Southern Mountain Rifle
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Southern Mountain Rifle

The rugged elegance of these guns kind of captured my imagination, so I made one. Between wasting my time in useless palaver with a complete fool yesterday, I was able to enjoy sighting in this .36 cal. gun hot off the work bench. iron furniture, maple stock. Yeowee!!! what a tack driver!!!!
    Robin
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Robin your work is always amazing. Do you find your own stock material or do you work off blanks?

Beautiful!

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Fellows. Gunsick, I always start with a slab of wood about 2-1/2" thick usually, mostly maple, sometimes black, English walnut, or cherry. This gun is from a maple tree that I had cut up at a local saw mill. This piece I chose because there in not a lot of figure in it, much like the guns I was studying. It is a very petite gun and probably is between four and five pounds. Even an old man like me can carry it all day long in pursuit of rabbits and squirrels, hah!
    Robin

Very pretty rifle sir.

Captain

Awesome piece! Looks much like the cover of a recent MuzzleBlasts. I was just reading on this style in Foxfire 5 over the last week - rekindling an old spark.

What lock did you use?

Thank you Subterfuge. The lock is an L&R Bailes, or sometimes called a 'small Manton'. Very fast and a good sparker.
    Robin

That's a work of art, awesome job!
    Safety first, never last
    Have a future, not a past.

Sergeant

That is a beautiful rifle. What weight charge do you use in a .36 caliber?

Colonel

Very nice. You ,my man, have a gift.

John, With the crappy weather we've had I haven't worked up a load yet. With a small bore like this I usually work up a low load for the tree critters and something with a little more oomph for bigger game like woodchucks at longer yardages. I think I was using 30gr's of fff to test it out and it was very accurate and from the sound of it, it was moving along at a good rate. I'll probably settle on something closer to 20gr's. for the low load, and 50gr's. for the high load. Of course it also depends on what the gun likes.
    Robin

Sergeant

Georgous and a tack driver.
    EXCELLENT!!

Major

Beautiful little gun. I used to make "smoke poles' in the winter months. Congrats

Robin I envy you your skill and craftsmanship. Have you ever written a tutorial or at least an outline of how to source the materials and the basic steps for a project like this? Beautiful work, sir!
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

that is a nice piece of work Robin... how many hours does it take to make one of those?
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Celt, I'm not sure because I don't keep track of the time. I made an effort to do that some time ago. I kept a log and clocked in and out, but it only took a short time before I thought, that's no fun and tossed it. Besides, it could never include the time I spend researching, sitting pondering, and drawing things out for carving and engraving, I go through a lot of erasers, HAH! All in all it probably figures out to something below minimum wage, even with the raise that FUAC is proposing. I enjoy every aspect of the process so it is not work to me.
    Hofmeisterkink, I started in on this before I had access to the internet and have probably inculcated many wrong way's of doing things, so a tutorial by me might just be counter productive. I do help out anyone that asks and will continue to do so. I believe there are tutorials out there on the internet but I'm not sure what phrase you would use to find them. There is a website for anyone interested, it has some of the most knowledgable people out there making these guns,
    AmericanLongRifles Forums - Index

Robin

I hope that one day Ill get to retire while I still have a mind and body that can enjoy things like this. I cant think of a more enjoyable way to spent some time than to hand craft a piece of history. good for you my friend!
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

You guys should see his powder horns. They are just as beautiful and he does absolutely amazing work. Robin when the weather breaks you wanna have another shoot?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson two year NRA member
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

Okay powder30, but this time I get to shoot too!
    Robin

Im cool with that lol
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    scope member due to a good man thanks again! Flintlocks being shot is almost as better as sex thanks robin!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpowdershooter30 View Post
    Robin when the weather breaks you wanna have another shoot?
    I'd like to come.

[QUOTE=Robin;1039105]The rugged elegance of these guns kind of captured my imagination, so I made one. Between wasting my time in useless palaver with a complete fool yesterday, I was able to enjoy sighting in this .36 cal. gun hot off the work bench. iron furniture, maple stock. Yeowee!!! what a tack driver!!!!
    Robin[/QUOTE

I don 't normally come to this forum since I expunged the BP out of my system years ago, but seeing this beautiful piece of work just triggered a lot of old memories. this rifle reminds me of the "Kentucky Poor Boy" Dixie Gun Works used to sell. The old man gave me two, one 32 and one 50 caliber in return for a story that I did for Sports Afield. I didn't get much use out of the 50, but I used the 32 as a squirrel gun for three years and never had more fun in the field. still have a vivid memory of taking a squirrel out of a tree at 50 plus yards with a clean head shot, probably the best shot I ever made. Truly amazing accuracy for a 200 year ole design. this piece Robin reminded me of that and I can see the love you put into it. Good luck. Right now I'll go back to the pictures and drool
    "We Are Not Descended From Fearful Men"

Thank you WarrenDee, that was a nice story.

R1150R, Cool!!

The more the merrier id say and robin i now have 2 lbs of powder so i don't have to ask you for yours anymore lol

Well, the weather has broken!!!! many times over. You guy's still up for it?
    Robin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast