New York Firearms Forum banner

JUST REC. MY Westchester NY PERMIT, what is says is surprising

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  smitty846 
#1 ·
Westchester County, NY - after waiting 1 YEAR and 1 month from first application, I just got my permit. Not a fun or easy process, BUT! My permit says ? "Sportsperson" NOT "range" or "target"?? ....I am new to all this so please bare with me. What are the different types of permits and what to they mean, and where can I carry my firearm? Can I only "carry" it to the range, or to my camping trip, or hunting? PLMK I mean i'm happy to have ANY permit after that wait and process !! but not sure where I am allowed to carry.

#2 ·
Well thats typical of New York laws Confusing.

We are licensed thru the state for a conceal carry permit meaning we can carry a concealed firearm. Out local county Judges put the restrictions on it. So you are now restricted to use your firearm for "sportsman" purpose. so if you used it for self defense in your home have you used your firearms improperly?

I listen to an instructor explain to his students that they are only allowed to carry there firearm concealed on them while they were in the ACT of "sportsman" not when they are in route to the "sportsman event" Good luck trying to figure it out. it would be nice if there was a book we could read that state the requirement we have to follow.

Good Luck with your new fire arm. Do you have any experience with a hand gun

#3 ·
Page 13 and 21 of the Westchester pistol handbook (http://www.westchesterclerk.com/ima... Safety and Information Handbook 01082014.pdf) lists the various restrictions. You probably read it over a year ago by the sound of it. With the Sportsperson restriction you can also use the handgun for target shooting at the range. It doesn't hurt to review it again. Based on the handbook: "*RESTRICTED CARRY: Issued to have and carry concealed, during the course of and strictly in connection with a specific activity or purpose, " The strictest interpretation would be you can only carry while actively engaged in the allowed activities and should be cased to and from the range, etc.

#5 ·
NY gun applications are meant to be long & tedious in hopes of most people just giving up. The laws are meant to be confusing to scare people to keep carrying to a minimum by fear of being arrested for breaking the law. This is communist NYC.

with a sportsman you can shoot for target practice. i originally had target & 1month later applied for sportsman that took 3-4months to approve, explaining i wanted to camp with family with the ability to protect family from wild animals.
they just give you another license & i carry both.

#6 ·
read the Westchester County Pistol Handbook...

sportsman covers target, hunting, camping, fishing. Unfortunately in NY you might be victim to how a cop feels the day he pulls you over and you tell him you have a Sportsman license and you're concealing on your person.

what you SHOULD know in regards to transporting page 24 rule #10:
REGARDLESS OF THE TYPE OF FIREARM LICENSE HELD, THE LICENSEE MAY LEGALLY TRANSPORT FIREARM BETWEEN LOCATION WHERE GUN IS KEPT OR STORED TO/FROM ANY PLACE GUN WILL BE REGISTERED, BOUGHT,SOLD, OR REPAIRED, OR TO ANY PLACE WHERE LICENSEE WILL LEGALLY USE THE FIREARM FOR FAMILIARIZATION OR PRACTICE PURPOSES
FIREARMs MUST BE KEPT UNLOADED, IN A LOCKED BOX WITH AMMO KEPT SEPERATE.....UNLESS THE LICENSEE HOLDS A CARRY LICENSE.

how is the cop going to prove you didnt just come from shooting that day or from the weekend and you are TRANSPORTING your gun HOME. A sportsman IS a carry license technically so it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A LOCKED BOX it clearly says in their own admin rules.
This rule should apply to being able to carry on your person on the way to the range. I would say that would fall under how you're TRANSPORTING your gun.

#8 ·
That's the problem with Communist, Not to much in writing so it is left up to the descretion of the cop and the judge.

FNYS and FUAC!

#10 ·
You are responding to a 3 year old thread. Anyway, this is terrible advice. No cop is going to fall for the story. It's been tried many times before. It's the oldest trick in the book.You are not outsmarting anyone. Especially when you're confronted in a store with a shopping cart full of crap. The on my way to/from a range isn't going to fly. Regardless when follow up questions are asked, you will crumple like a cheap suit because your story is a lie. Do not do this "going to the range" act. It's the quickest way to get your permit revoked and all guns seized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.