrodex.
    Safety first, never last
    Have a future, not a past.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Pryodex is wicked corrosive, don't miss a clean up and it stinks. After using triple 7 I won't even use Pyrodex.
    Yeah I honestly think my barrels rust faster with pyrodex than with traditional black powder.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

JPT
    Private

ive found the triple seven in granular form is superior to the pellets, 120grains in my triumph with the aerolite bullet from powerbelt is resulting in 2" groups at 100yds with iron sights, pretty good for me... the reload isnt quite as fast, but with the blackpowder one must always make the first shot count...

Major

I prefer loose powder because every gun seems to like a different load. If you use pellets you can get 30 gr. Pyro or 777.

If you have a Magnum (150 grain Max Charge) In-Line Muzzleloader, I suggest using 130 Grains of Pyrodex (2x 50gr's and 1x 30gr), or 120 Grains of Triple 7 (2x 60gr's). Most of the Powerbelt Bullets sweet spot is between the 110gr-130-gr charge size. Above or below the sweet spot the groups will start to open up.

With my CVA Optima Pro, anything more than 130 grains is just wasted powder in the barrel, as the group size opens back up after 130 grains with a 245grain HP or Powerbelt Aerotip. There is also a LOT of unburned powder left in the barrel if a maximum 150 grain charge is used. After 20 maximum charge shots, it'll take you a solid 45 minutes to get the barrel clean! LOL
    NRA Life Member

Major

Most muzzleloader barrels are not long enough to burn 150 gr. of anything. Its a waste of powder, money and ammo trying to use that much. With 30 & 50 gr you can get many different loads. 50, 60 ,80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140 or 150 gr loads
    Last edited by XP100; 07-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Captain

Triple 7, 100 grains, 145 grain power belts. Shoots 150 yards no problem out of my TC inline.

Has anyone tried the IMR White Hots yet? I just purchased a TC Omega (like new, used) and it came with Pyrodex 50s. We used it to sight it in with the 3x9 scope. Never used a MZ before and man that Pyrodex reeks. I'd like to be able to shoot at least 3 or 4 times before I have to clean the barrel.
    I read some reviews and it was stated that the Omega shot well with the Triple 7 and TC's Shockwave sabots. Where I hunt 95% of the shots will be within 125 yds or less.

Private

Traditional Cap lock 70g of black powder and a .50 cal round ball

The white hots burn even cleaner from what ive heard doesnt fowl barrel nearly as bad. My buddy uses it and he claims he will clean his inline only once a hunting season using this stuff. He also has said its very consistant on its shooting groups.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpowdershooter30 View Post
    The white hots burn even cleaner from what ive heard doesnt fowl barrel nearly as bad. My buddy uses it and he claims he will clean his inline only once a hunting season using this stuff. He also has said its very consistant on its shooting groups.
    Used them in my Black Diamond during summer sighting in, no problems, went hunting in fall,wet, snow, loaded in am, by mid day a good size doe showed up, fired missed watch round fall short. Also watched pellet cork screw away. Next day went back out same think happened. Went to lgs and explained what happened, asked what I was using, chuckled and gave me a box of pyrodex and nerver happened again. Apparently they absorbed the moisture/condesation from loading in am, will never use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by armyman73 View Post
    Used them in my Black Diamond during summer sighting in, no problems, went hunting in fall,wet, snow, loaded in am, by mid day a good size doe showed up, fired missed watch round fall short. Also watched pellet cork screw away. Next day went back out same think happened. Went to lgs and explained what happened, asked what I was using, chuckled and gave me a box of pyrodex and nerver happened again. Apparently they absorbed the moisture/condesation from loading in am, will never use anything else.
    Pyrodex will absorb moisture too, you have to place a rubber cap at the end of muzzle to prevent this.
    White hots do burn way cleaner..

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Pyrodex will absorb moisture too, you have to place a rubber cap at the end of muzzle to prevent this.
    White hots do burn way cleaner..
    Mmmm never heard about rubber cap at end of muzzle, but still it has not failed me since.

Quote Originally Posted by armyman73 View Post
    Mmmm never heard about rubber cap at end of muzzle, but still it has not failed me since.
    Check this out
    Traditions Muzzleloading Rain Gear 10 Muzzle Mitts 10 Cap Guards - Gander Mountain

Thanks I remember the Infantry use to use condoms in the jungles of VN, looks like the same priciple is used here,didn't need them for our tanks LOL
    Last edited by armyman73; 08-01-2013 at 10:02 PM.

A roll of waterproof tape will last a lot longer than those pricey rubber covers. Just load your rifle up and place a piece of tape over the end of the barrel to keep moisture out. It's a old trick my Dad taught me to do with all my hunting firearms.
    NRA Life Member

Switch to Blackhorn 209 and never have to worry about which powder to use again. Comes in loose form and I use 90 grains in my T/C Encore with a custom made 250 gr lead bullet. Also used it with the SST's. Got so everyone I know uses it and all agree, it is the best we've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Timelord View Post
    A roll of waterproof tape will last a lot longer than those pricey rubber covers. Just load your rifle up and place a piece of tape over the end of the barrel to keep moisture out. It's a old trick my Dad taught me to do with all my hunting firearms.
    Agreed, a piece of black electrical tape over the muzzle does the trick. Also if you leave your gun loaded (minus the primer of course) DO NOT bring it in the house. I leave mine in the garage so it doesn't get warm and no worries about temp change causing condensation.

Major

777 is supposed to be loaded 15% less by volume to get same velocity as Pyrodex.