.50cal. for a Grandson
Close

Default .50cal. for a Grandson

He's a bit too young for it right now, but he'll grow into it. I don't think I showed this one yet, just trying to keep some interest going down here in the southern end of the forums. Based on a Christian Beck rifle made around 1808.
    Robin
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

did you make that? if so, you have a fine set of skills. if not, you have a fine eye for guns. that is a beautiful piece, and it almost should be posted on Gunnars...
    "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson
    “Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God.” - Benjamin Franklin
    "If a lefty says it, it's a lie" - Me

That's a beautiful rifle.
    "Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely."
    Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Your work is always amazing! Lucky kid to have a grandpa like you!

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    He's a bit too young for it right now, but he'll grow into it. I don't think I showed this one yet, just trying to keep some interest going down here in the southern end of the forums. Based on a Christian Beck rifle made around 1808.
    Robin
    Dude , I have to come hangout with you sometime.................

Sergeant

Beautiful
    I bet she shoots as well

Thanks fellows, it is much appreciated!!!! ProgSprear, yes I make them, its my labor of love. Deerminator, I was pretty close to finishing it when my wife and I had to make our move, during all that hassle I somehow destroyed the front sight, along with a adding some patina here and there, ouch! I made a new front sight, eyeballed it for windage and elevation the other day and took it out for some final adjustment. First three shots off the bench at 50yd's, and they were a perfect clover leaf about an inch above the bull. When he's ready he can dial it in to his liking.
    Robin

The grain of the stock, and your detail work is absolutely amazing. You are a true craftsman sir. Make sure you pass the trade on to your grandson as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrtraderny View Post
    Dude , I have to come hangout with you sometime.................
    i second that your work is second to none and is beautiful we need to talk turkey and get me into one of these this exact rifle is what im looking for
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson two year NRA member
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

That is gorgeous. Where did you learn the art? Passed down to you or just years of experience?
    All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope....

~Winston Churchill~

Do you use any adhesives for your brass inlets?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

about time you posted some pix of your work, ya old coot ....

I can speak with certainty that Robins work is stunning
    show us some close-up's of the engraving ...!!!

That is a beautiful piece of art, thank you for sharing. I'm sure your grandson will cherish it, a wonderful gift from the heart. I hope it is passed down for many generations to come. I've always loved smoke poles, looking at that give me the urge to take my Hawkins out. I haven't shot it for over 15 years, she hangs on the wall in my home office. I've been thinking about trying my hand at making my own black powder this summer, be a good reason to take the rifle out.

Old coot, HAH! I'll see what I can do on the close ups. I am one notch above the worlds worst photographer, only because I heard the other guy died!
    Inlays are cut from sheet brass, or sterling silver, of varying thickness with a jewelers saw and filed to finish shape, inlet and held in place with either countersunk brass, silver brads that I make, sometimes a tapered steel pin is used to hold them, then cut off and filed to the inlet surface.
    Robin

Sergeant

That's a beautiful rifle. You have a lucky grandson for certain.

Here's one for ya Norm! Not my best effort, but I like to think Paul Revere would approve, being silver and the sentiment.
    Robin
    Attached Images Attached Images

NICE WORK

Grandpa ..

Sergeant

Absolutely beautiful work. You have a gift. And your grandson is one lucky guy- something he will always cheerish.

Private

WOW! I'd be proud to hand something like that to my kin and have them take a piece of me with them to the field. Very cool piece of family heritage.
    Favorite military saying: "Light 'em up boys"
    NRA life member

Corporal

Great build.

Typically I am not a big fan of large patchboxes, but I love the detail no that one. Giving the gaps of wood a touch bit more room makes it a very nice touch.

How are those polished silver or german silver sights to work with in the sun. I was told oily or shiny sights are a bad thing.

Did you build the trigger guard yourself. Look pretty unique compare to other I have seen.

Building a early Virginia rifle in 45 cal. No fancy metal work, just a iron furnished working mans gun.

BigBore, I like patch boxes, big and small, wood or brass, they add a touch of class......., if done right. The open work on the surround creates its own set of problems, but nothing insurmountable, and besides, I like problem solving!
    On the sights, yes shiny sights 'can' be a problem, but I file a small angle at the apex that is somewhat dull in the open and reflects enough light in the darkened woods that even I, with old man eyes, can pick it up. The trigger guard was cut, re-sectioned, brazed back together and reshaped to reflect the same guard that Beck might have used.
    You would be hard pressed to find an early Virginia rifle with Iron furniture as iron was a dear commodity and brass was the common usage for such items. I know of no early Virginia rifle in existence, working man or otherwise that employs iron furniture. However, I firmly believe that it is your gun and you should make it the way you see fit. I have seen a few reproductions in that style using iron, or steel, and they are indeed very pleasing to the eye!! best to you in your endeavor.
    Robin