new to black powder, I have question?
Close

Private

Default new to black powder, I have question?

I have been reloading for awhile . just purchased a 1858 new army ....can i shoot a .452 lead rnfp instead of a ball..?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    ARA

I don't see why not. Have never tried it personally. The only problem I could see is when you load a .454 round ball, it shaves the outside of the ball as you press into the cylinder. It would be hard to hold a rnfp centered over the cylinder. Maybe have to size it ahead of time?

Any reason you don't want to use a ball? The new army is very accurate with ball. It's the only pistol I have that I can hit paper 4 out of 6 shots at 75 yds (Have to hold over the target about 3 ft lol).

I would agree with ARA, that is what they are made for. Another consideration is can it stabilize a bullet in its rifling configuration also. what increase in chamber pressure might occur.
    Robin

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Captain

Be really aware, as a new guy, of the need to properly seal each chamber with grease or the alternative wads, a chain fire is a horrible thing to behold! You probably have read up on it already, but it never hurts to throw it into the conversation.
    It is always prudent to keep in mind the fact that an old lion is still, indeed, a lion.

Private

You will find that a .454 round ball will shoot much better, be less expensive and require less fuss with loading straight down the chamber. There are elongate, heavier bullets designed for these guns by Buffalo Bullets, Kaido Ojamaa and others. Dixie Gun works has an excellent catalogue that I recommend for every black powder shooter, and I have a number of videos, articles and book chapters on shooting and hunting with this class of guns. Just Google" Hovey revolver" and that should start to get you into my materials.