Utah Non Resident CCW no go in PA ? - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Corporal

hi Rome, which PA county u went to? looking to stop by one of the county this month. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Having just come from PA where I asked the Sheriff's office face to face:

Paraphrase - "PA's law changed, and we still honor other states concealed carry permits, but only if you maintain a residence in the state that issues it to you. However, if you have the NY permit you walk-in,fill out the application, pay $20, and walk-out with the PA permit process.... takes 10 minutes."

“If'n I was sposed to shoot one gun how's come I got me two trigger fingers!”

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Anyone know which northern boarder counties in PA will issue ?

can anyone answer this question, I have a day off and would like to get something I'll need for a trip to KY.....though they honor NY permits there....just the states in between that are the issues (I have my FL and UT)

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by knailgun View Post
    can anyone answer this question, I have a day off and would like to get something I'll need for a trip to KY.....though they honor NY permits there....just the states in between that are the issues (I have my FL and UT)
    Scranton is worth the drive (Lackawanna County)

Potter County, McKean County, Centre County, Erie, York.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for: Well, pretty much everything!
    Handgun Combatives Certified Instructor
    USCCA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor
    Sig Master Handgun Instructor
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Private

I have a non-resident ccw issued directly from Pike County, PA.
    When I called to confirm the rumors regarding Utah reciprocity, I was told by the woman who issues the licenses that she isn't able to discuss reciprocity laws. Furthermore, I explained that my non-res permit was issued directly from her office. She explained that anyone who currently has a non-res ccw issued directly from PA will NOT be renewed upon expiration. Now I don't know if that's state wide or just by county. If you have one issued from Pike County, I'd suggest you call them directly. Again, she made it clear to me that they will not be renewing any NY non-res permits after they expire. No the laws guys, be safe!!!!

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinalny View Post
    No appt needed
    1 page application is on table in office. Need to provide 2 references w addresses and phone numbers
    They take your photo. You bring your NY drivers license and NY permit and $20 cash or Visa/MC
    Bring a few quarters for parking meter
    Do you know if you need an unrestricted permit in Scranton? Or is a restricted one OK?

Thanks!

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by knailgun View Post
    If you have FL and UT and NY, it looks like the only state you'd probably drive through that's not covered would be PA, right? Lock the gun in the trunk separate from the ammo and you can drive through PA no problem. Will you be stopping in PA and spending time there or just stops for gas/food? If just passing through, use the trunk if you can't get your permit in time.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by bogey View Post
    If you have FL and UT and NY, it looks like the only state you'd probably drive through that's not covered would be PA, right? Lock the gun in the trunk separate from the ammo and you can drive through PA no problem. Will you be stopping in PA and spending time there or just stops for gas/food? If just passing through, use the trunk if you can't get your permit in time.
    Pennsylvania recognizes any state's firearm license for possession within a vehicle.
    No need to separate ammo and the firearm, no need to relocate the firearm to the trunk.
    In this circumstance of any state's firearm license… If, you are stopping in PA, open carry is permissible outside the vehicle. If you do not want to open carry, the firearm must remain in the vehicle.
    Pennsylvania's reciprocal agreements are only for concealed carry. Possession in a vehicle is specifically mentioned in the law, recognizing any state's license, as the exception for firearms "not" to be carried.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by nhops View Post
    Do you know if you need an unrestricted permit in Scranton? Or is a restricted one OK?

Thanks!
    I have seen some recent posts here that said it didn't matter in PA if your out of state permit was restricted. I believe I read that some folks who have a NY permit with restrictions have rec'd a PA non-res permit without any mention of restrictions. I have a full carry from Dutchess County so I'm not positive

Just read on us a carry.com that they changed/amended the law to allow reciprocity between Utah and Pennsylvania on 7/26/14.

The new written agreement only pertains to "resident" Utah license holders
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.--Thomas Jefferson

Captain

there is an asterisk* they take it away in the bottom fine print.

this is a pretty good site. to know for sure on any state you can visit each states web site and they do a pretty good job of whether you can carry.
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

currently there are a total of 22 states where your ny permit is valid. a Utah permit only covers 7 more.

It's a county by county issue, unfortunately. Some counties are refusing to issue or renew to NY permits while some will still follow PA laws on issuing nonresident permits...
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for: Well, pretty much everything!
    Handgun Combatives Certified Instructor
    USCCA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor
    Sig Master Handgun Instructor
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345