Ok the topic of genuine blackpowder, where is this mythical unicorn
Close

Default Ok the topic of genuine blackpowder, where is this mythical unicorn

Ok I'm in the process of buying a 54 caliber flintlock and I've read you can't use trip 7 or pyrodex with any real success. Blackpowder is the only way to go. I can't afford 5 pounds at a time nor would it be effective driving out of state for the stuff. Where do you guys buy this stuff and what's the prices on it
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson two year NRA member
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

[URL=http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/indianracing88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0403_zpsnyv5awqx.jpg.html][/URL
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

here is the rifle

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Nice 1776 assault weapon. I'm not a BP shooter but know that at some gun clubs BP shooters group buy it to split up the stash. Off the top of my head, Alabama Hunt Club, Bergen, Bog Trotters, Darien Lakes? Names n places of people I've crossed paths with associated with BP hunting. Look up gun stores in Batavia.

Watch out for British Redcoats seizing powder supplies.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.
    Certified Desk Pilot; multi engine rating.

Why not just make your own? It is very easy to do.

Corporal

i dont know if they'll ship to ny

Powder Inc. - Black Powder for shooters, and more

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Guy View Post
    I'm ok with making my own I looked up how to make it last night and feared the Fed were gonna crash threw my door with me trying to be a domestic terrorist and all lol. It's a process and when your all said and done it doesn't burn all that well. I know bass pro sells it but the closest one in Utica and that's a haul with a kid without a lot of money. I'll call around in Batavia though and see if I find a place I'll let everyone know
    Last edited by blackpowdershooter30; 09-08-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Powder inc. is another source. It is much cheaper to order it and have it shipped right to your door. I would have to be very hard up to use any of the black powder sub's, they contain percolates that will rot your bore, even with an extremely thorough cleaning. They also have a higher temp. ignition point that will give you trouble in a flintlock, as the flash pan will not reliably ignite it, though I have heard of guys dumping a bit of real B/P down the barrel first as a primer to ignite the pyrodex, but then what's the point.. Also 777 is measurably more powerful than the others and requires that you start with less powder and work up a load specifically for that stuff. There is no good reason not to use real black powder, even clean up can be done with plain old water and requires no special solvents.
    Glad you found a gun, best to you.
    Robby

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Guy View Post
    Yes it isn't all that difficult, but it IS dangerous. There are many accounts of powder mills Blowing up and killing workers, and even today with modern safety standards this does happen occasionally.
    http://archives.timesleader.com/1997...ANT_BLAST.html
    Another explosion at Camp Minden | Shreveporttimes | shreveporttimes.com

Major

I use Goex in my Hawkins with no trouble. Pyrodex works too but dirty.

Thank you robin for weighing in (and I'm still interested in one of your rifles lol) I'll have to save my pennies and order from them also if there are any reenactment people who are ordering if I can get in for 3 pounds I'd be happy lol

I get mine from graf and sons. That bench looks like the firing pin perhaps?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Major

Did you try Beikirchs, I used to get it there years ago.

Sergeant

The problem with Pyrodex of Triple & in a flintlock is getting it to ignite. One trick is to do a duplex load, ten or fifteden grains of black powder down against the breech, and the balance of the load, pyrodex or whichever on top of that. It will work, but it's a pain to do all the time. I just use black powder in my flint guns. Like a few other posters said, get a couple of other guys to go in on an order from Powder Valley, or Powder Inc., both good companies, and they ship to Cuomostan.

Quote Originally Posted by jrtraderny View Post
    Did you try Beikirchs, I used to get it there years ago.
    No longer a distributor of the stuff