Greene County Pistol Permit Application Character Reference Form
Close

Private

Default Greene County Pistol Permit Application Character Reference Form

Please advise on the following questions / comments.
    Question 4 on the Character Reference Form asks “Has the applicant ever been arrested?”. I am 67 years old and have had a home in Greene County for about 25 years and now have retired and lived here for full time for about 2 1/2 years. Some 51 - 52 years ago as a youth in Queens, New York City, I was arrested. I am sure that I was not convicted and I think my record was sealed because of my age, 16 -17. I am not even sure of the charges. My neighbors / character references that I have known for the past 20 - 30 years of course are not aware of my arrest some 51 - 52 years ago. For that matter, my children, grand children, pastor and most other people in my life are not aware of this.
    Question:
    1. Am I obligated to now have to explain to my neighbors / friends / character references that I was arrested some 51 - 52 years ago when I myself are no longer aware of the charges?
    2. Question 5 goes on to ask, “If so, for what, when and where”?. I don’t have the answers to these questions myself so couldn’t tell them if I wanted to, which of course I don’t.
    3. In addition the Pistol / Revolver License Application form page 1 asks, “Have you ever been arrested ———“ and goes on to ask for dates, police agency, charge, disposition date, disposition court and disposition. I am either not sure or do not know the answer to most of these questions. In addition there is a stern “Notice” included in the application package that warns against “failure to disclose” and “false sworn statements” and how they will be treated as a “criminal offense and permanent denial” of my application.
    How do I respond to these questions?
    I also noticed that several of the questions on the Character Reference Form are couched as “To your knowledge” or “Do you believe” or “In your opinion” however questions 4 asks for a positive “Has” the applicant ever been arrested”. It would at least seem to me that question 4 would or should have been couched in the same way.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I don't see a need for you to inform all of your character references about an arrest 50+ years ago. Just make sure you list it on your application.

I'm not sure how you'd obtain the information on your prior arrest. You can try calling the police precinct it occurred in, but I suspect there will be little to no record of your arrest, since it happened so long ago. I think I would put in a good faith effort to track down the information, and populate the form with what I was able to come up with, then perhaps attach a letter explaining things as well.

This seems like something that would be worth contacting a lawyer about. Maybe talk to David Fried - he's represented here by Adam Gonzalez under the username DFJustice. A quick consultation won't cost much.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.