Broome County concealed
Close

Private

Default Broome County concealed

I have had my pistol permit for a while now. I would like to get my concealed. I was wondering if I was to apply now is there any chance I would get it? Can't take a course now that everything is closed.

Is there any harm in trying? Could you point me where to send my letter to? Should I say anything special?

Thank you in advanced.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Judge Cawley has been pretty clear that he'd like to see you take a course before you apply. I expect applying for restriction removal without the course would result in denial with a suggestion of courses to take.

While I do not think there would be harm in trying - Cawley has consistently come across as very fair - I do not think you should. We have a nice, crystal-clear path to unrestricted permits... take it. A little bit of patience will pay off in spades.

In the meantime, if you feel it's really necessary, there's nothing legally preventing you from carrying right now. You already have a concealed carry permit, albeit with "restrictions." Restrictions are extra-legal (meaning they are not part of the law) and you cannot be charged with a crime for violating them. In theory, a licensing officer could suspend your permit if you were caught, but that would require a lot of things to happen first:

1) You'd need to get caught
    2) The officer would need to care enough to report it to Cawley
    3) Cawley would need to care enough to do something about it (and be willing to subject NYS to the potential legal ramifications)

None of these are likely.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

You are correct with respect to Rochester Personal Defense has cancelled class for first Saturday in April at Greene Rod and Gun Club. Fingers crossed for first Saturday in May. This is the first I have heard that Cawley wants applications to take a class before you can apply. RPD requires pistol permit to take the class.
    Sir Michael Foster, judge of the Court of King’s Bench, wrote in the 18th century, “The right of self-defense . . . is founded in the law of nature, and is not, nor can be, superseded by any law of society.” Cicero said 2,000 years ago, “If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right;”

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

https://safeinrochester.com/course/f...ucpt-5-2-2020/

Required Equipment:
    For this class, you will need the following items:

• A valid New York State Pistol Permit
    • Eye and ear protection
    • A reliable, defensive-oriented firearm (NO hunting or target guns)
    • A minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition (more is better!)
    • A minimum of 2 magazines or speedloaders with carriers/holders
    • A quality,strong-side, belt-mounted type holster (NO shoulder or SERPA type holsters)
    • A sturdy belt for your holster and magazine pouch.
    • Comfortable footwear and weather-appropriate clothing.
    • A hat with brim
    • Water and quiet snacks
    • A lunch
    Sir Michael Foster, judge of the Court of King’s Bench, wrote in the 18th century, “The right of self-defense . . . is founded in the law of nature, and is not, nor can be, superseded by any law of society.” Cicero said 2,000 years ago, “If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right;”

Hey all: Dave from Rochester Personal Defense, LLC here:

Actually, Cawley does not require a pre permit course any longer. It's optional now.

As for the April course, yes, we did reschedule it until the May one. (All you have to do is call us at 585-406-6758) and we can fill you in on anythign we do)

Neoxum: Call me and I will get you set up for the next one.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for: Well, pretty much everything!
    Handgun Combatives Certified Instructor
    USCCA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor
    Sig Master Handgun Instructor
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffc607 View Post
    This is the first I have heard that Cawley wants applications to take a class before you can apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Actually, Cawley does not require a pre permit course any longer. It's optional now.
    I think there has been a misunderstanding. I said "apply" in the context of "applying to have restrictions removed from an existing permit."
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

Corporal

Writing a letter,and asking to have your restrictions removed, so as you may apply for and receive your PA permit for the purpose of hunting in pennsylvania,has been a sure fire way to get your restrictions removed. In my experience it has worked every time.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Hey all: Dave from Rochester Personal Defense, LLC here:

As for the April course, yes, we did reschedule it until the May one. (All you have to do is call us at 585-406-6758) and we can fill you in on anythign we do)

Neoxum: Call me and I will get you set up for the next one.

Does he no longer require a course to request or "apply" to have restrictions removed from your pistol permit? I think this is the original posters question, i also have the same question. I have a pistol permit in a few other states, as well as nys, but want to have the "restrictions" imposed in broome county removed.

Private

How do I go about trying to write a letter and have my restrictions removed? The only way to get a permit in PA with my NY one is with restrictions removed prior to applying in PA.

What's the address and what needs to be said?

Thank you.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxum View Post
    How do I go about trying to write a letter and have my restrictions removed? The only way to get a permit in PA with my NY one is with restrictions removed prior to applying in PA.

Thank you.
    Maybe others more familiar with your specific county will chime in, but the easiest thing for you to do it to try another county in PA. Some will issue with a restricted NY license. Call around to a few counties and see.

Corporal

Thank you.
    Look, I told you a perfect and sure fire, fail safe way to make it happen. Its worked every single time.

Private

I know what you said. Do I just send a letter to the court house with the judges name in the address?

Corporal

I know what you said. Do I just send a letter to the court house with the judges name in the address?
    If Broome is like Tioga, take your letter to the pistol clerk, and they will send it on to the Judge. Im not altogether up to speed on Broome( I have written a few referrals for Broome residents however), but thats how Tioga works.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    If Broome is like Tioga, take your letter to the pistol clerk, and they will send it on to the Judge. Im not altogether up to speed on Broome( I have written a few referrals for Broome residents however), but thats how Tioga works.
    Oh,and you dont have to be all flowery and state the obvious, just simply say "Your Honor Judge Cawley I respectfully ask to have my restrictions removed for the purpose of obtaining my PA permit for hunting in said state. My wife was all flowery, it got rejected, so she rewrote her letter and simply stated, please Sir, remove my restrictions. offering no reason what so ever and was approved in under a week.

While I can't say with absolute certainty that things have not changed, I am reasonably confident that Cawley will want you to take a course before he lifts your restrictions (note: this is NOT the same thing as what Dave from RPD was saying - we are not talking about a PRE-permit course, we are talking about lifting restrictions).

I do not think simply writing a letter to Cawley will get your restrictions lifted, but I also do not think trying that path would be harmful.

Regardless of whether or not you are seeking the removal of restrictions, training courses are always a good idea. So I recommend you take an approved course no matter what.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    Oh,and you dont have to be all flowery and state the obvious, just simply say "Your Honor Judge Cawley I respectfully ask to have my restrictions removed for the purpose of obtaining my PA permit for hunting in said state. My wife was all flowery, it got rejected, so she rewrote her letter and simply stated, please Sir, remove my restrictions. offering no reason what so ever and was approved in under a week.
    We all do actually, hunt PA. So its not like we are trying some BS end run.