Latham Dick's/Field & Stream
Close

Corporal

Default Latham Dick's/Field & Stream

I went there last Monday, and at least found some .22, but all sale items were sold-out the day before, as was all CCI ammo which was not on sale. I picked-up 1,000 rounds of Remington, then got to front registers, and found the line went to the rear of the store...I asked a customer toward the front of the line how long he had been in line, and he said over 2-hours, so I left.

Have things improved, or should I wait a month?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

You didn't mention the time of day you went. That could matter.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Corporal

Around 11AM. I simply won't stand in line for over 2 hours to pay for an item. The gun/ammo counter required you to take a number to even ask a question, like the deli at Price-Chopper...estimated wait there was 45 minutes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Sergeant

I've been there a few times. Once at there soft opening, no lines. Once on a Saturday. Probably 60-80 people in line. Maybe a 10 minute wait with 14 registers running.

It has improved and after a week or 2. There will be no lines or waiting, I was there Friday morning and was just looking at pistols and 2 people asked if they could help me and no lines at register

Corporal

Good to know, but I expect they're still out of stock of CCI Mini-Mags, as is everyone. And with NYS being denied out of state shipping, we are at retailer's mercy, both for availability, and prices. Maybe some good VT source of ammo that can be bought over-the counter? Heard there was a relatively new ammo-only store, either Bennington or Rutland, but never got their name...maybe just a rumor?

I wouldn't stand in line for two hours to get it free with a something extra under the counter from the cashier. Expecting customers to wait two hours and then still expect money from them is crazy unless you're selling food and they're all starving.

Corporal

It was like the Saratoga gun shows, where the line went around the block...I have back problems, and just can't do that anymore.
    I'll let Dick's/Field and Stream settle-down a month or so, then go on a weekday morning. I was going there regularly, at their old venue, since I worked at NYSIC in Latham, and could hit it on my lunch "hour", but I retired and it's a 30-minute drive now. They have lots of handicap parking now, way more than Walmart did before...wish Dick's had express or self-serve registers.

The store is appropriately named...they are dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl in NY View Post
    Good to know, but I expect they're still out of stock of CCI Mini-Mags, as is everyone. And with NYS being denied out of state shipping, we are at retailer's mercy, both for availability, and prices. Maybe some good VT source of ammo that can be bought over-the counter? Heard there was a relatively new ammo-only store, either Bennington or Rutland, but never got their name...maybe just a rumor?

Targetsports usa still ships to NY and they have CCI on sale all the time, i know because i get thier emails every 2 days and have ordered from them

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    Targetsports usa still ships to NY and they have CCI on sale all the time, i know because i get thier emails every 2 days and have ordered from them
    Thanks...they must not be aware of NYS law. I'll try them.

Its been said a million times on this forum,,,,,there is no law prohibiting ammunition dealers or customers to buy or sell to NY. Had 204 delivered to my house the other day.

Thanks...they must not be aware of NYS law. I'll try them.
    Bullets First

Corporal

Well, there is a NYS requirement to have a pistol permit to buy pistol caliber ammo...and the database requirement still remains on the books, despite never having become functional. I believe that is the reason few dealers will ship to NYS unless it's to an FFL.

Postmaster General Darthgamer138's Avatar

There is no NYS online ammo ban.

There is no NYS background check requirement on ammo.

There is no NYS requirement for a pistol permit to buy pistol ammo, as it's nearly all interchangeable ammo.

No more misinformation plz.
    Proud NRA ​LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Divemaster Apprentice/Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​I57. Proud Atheist.

Well, there is a NYS requirement to have a pistol permit to buy pistol caliber ammo...and the database requirement still remains on the books, despite never having become functional. I believe that is the reason few dealers will ship to NYS unless it's to an FFL.
    The need to show a pistol license when buying pistol caliber ammo is store policy not law.

Wrong,,,,,,,,,,,

Bullets First

Corporal

There is a temporary MOU suspending that portion of the SAFE Act and allowing Internet sales, yet it remains part of PL265.

From a Cuomo press release:
    Gov. Andrew Cuomo has agreed to suspend plans for background checks for ammunition sales in New York and allow internet sales of ammunition, changing part of the NY Safe Act, according to state Sen. James Seward.
    The changes are part of a "memorandum of understanding" struck between senate Republicans and Cuomo, a Democrat, according to Seward. It wasn't immediately clear if Assembly Democrats backed the changes.

But a spokesman for Cuomo said the Safe Act suspensions would not change state laws regarding Internet sales.
    "No provision of the SAFE Act –including the ban on Internet ammunition sales -- has been rolled back or altered due to this memorandum," Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi said. "This simply acknowledges what has been said previously -- the ammunition sales database will not be prematurely introduced until the technology is ready and it does not create an undue burden for business owners. "

Whatever the reason who cares, let's not debate it but support a business that laughs in the face of fuac and gives us good options

Sergeant

been there 3 times now no lines tons of 22s..same thing at crossgates.smothered in 22s

Captain

Was in there last night for a new bow target, went about an hour before it closed and it was basically a ghost town. They had a better selection of 6.8 the day they opened though, only had hornady yesterday

Private

I went there last Monday, and at least found some .22, but all sale items were sold-out the day before, as was all CCI ammo which was not on sale. I picked-up 1,000 rounds of Remington, then got to front registers, and found the line went to the rear of the store...I asked a customer toward the front of the line how long he had been in line, and he said over 2-hours, so I left.

Have things improved, or should I wait a month?
    Had a HORRIBLE experience. Same thing: out of all the "doorbuster" deals, and a safe I wanted. Also found the 2 "yutes" on duty knew very little about the products and firearms.
    Then, to top it off I ended up with the most rude, sarcastic B-_-h on earth ringing me up. I was there around 11:30 AM, and will NOT be going back. Sad.
    Mike