I'm sold... Time to get my USPSA membership.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I'm sold... Time to get my USPSA membership.

Default I'm sold... Time to get my USPSA membership.

A buddy and I spent the day at our first USPSA match at Rochester Brooks club today, just as spectators.
    I'm seriously gearing up to compete as soon as I get my membership number. I've never been to a match before so we were there to just poke around and talk to the competitors. I'm sold.
    One more mag pouch and I'm all set...but one thing I learned is most people do their own reloading. I totally understand why, but I guess it's something I'll have to think about in the future. I know the resources needed to reload will pay for themselves sooner or later, but the initial cost is prohibitive for the foreseeable future for me.

We brought our gear but didn't shoot. I would have stepped up in a heartbeat had they asked us. But we got there in the middle of everything so it wouldn't have worked out. Man it looks like fun. Laid back, friendly and well organised. The stages weren't all complicated and tricky...maybe by design. It was wet and freezing out there.
    Looking forward to it SOON.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Les

I'll bet Jeff was there. He shoots a lot of USPSA Limited 10.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - SAF Member
    ==="Safety is something that happens between your ears, not in your hands" - Col. Jeff Cooper ===

There were 55 shooters. Lots of Limited 10

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Given where you are from, you will have 2 sanctioned USPSA matches a month that you can easily shoot -- Rochester Brooks and Genesee Conservation League.

Also, GCL has a USPSA "style" 2 stage match on their indoor range on Wednesday evenings. Same rules and targets, $5 entry fee. A friend used to call this the primordial pool (where IPSC shooting life begins). All pretty much the same gang of guys.

Keep your eyes & ears open, pay close attention to the Range Officers, don't be shy to ask questions, and you will learn a lot and have a lot of fun.

Oh, you don't have to be a USPSA member to shoot the sanctioned matches but since it only takes a few minutes online to join - go for it.
    I'm the first responder.

Thanks Tapper.
    Yeah, already have the schedules for both locations, and I'm very close to GCL. I'm not sure I'll check out GCL though, but never say never.
    There was a few shooters from there at the match today.

We didn't even have to ask any questions today...shooters would just walk up to us and start talking. It was very cool.
    I was surprised to see some Production folks running plain old Kydex carry holsters. I'm planning to get a Comp-Tac International but I guess my cheapy Kydex rig will work for now.

As far as the membership goes, one shooter who offered to take our contact info and forward all the updated info to us, and must work there, asked if we had our USPSA numbers already...making it sound like we'd need them.

And I wouldn't mind getting into 3-gun there also. I have everything I need except a million dollars worth of ammo.
    Last edited by MyRight; 03-26-2016 at 08:35 PM.

PM sent, MyRight
    I'm the first responder.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by MyRight View Post
    but one thing I learned is most people do their own reloading. I totally understand why, but I guess it's something I'll have to think about in the future. I know the resources needed to reload will pay for themselves sooner or later,.
    HA!! That's funny! I've been reloading for years and waited and waited for for all the savings to start adding up. So I figured if I cast my own I'll save even more!
    HA ,
    Actually I do save per round but I shoot A LOT MORE ( not a problem) but there's always more to buy! Kinda like that Lyman mould I bought for a 32-20 to cast ultra-light bullets for a 30-30, now I want to get a rifle and pistol in that fun little caliber. See what kinda problem your steppin into?

LOL
    Yep... You betcha. Maybe I can share the parts and labor with a buddy.

i always tell people, if they are going to show up to a match just bring the gun and enter. once they are there and see how easy/fun it is they will thank me.

check out 3 gun next.

go to Pa and shoot some american matches too....

you may as well get into reloading now. you can get into a nice dillon machine for under 400$. migt as well start at the beginingh or teh costs will only rise....ie: if you buy 2000 rounds of ammo then you have lost that $$$$ you spent on the ammo.....now you have tp come up with the reloading money AND the ammo money....

Thanks.
    Yeah, I'm considering g 3-gun. We'll see how this year goes.

I wasn't there.

You can shoot level 1 (club matches) without a USPSA membership. No need to wait for that.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Guy View Post
    i always tell people, if they are going to show up to a match just bring the gun and enter. once they are there and see how easy/fun it is they will thank me.
    I literally had this exact same conversation with someone who wants to come "watch" an event.

I didnt think you had to be a member of USPSA to shoot at any Matches. Is it just if you want to be ranked?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I assume that's why we were asked if we had numbers on Saturday. She probably just wanted to know so she could use it in the future for us when we start shooting. I made sure I brought all my gear just in case.
    And it's also why I posted that thread about eye pro...I was afraid I'd be booted for just wearing prescription glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by seefour View Post
    I literally had this exact same conversation with someone who wants to come "watch" an event.

I didnt think you had to be a member of USPSA to shoot at any Matches. Is it just if you want to be ranked?
    You have to be a member to shoot a level 2 or higher match. Not a club (level 1) match. You also need to be a member for the classifiers to count for your classification.

Went ahead and got a membership anyway. What's $25\yr.?
    On the off-chance I do well, I want to be able to move around.

There is a match with 5 classifiers in Cortland on sunday. Get your initial classification in one day.

Good idea...but it's a haul.

2 hours or so. There were a few people from Rochester there.

If I'd known about it sooner, maybe. But thanks. I'll have to keep my eyes open for more matches like that. I'm just starting out so being classified isn't really a priority right now.
    Ran my first steel challenge Saturday...fun! Can't wait to see how I do on paper matches.

Quote Originally Posted by MyRight View Post
    If I'd known about it sooner, maybe. But thanks. I'll have to keep my eyes open for more matches like that. I'm just starting out so being classified isn't really a priority right now.
    Ran my first steel challenge Saturday...fun! Can't wait to see how I do on paper matches.
    All classifier match July 10th in Tonawanda. Not sure of stages. Usually about 6.

That might be possible. I should have some more experience under my belt.
    I see the dates for all the matches in Tonawanda on my calendar. Might drag a buddy I haven't seen in a long time who lives there to a match.

If he's never shot USPSA make sure to ask the match director what he needs to do to shoot. There is probably an orientation. They have a facebook group you can ask in. It's the WNYPPL or Western New York Practical Pistol League facebook page.

I'm already a member of that page. Thanks

So I drug the boy out of bed this rainy morning and grabbed the AR and my VP9 and headed to an indoor range.
    Because I'm just getting into local level Production division USPSA and Steel shooting I need the practice, and I wanted to try a couple things...

This was all done with brass Federal Champion 115g... on sale at Wally World.

Basically I wanted to see how badly I shoot it by aiming and firing at the different targets as if I'm in a match... two shots, move to different target, two shots... etc. Because of the printed size of the target zones, I simulated match target distances as best I could. I put them all at 10 yards... then a couple at 7 yards.
    The targets are all printed on 11x17" copy paper.

Again, my eyesight and the Tru-Glo's made it super difficult indoors. Sighting and re-acquiring is easier outdoors with tritium sights but they're still grey blobs even then. I say eyesight because with bifocals I have to literally tilt my head to the ceiling to get a perfectly clear view of the front sight. Doesn't work obviously. So I winged it.

I think I started off with both eyes open... then quickly realized it was a lot easier with my right eye closed. I'm a right-handed shooter, but my strong eye is my left. I've always shot that way... it's natural. Outdoors and with brighter sights, I can keep both eyes open. The black irons on an M16 and my AR are invisible unless I close my right eye. I really need some glass on that thing!

I'll try to remember what I was attempting on each target. Some of these show different attempts on the same target.
    Like I said, I was pretending I was in a match, but I wasn't concentrating on speed at all...I'm not fast. I DO tend to rush myself sometimes and it showed at my first Steel Challenge, so I slowed down and concentrated on the front sight and the center of each hit zone. But I still moved as fast as acquiring the front sight would let me.
    10yrds-1.jpg
    I'm horrible obviously. On this first set, I was trying to do 2 shots to the head, 2 shots to the center torso, and back again until the mag was empty. I've got fliers all over the place. I imagine on a regulation USPSA target I'd still score. Some of the fliers are because I went as fast as I could without "seeing" the front sight first.

10yrds-2.jpg
    This second set was basically the same thing... 10 yards, two shots per star. Remember they're on 11x17" paper, so they're about 3" each. I can see that when I transition to a different star that I've got the front sight lined up for the first shot, hit the star, then the second shot if in space. Still a score I would think.

10yrds-3.jpg
    This target was TOUGH to see at 10 yards! I could barely make out the difference between a bullet hole and the center black dot. I tried it anyway, same procedure. I can't remember but I may have been shooting these first two or three targets with both eyes open. I realized it wasn't working and closed my right eye.
    I was going at a moderate pace...maybe too fast for my skill level and the barely visible hit zones.

10yrds-4.jpg
    On this target that I purposely stopped "match shooting" and just concentrated on slowly aiming and re-acquiring the front sight. It's obvious the fliers came in closer. I don't remember how many shots I took at each zone before changing.
    (I was sharing the lane with my son and the AR)

10yrds-5.jpg
    This one looks like 1 magazine, two shots at each of the two top left zones.
    Crappy as hell. But might just be a decent match score.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/HwyS...rds-6.jpg.html
    I believe this was a moderate speed magazine into one zone at 10 yards. I'm not seeing the front sight obviously.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/HwyS...rds-7.jpg.html
    This was multiple magazines. I shot 10 rounds at the head, then 10 at the center mass zone at 10 yards. I could tell almost immediately that when I'm not "seeing" the front sight and firing anyway, that I'm not waiting for it to come back into view between the rear sight dots. I'm anticipating it being there and just pulling the trigger. I get impatient with my eyesight and the grey blob MEPS and just shoot.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/HwyS...5yrds.jpg.html
    This was 10 head-shots with the AR, kind of supported, at 25 yards thru irons. I had it sighted dead-nuts on for 25 yards a while back, but the MBUS rear sight must have shifted.

So I've got a lot of practice to do. But I need to be doing it outdoors. I think I'm fighting too many negatives doing this indoors with MEPS. But that'll soon change because they're being swapped for Dawson FO's.

I've never had one single issue, anomaly, hiccup or anything with any ammo, the 10-round magazines (I have 5) or the gun itself. Today was no different. I have half a case of 124g from USAC coming...hopefully it was money well spent.

That Federal stuff shoots pretty damn cleanly which is nice come gun cleaning time. Very little to no brass specks on the slide, and a very light dusting of carbon anywhere. But I keep it dry as a bone anyway except for the slide contact points, recoil spring\guide rod and barrel. I think the design of the VP has a lot to do with it also.
    I don't get any rub marks on my hands or fingers... it just fills my hand and stays put.
    I know this isn't related, but I'm not impressed with the Comp-Tac International I just got. The slide and\or frame catch on all the curves and angles of the opening trying to re-holster. I have to look carefully and guide the VP9 in slowly to have a smooth holster. Good thing it was on sale!

Critique at will... any and all suggestions, tips\techniques or observations are welcome. I'm signing up for all the local matches that I feel comfortable shooting this Summer. It should be a blast.
    Last edited by MyRight; 05-14-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Sergeant

Should have come out to the brooks match today. Rain held off mostly.

Here 2 videos of stages.

NRA_LIFE
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

Too many damn guns for my own good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast