intermittent cap detonation
Close

Default intermittent cap detonation

I noticed my armi jager zouave tends to have trouble with caps. I'm using CCI number 10 but they don't always ignite the powder and sometimes they don't go off at all. Is there a way to adjust the hammer to strike the cap with more force?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Captain

If you are going to be shooting rather than reenacting I stongly recommend pulling the #10 nipple and replacing with a standard musket nipple that uses 4 or 6 wing musket caps. I've been shooting muskets in team competion for a looong time...even the regular size caps can fail to ignite on occasion, the #10 will be putting out less heat so I would expect more frequent misfires outside of perfect conditions.

Check how much fire you are getting by firing a cap at the ground a few feet in front of you - muzzle about 4-6" from ground [do not load the musket !!!!, just snap the cap 'empty']. If you have a nice clear nipple passage and the caps are hot enough you should see noticable grass movement. If you see very little or no grass movement you are either not hot enough or your passage is restricted [either the nipple itself or the horizontal passage to the chamber].

As far as force on the hammer drop the controlling factor is the Main Spring. If the lock is fairly old or has been fired a lot you may want to replace the main as they can crack as well as go soft over time. You should get a nice sharp strike..if dry fire is dull sounding this is could be the culprit.

just some thoughts - hope its useful.

I had been using the number 10 caps because I have a lot of them and was having trouble finding musket caps. I will try another thorough cleaning of the nipple and channel and use your grass method. The gun is decades old I'd be willing to bet the mainspring is almost as old.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams