Really want to Build/Buy a 9mm Race Gun! Any thoughts guys?
Close

Default Really want to Build/Buy a 9mm Race Gun! Any thoughts guys?

Looking to buy or build a 9mm race gun.
    I want something I can shoot Steel, IPSC, USPSA with.
    Been a XD guy for a while, never cared for glocks.

Am considering G17 or an XD9 for a 9mm build
    Any thoughts guys?!?

Anybody have a 9mm Race Gun For Sale

Or want to trade a Glock17 for my loaded XD40SC?

Thx
    Last edited by Chris Reibert; 08-18-2011 at 01:39 PM.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

what fly's in USPSA will not fly in IDPA, you need to study the classes and rules to see if you can find a class that will cross over. Production in USPSA will cross over into some IDPA classes, but it will be FAR from a race gun.

If you want a race gun start with a factory built gun that specializes in this type of shooting.

G34 or 35
    M&P 9l or 9pro
    Shadow
    or 1911 set up

Here is a local guy that builds real race guns.

https://www.velocityshooter.com/16-b...custom-pistols
    Last edited by bpipe95; 08-16-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

If you're going open get a single action in a caliber that makes major power factor. I don't think 9mm does.

Is a race gun even ok for idpa?
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    If you're going open get a single action in a caliber that makes major power factor. I don't think 9mm does.

Is a race gun even ok for idpa?
    You can make major with a 9mm in open, you heed to puch a 124 graing bullet at 1350 fps, I know a few guys who do it. Build off a 2011 platform, the guys i know with them have SVI's, Dan Beddell can probably build you one also

I'm gonna go shoot IPSC tomorrow night at GCL to get my questions answered.

Captain

I can't say most but a lot of USPSA shooters have gone to 9mm. Dan bedell can deff build you one. I am personal friends with Dan and have shot his own 9mm race gun and can say without a doubt it is Incredible!! If you have the cash he can make it rain

BANNED

Chris,

I know that you have recently gotten your pistol permit from reading previous posts on here from you. Why the interest in a race gun? I have been shooting IPSC style shooting for a little over a year now. I started with a G23 for a few months, but I use my G19 for every shoot--including steel. If you read the history on IDPA & IPSC, you will see that IPSC was created for the defensive pistol training, but over time, it got more competitive and "race" guns were being used. Jeff Cooper was the first president of IPSC and he widely criticized how IPSC became this competitive sport. Read the article below for some good history.

Modern Technique of the Pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are going to carry every day, why not shoot and use the gun you will carry most of the time? That is why I choose to shoot the G19 at every competition. I know some guys have race guns and they love having the race gun and perfecting their scores. Personally, I would rather shoot/practice with my everyday carry pistol and become excellent with it. It's great practicing reloads, moving, taking cover, running, etc with the pistol I carry every day. I prefer to shoot IPSC this way & I really believe that individuals that are new to pistols should shoot it this way to fully get comfotable with their pistol.

Now, I have nothing against IDPA, but I don't like the fact that you have to join IDPA in order to shoot matches (I believe that the first couple of matches you can shoot at, but after that, you have to join IDPA in order to keep shooting them--I am talking about matches, not the Tuesday night shoots at GCL).

With IPSC, you don't have to join USPSA, but you can pretty much shoot at any match (as long as you pay the entry fee) and there are stages where you shoot from cover (side of a wall, under a wall, through a hole in the wall, etc). I don't really understand why IDPA fanatics say this about IPSC, you do have stages where you shoot from cover in IPSC.

I would say use your daily gun and get very proficient with it. Also, I think you will find the IPSC guys a great bunch of guys as well--very helpful & very knowledgable.

I carry my PF9 daily, to small and double action only so wouldn't be good for USPSA or Steel.
    I like the racey scoped gun look! That's how I built my Ruger 22.
    I really enjoyed the fast paced get reddot on target and shoot like the steel match I shot!
    I will prob start with a G17 with a c-more and go from there.
    I am looking for a fun hooby, not to beat other guys.
    Prefer a race gun so I can play in multiple shoots.

I'm gonna shoot my 40 tonight in IPSC at GCL and go from there.
    I still practice draw, dry fire, and range time with my CCW at least once a week

I know everybody has their own thoughts and views but ideally it comes down to what I feel comfortable with.
    Should def have a better feel for it after tonight and answer some of my questions

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Reibert View Post
    I carry my PF9 daily, to small and double action only so wouldn't be good for USPSA or Steel.
    I like the racey scoped gun look! That's how I built my Ruger 22.
    I really enjoyed the fast paced get reddot on target and shoot like the steel match I shot!
    I will prob start with a G17 with a c-more and go from there.
    I am looking for a fun hooby, not to beat other guys.
    Prefer a race gun so I can play in multiple shoots.

I'm gonna shoot my 40 tonight in IPSC at GCL and go from there.
    I still practice draw, dry fire, and range time with my CCW at least once a week

I know everybody has their own thoughts and views but ideally it comes down to what I feel comfortable with.
    Should def have a better feel for it after tonight and answer some of my questions
    To each their own. You won't know what you want after the first night. Your race gun won't have any bearing on multiple shoots. If your really into competing, then you keep you "race" .22 for steel plate challenge, then get a race gun for IPSC. IDPA is really built around defensive pistol shooting, I haven't really seen anyone use a race gun in IDPA personally.

To me, dry firing at home has no bearing on a real world scenario that involves moving around. ducking & reloading on the go. Your race gun isn't going to help you in that situation. Not trying to be a jerk, but trying to help you avoid wasting money & give you some solid advice. In the end, it's your money--do what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by cooden View Post
    and there are stages where you shoot from cover (side of a wall, under a wall, through a hole in the wall, etc). I don't really understand why IDPA fanatics say this about IPSC, you do have stages where you shoot from cover in IPSC.
    Probably because there is no penalty for improperly using the cover. I think in IDPA you can't expose more than half of your face. In IPSC it doesnt matter.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Tim

Really what it should come down to is try BOTH options (IPSC and IDPA) with your .40. See if you like one or the other, or both! If you prefer IDPA you won't need a race gun. If you prefer IPSC you might find that you enjoy shooting those matches more if you have a race gun. In end do what makes you happy, but I wouldn't go down the race gun route until you decide which way to go!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Probably because there is no penalty for improperly using the cover. I think in IDPA you can't expose more than half of your face. In IPSC it doesnt matter.
    Jeff, you are probably right. I don't know enough about IDPA to comment on the rules & regulations.

BANNED

Chris, we (WNYPPL.org) have our big section match this week, friday saturday and sunday, if you can come and watch and see if its right for you, there will be a lot of race guns. I'm shooting sunday at 1.

Rochester Personal Defense Rico's Avatar

If you want to build a Glock USPSA Race gun look at SJC Guns,
    SJC Guns (S&J Customs) - Custom Competition Guns

Start with a Glock 34.

You know Grady some people think Iím over prepared, paranoid, maybe a little crazy, but they never met any Precambrian life forms,,,,

Ya was on that site last night.
    Good site!

Guess I will shoot a few weeks of USPSA at GCL and see how I like it.

I don't care about IDPA, I just wanna shoot at GCL and other IPSC events
    Last edited by Chris Reibert; 08-17-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Chris -

If you decide to go the G34 route, check this out...

Custom Glock 34 9MM. Built by Glockworx : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Rochester Personal Defense Rico's Avatar

I built a Glock 35 with a J Point milled in by Bowie Tacticle Concepts, I stipled the grips, installed a barsto barrel, and tungston guide rod.
    Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page

Neil at Beikirchs can mill in an optic the same way if you want it done by someone local, ask to see his M&P.

Ian

You know Grady some people think Iím over prepared, paranoid, maybe a little crazy, but they never met any Precambrian life forms,,,,

So what did you find out last night?
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

These race guns with red dot sights or even some mag speed feed lips wont fit into the idpa box. They are used solely for ipsc.
    I enjoy manipulating mechanical devices which propel small lead projectiles through space at high velocity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bpipe95 View Post
    So what did you find out last night?
    B, he wrote his response back 2 posts above yours. He realized that when he got to the shoot, that you have to learn how to walk before you run.

BANNED

I will add another comment on this whole "race" gun thing---I am more impressed by the guy who can rip through a course with a stock handgun than I am with a race gun. I like watching any of these guys go ripping through a course with blazing speed and accuracy, but the guy that do it as fast with a stock gun definitely impresses me more.

Quote Originally Posted by cooden View Post
    B, he wrote his response back 2 posts above yours. He realized that when he got to the shoot, that you have to learn how to walk before you run.
    I never got to go shoot
    Family stuff came up and had to miss it last night, next week!

This thread has gotten off topic!
    I don't need people to tell me what or how to shoot.
    I wanted info about types of race guns and where to start and what brands or guns stand out

I plan to shoot steel and ipsc type matches for a fun recreational hobby.
    I want the whole adrenline pumping speed shooting IPSC has to offer.
    I shoot my carry gun at least once a week doing live fire, from concealed, and on the move drills.

I don't care for IDPA, all I want is info on types of race guns and who has fired them.
    Got a lot of good info guys thanks.
    Last edited by Chris Reibert; 08-18-2011 at 07:29 PM.