New to USPSA and Seeking Advice
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4 paws
  • 1 Post By taat2d

Thread: New to USPSA and Seeking Advice

Private

Default New to USPSA and Seeking Advice

I shot my first match last month and I had an absolute blast. For a first timer, I did not shoot poorly! For those who have experience with competitive shooting, what drills do you like to do at home while dry firing? Do you use any aids such as Mantis or one of the many laser based tools out there?

In addition, when you practice with live rounds, where do you practice? I'm in the People's Republic of Westchester so I'm pretty limited in terms of where I can shoot, let alone not behind a bench of some sort. Is joining a fish and game club highly recommended since that would enable accessing a private range? I love competitive shooting and I want to take this as far as I can. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance all!

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

Join your local USPSA club. Most clubs will have a designated day of the week they practice, setting up some different courses and helping you improve as you become more comfortable in the sport. In addition, see if any local ranges host a practical shoot, again more experience for you. Also, see if anyone in your area hosts a steel challenge match. These are super fun, build speed, and can even be done using rimfire to save you some $$.
    emkay44 likes this.

Private

Get a shot timer. Work with it dry firing if you don’t already. Come down to Staten Island. Two clubs here and we have a match at each every month. We get really good turn outs.
    emkay44 likes this.
    -Joe

Sergeant

Move to Putnam , I have nice house for you (just finishing it) and there's plenty of clubs and public land to shoot 🙂