Do You Carry a Backup? If So, Then What is Your Method?
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By smitty846
  • 1 Post By smitty846

Thread: Do You Carry a Backup? If So, Then What is Your Method?

Default Do You Carry a Backup? If So, Then What is Your Method?

Carried a backup for the first time today. My primary is S&W Model 36 (38 Special) and I carried my Model 43C (22 LR) as backup. I use Barami Hip-Grips on both, so I appendix-carried the 36 and I guess you could say reverse appendix-carried the 43C.

In terms of physical comfort, it definitely felt different than appendix-carrying one little revolver. Tomorrow I might try one appendix-carry and one pocket carry (in pocket holster). But psychologically I liked the idea of having a New York Reload at my disposal. I am a New Yorker, after all!

So do you carry a backup, and how do you do it?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

I don’t normally but I will here and there. I was going downtown in my town and there were supposed to be BLM protests happening. I brought my Springfield xd and a Ruger lcpII. My dads a cop but never carried so I brought one to give to him if the shit hit the fan. It didn’t so I kept possession of it the entire time. One was IWB and the other was pocket carried.

Sergeant

I don’t. I wouldn’t really recommend it either. Maybe you should just carry a higher capacity semi auto instead. I do usually carry a backup mag with me though.

I say I don’t recommend it for two reasons. The first is now you’ve got double the responsibility. Double the weapons to be aware of and protect at all times.

The second reason, and this was explained to me by a “cop” in a pretty high capacity, not a traffic guy or a regular patrol guy, but more of an elite specialty unit guy, and that is if you have to ever use it, you want to be looked at as just a regular Joe minding his own business. He himself usually only carries a .357 5 shot revolver and nothing else when not working. Carrying multiple guns and reloads makes it look like you’re out looking for trouble or other things along those lines.

Now is that illegal? No, but the impressions and appearances you make matter and would be a factor in initial proceedings and certainly brought up in court testimony.

You will almost certainly never have to use a gun. Stick to one. If you are in such an area where you feel you need to carry more, do yourself a favor and just avoid that area altogether. Your freedom and/or life may depend on it. The “I feared for my life” reasoning is less likely to protect you from charges if it can be asserted that you knew it was a dangerous area and you took up extra offensive arms and went there anyway. Makes it seem like you were looking for a fight. Remember, it’s not so much as what is proven, but what sounds reasonable to the jury and what will they believe. It may sound cool to the guys here to carry multiple guns, but to the little old polish lady from Depew on the jury, she is going to look at you as a nut job and vote to throw the book at you. Overall, it’s a terrible look. Avoid it.
    RochPersDef and Casca like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Corporal

I never carry a backup, I carry my Beretta, and a spare magazine, i dont want to be fumbling with 2 guns and seperate magazines in a high pressure situtation. I figure, 21 rounds should be sufficiant to getme out of the jam and in retreat..I'm not keen on hanging around for a fire fight, im looking to GTFO..

Some good points here. Risk/benefit ratio points to the backup as probably not worth it. Guess I will stick with one gun.

What about adding a speed loader?

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Owl Man View Post
    Some good points here. Risk/benefit ratio points to the backup as probably not worth it. Guess I will stick with one gun.

What about adding a speed loader?
    Go for it. I would recommend it.
    RochPersDef likes this.

Smitty hit it well. The biggest thing to be able to answer is "WHY?". Personally, I have been in a role where a backup was necessary. It was a PIA.
    Carry what you want but be aware that at some point, you may have to be able to reasonably articulate why you carried it.

Were you carrying a backup in case your primary gun failed? et a better quality handgun- problem salved.
    Do you think carrying a backup will make you faster? Get training and become proficient- problem solved.
    Carrying a backup for your buddy? Tell them to learn how to carry and get trained. And then get their own gun.

Usually, I see people carrying a sub caliber, ultra compact handgun either as a primary or backup. Why?
    Those that train and have adopted the armed lifestyle know that you need a specific minimum caliber to effectively cause the attacker to stop. Yes, there are lot of people
    who say "Anything is better then nothing" or "Think a .22 is nothing? How bout you get hit with one and tell me it's nothing?." Well, that's true to a small extent.
    Ballistically, there's a balance between WHAT you hit them with and WHERE you hit them. The emphasis is on WHERE, meaning shot placement. The smaller the bullet, the more accurate you must be.

Yeah, now everyone is a crack shot, can hit bullseyes, and can create one hole groupings with hundreds of rounds. I get it. But, on the street, in real life, you'll be lucky to get hits at all - unless you have trained
    for a real life confrontation. That 1.75" .22 Derringer you've got jammed down into your Levi's isn't going to save the day. Neither will the .32 auto in your sock or ankle rig. If you are expecting a win, you may end up sorely disappointed. Or dead.

My advice from over 25 years as a DEFENSIVE/Combative Firearms instructor is to:
    1: Get a mid sized gun in 9mm or higher (largest size and caliber you can handle, conceal, and use) Carry at least one reload.
    2: Get yourself to a defensive/combative firearms instructor. NOT your buddy or the cop you know or the military vet - an actual, real life instructor. Take training. Lots of it. Repeat as often as possible.
    3: Study the mindset of a concealed carry lifestyle practitioner. Adopt it.
    4: Stay proficient. Practice as often as possible. Going to the range and putting a few holes in a target while standing still is not practice. That's just target shooting
    5: Carry as often as you can, wherever you can - legally.
    6: If you are going somewhere and you think you need your gun- because of where you're going - do yourself a favor and avoid that place.

Follow these tips and you'll most likely be better off. Your mileage may vary and there are no warranties expressed or otherwise.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for: Well, pretty much everything!
    Handgun Combatives Certified Instructor
    USCCA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor
    Sig Master Handgun Instructor
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Private

I don't carry a backup but always have a spare mag except for the rare occasion where a spare mage on the hip doesn't hide well. Guess I could just put one in my pocket on those days but they're pretty rare and I have enough stuff in my pockets. I use the pitbul tactical universal mag carriers. They're pretty handy and work with every pistol mag I've used so far.

Corporal

I always thought of a BUG as something semi-auto guys carried. Like a snubby 38 if their primary failed. Not sure why you would carry two revolvers, I mean if you're worried about round count, train with the speed loaders or get a semi. Just my 2 cents.....
    I used to carry a revolver, an SP101 with speed loaders. Great gun, very reliable, and I got pretty good with the speed loaders too. I got my first semi-auto about a year ago, a Glock model 45. It didn't take long to adjust to the semi-auto lifestyle. Now the revolvers collect dust in my safe.
    Anyway, to answer the question, no I don't carry a BUG. I have carried a snub in an ankle holster as a BUG. Or even as a primary depending on how restrictive the situation is. My advice to you, as a fellow revolver enthusiast, is to get yourself a reliable semi for self defense. (and leave the 22 for the range)

Appreciate both of your perspectives - thank you!

One of the articles that had gotten me thinking about this in the first place.

https://gundigest.com/article/concea...-up-gun-part-1

Corporal

Almost all of those stories involved police carrying a BUG. The average person shouldn't need a BUG. Sure, there are specific situations that may warrant it, but not everyday, IMHO.

That seems to be the consensus, and I'm going with it!