Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Twogunwilly
  • 1 Post By Saltwater60
  • 1 Post By Cave Spectre

Thread: Travelling to NY (and NYC) for competition

Private

Default Travelling to NY (and NYC) for competition

I am new to the forum, and new to the area. Coming from Florida, the morass of New Jersey gun laws has been difficult enough. I am now trying to research the relevant gun laws for New York, as they pertain to travelling as a New Jersey resident into New York for competitive shooting.

The closest USPSA event to my home is in Staten Island, which I just realized is actually New York City, rather than New York State, and there is even more to look into.

My question at this point is: Is it even possible to complete in NYC as a non-resident?

(I apologize if the information is here somewhere. I haven't had much luck searching)

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Captain

good luck..

everyone seems to have their own opinions of the laws (Cops and Judges included)..

so while the actual words may read one way.. there is no guarantee that someone who could put you in jail will agree with that interpretation..

Sorry im no help..

You can't even touch a pistol in newyorkistan without a permit here. Shoot & spend your money in a friendlier state.
    Last edited by Twogunwilly; 03-21-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    Trauma47645 likes this.
    Safety first, never last
    Have a future, not a past.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

NYC is such a joke. I have a NYS pistol permit and I can not bring my gun to NYC because my permit is not valid in NYC. Yes you heard me right. My NYS permit is not valid in NYC. I have to get written permission from the police commissioner to bring my gun. I have a better chance of winning the lottery. Do not come to NYS and especially NYC. It's a joke here
    Trauma47645 likes this.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Trauma47645 View Post
    so while the actual words may read one way.. there is no guarantee that someone who could put you in jail will agree with that interpretation..
    I try not to concern myself with arrest; that can happen regardless of how well you interpret the law; for that exact reason... I accept that it is not the time or place to debate a law officer's interpretation of the law while they are trying to do their job.

I did receive a great reply to an email from the NY State Police, however I do need to research the NYC thing quite a bit more to understand what the basis of the differences (if any) between NYS and NYC.

I am planning on preparing a "receipt form", of sorts; requesting signature and badge number acknowledging the officer was presented with items that the law states are necessary. Do I stand a chance of having them sign/initial it? Not likely, but hopefully the issue won't even come up.

Section 265.20 (a) (13) makes provisions for this. The text of this sub-section is as follows:

“Possession by a person who is a non-resident of this state while attending or traveling to or from, an organized competitive pistol match or league competition under auspices of, or approved by, the National Rifle Association and in which he is a competitor, within 48 hours of such event or by a person who is a non-resident of the state while attending or traveling to or from an organized match sanctioned by the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association and in which he is a competitor, within 48 hours of such event, provided that he has not been previously convicted of a felony or a crime which, if committed in New York, would constitute a felony, and further provided that the firearms are transported unloaded in a locked non-transparent container together with a copy of the match program, match schedule or match registration card, and such person also has in his possession a pistol license or firearms registration card issued in accordance with the laws of his place of residence.”

As applied, this exemption allows for the possession of firearms (in this case the term includes pistols/handguns and assault weapons) by any person in any state, when this person can lawfully possess firearms both where their trip originates and at its ultimate destination, as long as the weapon is packaged and transported in the manner prescribed by this sub-section, and the he or she is able to produce the proper documentation prescribed in this sub-section.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Twogunwilly View Post
    You can't even touch a pistol in newyorkistan without a permit here. Shoot & spend your money in a friendlier state.
    That became much less of an option when I packed my belongings and moved to NJ I know there are some events in PA and that of course is a much much friendlier state. However I would definitely like the option to be able to go the city for matches there, especially given my limited time availability and how close it is to my house.

Given my NJ drivers license and my Florida plates, I do worry that I will be inviting trouble pulling out of a range on my way home.

Thank you everyone for their replies.
    Trauma47645 likes this.

Private

Have you contacted the event organizer?

I'm sure you are not the only person coming from out of state.

They probably know exactly what you should do.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by deeuubee View Post
    Have you contacted the event organizer?

I'm sure you are not the only person coming from out of state.

They probably know exactly what you should do.
    Given it's only a couple miles over the border, I would assume that there are others. The club's website is down currently so there's no contact info there. I emailed the contact point on the USPSA website, but they only told me to check with the NYC police. I'm leaning towards going to watch and ask questions.

Sergeant

there's good club in LI doing USPSA matches , which is not NYC. Regardless NYC laws , federal laws are superior to them and I'm pretty sure that you're OK as long as it's sanctioned match and you follow magazine capacity laws and don't stay overnight
    I went thru same crap , first time I went to shoot in MA