I'm sold... Time to get my USPSA membership. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I'm sold... Time to get my USPSA membership.

I planned on it...but I had to get back home after the range.
    I'm signed up for the steel challenge there next Sunday.

Where exactly are you aiming? The head A or the body A? I know it depends on the NS zones
    Last edited by MyRight; 05-14-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Sergeant

Body a zone for the most part, I did have a couple of misses today and a no shoot hit. I was jacked up and going a little too fast, usually shoot production and was pushing myself with my tactical sport in limited 10, which I have not shot a lot. Believe me practice and shooting matches will improve anyone's speed and accuracy. Gcl Wednesday night is a good place to get some practice in, don't have to be a member and its $5 to shoot 2 stages.
    Last edited by pmills; 05-14-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    NRA_LIFE
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

Too many damn guns for my own good.

I went and hung out a couple Wednesdays ago to get a feel for it. Never been there before.
    It was packed. It's definitely cool that they do that every week and that it's close. I'll be taking advantage of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pmills View Post
    Should have come out to the brooks match today. Rain held off mostly.

Here 2 videos of stages.

What kind of camera are you filming with?
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    What kind of camera are you filming with?
    Contour on a headband.
    NRA_LIFE
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

Too many damn guns for my own good.

Hey all,
    Dredging up this old thread. Sorry it's so long and boring, but I had a revelation today.

I only made it to 3 Steel Challenges this year. Basically just to learn\teach myself and my gun. I didn't shoot my foot and never got yelled at... so that's good. I love it. I didn't have the guts to do a USPSA match though, and there's more on that later.

I replaced the Mepro night sights with Dawson fiber optics which makes a world of difference... especially outside. But I've been struggling for months with my eyesight and how to get some type of glasses that will let me focus on the front sight clearly.

Unknowingly I thought I could try to match the bottom portion of my bifocals with cheap 'readers' from the supermarket because I can see the front sight great if I tilt my head to the sun. I used the prescription specs for my glasses and STILL could not find anything that let me focus at arms length. The lowest you can buy off the rack is a +1.00. No good.
    I saw cheap Elvex safety glasses on Amazon that went down to +.50 which is what my prescription says. Still blurry. I would love to buy a complete kit from SSP Eyewear because they make a top-focal safety glass kit. But they only go down to +1.00. Little did I know I was pissing in the wind.

I had a special $350 pair of safety glasses made and paid for by work this summer. They're tri-focals. Basically they match my eyeglasses but with a third lens area for seeing clearly at arms length in the center of the lens. I told them I shoot competitively, so they made the lenses with a 7mm wide area in the center that actually works for shooting!
    Or so I thought... that 7mm "slot" is so narrow I find it very difficult to acquire a sight picture. If I take my time, focus at that area of the glasses, I can see the front sight great. But it just won't work for speed shooting.

So I went back to Visionworks today and explained all this to them...
    Turns out I've been fighting at trying to find a prescription for shooting that doesn't take my astigmatism into account. I never gave the astigmatism a thought. The answer to all this is that I have to have special glasses made for shooting that take this into account and I'll be all set. If it wasn't just Christmas this month, I'd have had them whip up a pair of safety glasses with nothing but the arm-length lens in them.

Once I have a proper pair of shooting safety glasses made, I WILL be attending some USPSA matches. Can't wait to finally SEE the front sight clearly.

Corporal

Hey all, I just recently got my pistol permit a couple months ago now and I am becoming increasingly interested in shooting USPSA or Steel challenge to both have fun and increase my skill set. I have a couple of questions regarding both however. My first is, I was wondering if Steel Challenge is associated with USPSA and how the memberships work, if they are separate or coincide? And my second question is in regards to the type of entry level handgun and gear that would be recommended for both, looking to spend $800 or less on the gun and minimal gear. I would be looking to purchase one for myself or I could also possibly use my father's Sig p229 if he obliges until I find a gun for myself. I also want to note that I wouldn't mind having a pistol that could be used for both competition and carry since I am not looking to be going to the leaderboards here just for fun. Thanks in advance!

Yes, Steel (SCSA) is now associated with The USPSA. Go to www.uspsa.org and Steel Challenge is the first menu tab. The membership to USPSA includes SCSA.

Shooting competition will only help your skill set if you practice the basics beforehand. Safe gun handling, drawing from a holster, reholstering, magazine changes or cylinder reloading, etc. I'll make the same recommendation everyone gave me before I started... do a Steel Challenge first. There's no movement like a match where you run around barricades and up and down paths. It's just you and the plates. Don't even think about being fast... just concentrate on gun handling, holstering safely, magazine changes, etc. Steel is great because you really don't have to worry about mag changes except between strings. Unless of course you shoot all 10 rounds and still haven't hit anything! LOL
    Practice safe dry fire at home first... Goolge Dry Fire Practice and find some tips.

Just take your time, draw smoothly, aim... THEN shoot. As far as what pistol to start with, I can't say. I would recommend something with a 4.5-5" barrel. The longer sight radius will help tremendously.

Good luck.
    682SuperSport likes this.

Corporal

After watching some youtube videos on the rules and procedures of each of the games I am definitely going to heed your advice and do a steel challenge first. I also appreciate your post on the WNY Shooting calendar as I am going to aim to shoot at the April match at Rochester Brooks and maybe just watch a USPSA match first before I enter myself!

That's what me and a buddy did. Watched a match, bought some of the gear I'd need, then did some Steel's at Brooks. I plan to be at the first Steel for sure. But I'm a fair weather kind of guy...if it's cold or wet I won't bother.

Corporal

Whats the best time to show up at Rochester Brooks for their Steel Challenge matches if you haven't pre-registered? I'll be heading to the match tomorrow, don't know if I should be there right at 8am or closer to 10am when it actually starts.

The earlier the better. Beth squads as people arrive, and things kick off right at 10. Let me look at PracticeScore and see how many spots are still open.

Looks like there's 3 spots still open but I don't know if that matters. I'd still show up early anyway.

Corporal

Sounds good thanks, hopefully they'll have room for me. Wasn't sure how to pre-register but the site said it wasn't necessary so maybe I'll be ok.

Private

Hey, I have a question. I just watched my first steel challenge this past weekend and really liked it. I am looking at joining USPSA and want to start with steel challenge. I think that is good advice. The problem is that I need to take a safety course of some kind in order to participate. I am near Albany does anyone know where I can get the course and get started?

Thanks, Rick

Corporal

My understanding is that some clubs require you to get a safety course through them to shoot at their USPSA matches, that's at least how it is here in Buffalo. Usually a club has a safety officer that is in charge of conducting the course, so I would contact the club that you wish to shoot at and see what exactly their policy is in that regard.

Corporal

Does anyone know if GCL takes walk-ons for their USPSA matches? I looked for this upcoming match on Saturday on Practiscore but couldn't find it and would like to go.

Good question...only the We'd. night practices are shown. Have to give them a call.

Talked to Beth...it's listed under tonight's match.

Corporal

Awesome thanks for the heads up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12