GCL Wednesday night IPSC
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tim

Default GCL Wednesday night IPSC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgNdyXPvD2E&feature=g-all-u&context=G25c740aFAAAAAAAAAAA

Just a video from last nights GCL shoot. I am usually there every other wednesday with the brother in law (we're using his GoPro camera). ANOTHER brother in law is in town on leave from the Marines so we took him with us.

We had a friend too so there were four of us. Was a good time. I totally failed at one stage (100% mental on my part - ended up as one of the worst on the stage) and did well on the stage that is shown here (i start around the 1:55 mark).

I plan on starting in on the RDPA on Tuesday nights and if Dave and company are OK with it, I'll be borrowing the camera for that too.
    http://www.facebook.com/nyfirearms

NRA member, SCOPE NY member, NYSRPA member

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Captain

Looks like a lot of fun.

Great video. I'm going to join you guys on a Wednesday night after the holidays. Never been before. Is there an orientation at a specific time?
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Great video. I'm going to join you guys on a Wednesday night after the holidays. Never been before. Is there an orientation at a specific time?
    I think there may be a small group of us starting to shoot wed nights.

I am trying to get george to go too, though he can be very surly and anti social... lol
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

BANNED

For any new guys going to shoot on Wednesday, you will only be able to shoot at 7, not 6. The 6pm shoot is always full with the same guys every week. They are the ones who basically set up the stages, so they are there very early to sign up for the following week.

Brad & Jeff, if you guys start going at 7, let me know, I'll start going again. Been so busy with work and other stuff, haven't been to a Wednesday night in at least 2 months.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Show up prior to 7pm. Theres not a HUGE orientation. Really all you'll get is someone just covering the basics with you. there's not a ton to it. Shoot stage fast/accurate. They explain the two stages to everybody before hand. It's pretty straightforward.

I'll be back there in a few weeks I think (probably won't shoot next Weds, but I *may*). I enjoy it quite a bit. For me its all about mentally working the stage out in your head and then shooting it in the most efficient manner possible.

Feel free to PM me with questions. You *can* shoot at 6pm if you want but as mentioned its SUPER busy and thats where all of the REAL good folks usually shoot. That can make it a bit offputting also. 7pm is a lot more laid back and the squads are usually smaller.

First night is free for folks who havent done it - otherwise its 5 bucks. Expect to go through 60-70 rounds (28-30 a stage for two stages and expect to have to shoot more than once at the occasional steel).

You'll want 4 mags and a OWB holster is best. Beyond that there's no real restrictions and if you really wanted they wouldn't complain about you shooting .22 even (however it'd be tough to knock down the steel and even seeing the holes for scoring).

Quote Originally Posted by cooden View Post
    For any new guys going to shoot on Wednesday, you will only be able to shoot at 7, not 6. The 6pm shoot is always full with the same guys every week. They are the ones who basically set up the stages, so they are there very early to sign up for the following week.

Brad & Jeff, if you guys start going at 7, let me know, I'll start going again. Been so busy with work and other stuff, haven't been to a Wednesday night in at least 2 months.
    6 is too early for me anyway.

Thanks for the info guys.

Corporal

I'm ok with shooting late. I've been meaning to get back into it. Sounds like a great new years resolution. :-)

Tim

Shall we create a "who's going" thread so we can keep up with each other?

I'm sure I suck a lot compared to you guys, but I'd still be down to come hang / shoot w/ you guys, couple of questions:

Do you have to be a GCL member?

Do I have to have an OWB? Can I wear my IWB & just tuck my shirt in? (lol)

Nice video. Those dam plates like heavy rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tmyoungjr View Post
    Shall we create a "who's going" thread so we can keep up with each other?
    Wed January 4th?

I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt BIG flash's Avatar

man, this looks like fun. think I will have to check it out for realz

Corporal

I am pretty sure I can make it. So refresh my memory.
    I'm leaning towards my stock 1911.
    I have my OWB and IWB holster.
    I have 4 8 round magazines and mag holsters.
    Usual safety stuff, hearing protector, eye protection.
    What else do I need?

you will be in single stack with that set up and you might want several more mags.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    I am pretty sure I can make it. So refresh my memory.
    I'm leaning towards my stock 1911.
    I have my OWB and IWB holster.
    I have 4 8 round magazines and mag holsters.
    Usual safety stuff, hearing protector, eye protection.
    What else do I need?
    You'll only need your OWB holster, your 4 mags will most likely be *just* enough - the stages usually are setup for 28-32 round max and if you have ANY misses you'll be in trouble. Get one more.

Nothing else beyond the standard eye/ear protection.

I'm sure I suck a lot compared to you guys, but I'd still be down to come hang / shoot w/ you guys, couple of questions:

Do you have to be a GCL member?

Do I have to have an OWB? Can I wear my IWB & just tuck my shirt in? (lol)
    You don't need to be a GCL member. Technically you should have a OWB however i've seen IWBs there - they're pretty lenient.

Wed January 4th?
    Done - Jan 4th. Show up between 630-645. When it gets a bit closer we can get a better idea of how many

You'll only need your OWB holster, your 4 mags will most likely be *just* enough - the stages usually are setup for 28-32 round max and if you have ANY misses you'll be in trouble. Get one more.
    So my glock w/ a 15rd pre ban and 3 10rds should be enough... but uh... Can I run my 31/33 preban just the same? *snky* *snky*

Corporal

I guess I should try to pick up some ten round mags and test them out before the match.
    I've heard good things about chip mcormack mags, I'll check on pricing.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet98 View Post
    So my glock w/ a 15rd pre ban and 3 10rds should be enough... but uh... Can I run my 31/33 preban just the same? *snky* *snky*
    Yes actually. You'll see guys with raceguns running 30 rounders there. it's almost unfair - they need 1 reload tops - most of the times they dont though and just breeze through!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    I guess I should try to pick up some ten round mags and test them out before the match.
    I've heard good things about chip mcormack mags, I'll check on pricing.
    10s would make your life easier. or you could just grab another 8 and be perfectly fine too whatever floats your boat!

BANNED

Since I was shooting Wednesday nights for more than a year straight (as well as shooting in the IPSC matches), let me help out the guys that want to try it out:

1. If you are going for your first time, show up more around 6pm. You might have to wait around a little, but Tom Beck will need to talk to you.

2. Unless you show up at 5pm and help set up the stages, you'll never get in at 6pm. The sign up sheets for the following week are always filled out. They do this so that it only lasts an hour and the 7pm shoot starts on time (at least close to it). They don't care how many people shoot at 7pm because it is the last shoot of the night.

3. Whoever said that they tell you to shoot fast & accurate is full of poop. If anything, they tell you to shoot accurate first (even if that means going slow). Get your accuracy on point and the speed will follow.

4. You need ear & eye protection, OWB holster is preferred, OWB mag holsters, AT LEAST 4 10rd mags, 150-200 rounds ammo. I personally bring 10 mags & 200 rounds.

5. For guys shooting 1911, if your using 8rd mags, I would say bring 6 mags at least. I have personally used 10rd CMC mags and they worked great for me.

6. As the weather gets colder, so does the indoor range. It gets VERY COLD in there, so dress warm. As the weather gets worse, the attendance will drop at the 7pm shoot.

7. Be prepared to get addicted and spend tons of money on ammo & accessories!!

DON'T BE THE GUY THAT LEAVES THE RANGE AS SOON AS THE SHOOTING IS DONE!!!!

PLEASE HELP CLEAN UP & PUT AWAY ALL THE STUFF. THE MORE PEOPLE THAT HELP, THE EASIER & FASTER IT GETS DONE!

I am good with the 1/4/12 shoot. Brad, call or text me if you and Jeff want to go that night. Bring that maniac George with you too, but I don't know if he can handle the range safety, lol!

Sounds good John!

I guess I will be running the M&P in production until I get a new holster and mag holsters for the 34. I can't wait, I need to get as much practice as possible for this spring and summer.

Tim

Some comments and clarification as I've been shooting wednesday nights for almost the past year straight:

Firstly:
    DO NOT take yourself too seriously here. This is about fun and practice, you don't win any kind of award for doing well here other than the praise you feel like heaping on yourself. Don't stress either. Again no need.

Quote Originally Posted by cooden View Post
    1. If you are going for your first time, show up more around 6pm. You might have to wait around a little, but Tom Beck will need to talk to you.
    Not necessary at all. The last two times i was there this past month I've had new guys with me. We showed up at 6:45pm or so each time. You sign up - usually with Paul Roberts (he generally oversees the 7pm shoot - especially with Tom's hand being in a cast/bandage). At that point they just note your scoresheet that you're new and when you go out to shoot the RO thats in charge of your group goes over things with you and keeps a close eye.

3. Whoever said that they tell you to shoot fast & accurate is full of poop. If anything, they tell you to shoot accurate first (even if that means going slow). Get your accuracy on point and the speed will follow.
    Absolutely true - do NOT try to go fast - you'll lose more points on misses than you will on a slower speed.

4. You need ear & eye protection, OWB holster is preferred, OWB mag holsters, AT LEAST 4 10rd mags, 150-200 rounds ammo. I personally bring 10 mags & 200 rounds.
    100% major overkill. There are two stages on Wednesday night, no more. Both max out between 28 and 32 rounds (for a total of about 60 rounds). Unless you're a HORRID shot you'll need no more than 75-80 rounds for the night. Usually 4x 10 rd mags is MORE than sufficient (unless they have mandatory reloads, that can up the mag requirement to 5 or so. Most of what you're suggesting cooden applies more so to the actual IPSC Saturday shoots.

6. As the weather gets colder, so does the indoor range. It gets VERY COLD in there, so dress warm. As the weather gets worse, the attendance will drop at the 7pm shoot.
    In the prep area temps are fine. Out on the range it can be chilly. Fortunately by 7pm they've had the heaters out on the range for the better part of two hours so it's not usually horrible. Usually two layers is more than enough (a t-shirt with maybe a hoodie over it - just make sure you can reach your mag pouches and OWB no problem).

DON'T BE THE GUY THAT LEAVES THE RANGE AS SOON AS THE SHOOTING IS DONE!!!!
    ^ this a 100000x over. After someone shoots - everyone else heads out to the range to help clean up brass, reset steel targets, patch cardboard targets up. And when done for the night, we all stick around and tear the courses down entirely. It's amazing how quickly you can clean up two courses when you have 15-20 people working on it.

Lastly I'll be there on 1/4/12 for the 7pm shoot and I look forward to meeting some of you guys
    Last edited by Tim; 12-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.

BANNED

100% major overkill. There are two stages on Wednesday night, no more. Both max out between 28 and 32 rounds (for a total of about 60 rounds). Unless you're a HORRID shot you'll need no more than 75-80 rounds for the night. Usually 4x 10 rd mags is MORE than sufficient (unless they have mandatory reloads, that can up the mag requirement to 5 or so. Most of what you're suggesting cooden applies more so to the actual IPSC Saturday shoots.

How am I wrong on the mags & ammo needed? If you shoot 32 rounds, you need 4 mags. There are usually 4 sections with 4 targets--2 shots on each target)--this can sometimes be different, but 90% of the time, that is the stage--you reload for each section, hence 4 mags with 10rds. I just bring extra ammo because my bag holds it.

Also, 95% of the guys that shoot have 4 mags on mag holsters on their belts. My advice, bring 4 mags and some type of holsters to hold them.

I'm going to try and make it tomorrow.

I have tons of 8 round mags but only one holder for 2 mags. Will have to make due with that for my first night.

Will my Blackhawk Serpa holster work for my first night there? It's all I have for my 1911 which I want to shoot. Not really wanting to shoot my subcompact at this.

edit: the range was about 10 degrees tonight. ugh. Supposed to be a couple degrees warmer out tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast