Future of Competitive Shooting in New York, All Types - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Private

Quote Originally Posted by dantrap View Post
    I bet the Canadian shooters will stay in Canada now that they will have less restrictive rules than NYS.
    I don't even know if we can enter NY with a gun now. A friend at my club was going to shoot skeet over in Lewiston, he was told to leave his shotgun at home.

Sergeant

As long as you have the required Federal Paper work you can bring you guns to New York. It still works the same way as it did before the new law. There is always a group of Canadians shooting Sporting clay and Trap at Hamburg, several days a week.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by hoodfu View Post
    I see cowboy action matches becoming more popular. They just have to let go of the costume requirement.
    Cowboy action guns are still legal but almost everyone I know loads their own ammo. Looks like we are we are being shut down on out of state sales on compoments for reloading. This will make it too expensive to shoot if we have to buy locally.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    Cowboy action guns are still legal but almost everyone I know loads their own ammo. Looks like we are we are being shut down on out of state sales on compoments for reloading. This will make it too expensive to shoot if we have to buy locally.
    Friends in neighboring states can assist with component acquisition. Think outside the box.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject"

Private

I have a specific question that I wanted to post to Contact but it won't accept my Canadian address. I wanted to know if there was any exemption for target pistols with a so called assault weapon feature. I shoot two Walther GSP in .22 and .32 but the magazine attaches in front of the trigger. If someone here could find out for me. I want to attend the State Championships at Boston Valley.

Thanks
    Chilidawg

Looks like WNYPPL and GCL are carrying on for now. No more limited class (Limited 10 only) and open is being run with 10 round magazines.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Chilidawg View Post
    I have a specific question that I wanted to post to Contact but it won't accept my Canadian address. I wanted to know if there was any exemption for target pistols with a so called assault weapon feature. I shoot two Walther GSP in .22 and .32 but the magazine attaches in front of the trigger. If someone here could find out for me. I want to attend the State Championships at Boston Valley.

Thanks
    Chilidawg
    I'm not aware of exemptions but maybe if you owned it prior to the ban date you're OK for the next year. Your best bet is to contact your match director.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Looks like WNYPPL and GCL are carrying on for now. No more limited class (Limited 10 only) and open is being run with 10 round magazines.
    we're shooting L10, production and single stack. COuldnt shoot today, the fan motor frooze upm so we talked

Quote Originally Posted by Evild View Post
    we're shooting L10, production and single stack. COuldnt shoot today, the fan motor frooze upm so we talked
    No open? GCL is shooting open if people have blocked mags to 10 rounds.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    No open? GCL is shooting open if people have blocked mags to 10 rounds.
    no, might be a possibility, but kind of pointless. And I dont thnk anybody is going to midify their $100 STI mags. "official" meeting is sunday after the match.

-D-

Maybe practical will once again be practical.

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Maybe practical will once again be practical.

anything is fair in a gunfight.

I would much rather run into a thug with a 32acp than a USPSA open shooter.
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Camper4lyfe View Post
    That's the same position I'm in. I haven't been able to apply for my permit due to finances, and now I'm questioning if it's even worth it, since I can't buy a gun to go on it.
    Two points: I purchased a .22 pistol at the Albany Show last weekend, and the dealer is holding it. I am trying to purchase an additional mag, and am citing the law's Apr 15 sales deadline and the fact that 10 rounds can be loaded into 10-round mag at an incorporated range or sanctioned event; I hope they'll view it sensibly and sell me an extra mag.

As for finances, go ahead and get your paper work done, and you may as well schedule a filing date/fingerprinting NOW, because they are booking at least two months out everywhere. I am in Rensselaer County and was scheduled for Mar 12, yesterday, to hand in my application and money order for $124.25. Santa Claus might bring it to you just in time....
    Ray
    OCULUS
    Rensselaer

Captain

My club will continue to do matches similar to idpa with the 10 round mag limit. There will have to be a little more elegance in course design- more lower round count stages as opposed to the current format where a belt fed would be handy.
    i feel high power rifle will take a big bit as the ar 15 has become the gun for that sport and its light recoil and lower cost compared to match grade m1 and m1a's has a way of appealing more to young and female shooters . I am sure discouraging a number of shooting sports was part

Captain

I see some mention of reloading components - NOTHING in the law addresses components you can continue to buy reloading stuff as in the past unless a company policy stops ny shipments but that would NOT be part of the law

-D-

Quote Originally Posted by bpipe95 View Post
    anything is fair in a gunfight.

I would much rather run into a thug with a 32acp than a USPSA open shooter.
    How many open class shooters actually carry that competition weapon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12