IPSC/USPSA email about matches in New York
Close

BANNED

Default IPSC/USPSA email about matches in New York

Looks like we are still shooting this year!!! Here is an email I received from Tom Beck early this morning:

"Remember starting next week, no magazines that hold more the 10 rounds. We had a meeting with Bill Nojay Assemblyman from the 133rd districtTonight and according to the law, on page 24, 7F we can put 10 rounds in a magazine at the range. All magazines need to be permanently modified
    So the they can not hold more than 10 rounds. There will no longer be a Limited Division. That is the only Division we are losing."

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    BANNED

Similar from WNYPPL, NO LIMITED OR OPEN, BUT we will continue with production, l10, and single stack. 3 gun will probably suck

Tim

Correction - 3gun in NYS will suck.

However I saw that email too cooden and was very glad about to see it!
    http://www.facebook.com/nyfirearms

NRA member, SCOPE NY member, NYSRPA member

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Sergeant

3 gun with 10 round mags and 7 in the shotgun, i guess.

Sergeant

Have a look at the new governor site. You can use hi-caps for the next year as long as you only load 10 rounds while at a range,7 if outside one. Good stuff.

Gun Reforms 2013 Initiatives - Frequently Asked Questions | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo

Captain

Hood flu you are not correct- high caps even pre 1994 are now illegal and you have a year to get rid of them. Nothing in the law or FAQ as I read it allows for continued use and carry of high caps even with just 7 loaded. 10 rounders are the new high caps

Sergeant

You have a year to do away with them or limit their capacity to 10 rounds. Nothing in the law says you can't continue to use them. Please point to the language in there where it says you can possess them for a year but not use them.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

Look at place you linked too and you will see this question and answer.

Q: How many rounds can I put in my magazine today?

A: Ten. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting in seven rounds, unless you are at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association, in which case the limit is ten.

Looking to do some IDPA this summer with my son who is new to shooting. Are the matches in Rochester open to the public or just for members, to far to drive for daily shooting but would like to try IDPA some.

Sergeant

Open to public. You do not even have to belong to GCL or IDPA to try it out the first time..

I am about fed up with ny based USPSA and other competitive shooting groups. They have done nothing but lay down, no fighting no trying to work together nothing.

Ps I would love to see those open $150.00 0open mags perm pinned to 10 rounds.

Oh and USPSA is not an NRA event, if they really want to be sticklers they should be loading to 7, depending on the "range".
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for the match announcements and try to make some.

Quote Originally Posted by bpipe95 View Post
    I am about fed up with ny based USPSA and other competitive shooting groups. They have done nothing but lay down, no fighting no trying to work together nothing.

Ps I would love to see those open $150.00 0open mags perm pinned to 10 rounds.

Oh and USPSA is not an NRA event, if they really want to be sticklers they should be loading to 7, depending on the "range".

USPSA is a corporation and, under its corporate charter, it cannot engage in any sort of political activity. So the organization is precluded from taking any official stance. I'm sure individual members do take action on a personal level as they deem appropriate - ie. making calls, emailling, and so on.

You are correct, USPSA is not NRA affiliated. However, there is no requirement that shooting clubs be NRA affiliated to meet the "duly incorporated" language of the current - and former - laws.

As for the permanent pinning of $150 magazines - my god, where does this come from? Can't we all ju-just get along?

I'll tell you how to get along with competitive shooters - I've been one since 1989 so I might know a little bit about the subject. You ignore them. And I don't mean that in the way you might think.

I went to my first Bianchi Cup in 1992 with a guy who was teaching me the competitive ropes. He had finished in the top 10 the year before. As I walked off the Practical Event having thrown a couple of shots due to poor positioning, he was walking up to the range. I started to tell him how I had blown the event - and he held up his hand and stopped me. He said, "Let me tell you something. Nobody here gives a **** about how well you shoot - except you."

Some years later I went to the USPSA Limited Nationals in Fredricksburg, VA. I remember shooting one pretty complicated stage.......... ran it in 17 seconds and change........ walked off feeling like that was the best I could give it.......... I had no more. The next day I watched Todd Jarrett run it in 14 and change. I just shook my head and laughed.

What I am saying is you need to learn to shoot within yourself. Go to a match with the intention of shooting the best that you possibly can that day. If you do that then you are a winner, if you don't then you know what you have to work on. It doesn't matter where you finish in the overall results. It doesn't matter what the other guy does. It doesn't matter if he has $150 magazines and you don't.

Nothing matters but how you feel about your own performance.

And what others do or not do to fight this fight, as you say, does not matter either.

Does it?
    I'm the first responder.

You missed the point.

The sport is being ruined by politics, if they can't respond they better figure out a way to fix that.... People are not going to ruin $150mags instead they will sell thier gear take up another disipline and move on.

I fully understand the sport and the shooters, they are some of the best people I have met since getting involved in the business.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bpipe95 View Post

It has to be associated or recognized or some crap like that.

Private

USPSA actually made an announcement that they can't do anything on the matter because they are not for profit and the penalties would be severe.

USPSA Announcements - United States Practical Shooting Association

Private

We have all done some "creative" things to block our mags to 10 rounds.

Even the open guys.

Private

Hi Tapper, It was good reading your post. Sounds like you've been around for awhile. I mean, just to be invited to the Bianchi is quite an honor. I never knew anyone in this state was good enough to go, including a guy shooting in the top ten! How does one get started doing it? i didn't know anyone around who has a setup like that? Also, are you and your friend still shooting it? I would love to get involved, but don't where to get started. Thanks for the posts.

Sergeant

I'm here in Broome county and also thinking about trying competitive shooting this year. Advice is appreciated!

empty & audi - I'll pm you guys........... but I wasn't all that good, as I quickly learned - lol
    I'm the first responder.

Private

From Cuumo's FAQ's:
    Q: How many rounds can I put in my magazine?

A: While at a recognized range, whether you are there for recreation or for participating in shooting competitions, you may load the full ten rounds into any magazine you have. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting 7 rounds in the magazine in all other locations.

"...any magazine you have." That would seem to include any pre-ban magazine currently in your possession; blocked or not, until 1-15-14.

Quote Originally Posted by SX2GL35 View Post
    From Cuumo's FAQ's:....
    Be careful with that FAQ stuff. It doesn't always say the same thing that the law says.

Private

Section 46-a of the Penal Law was amended by providing a new Section 265.36, effective 60 days after 1-14-13, that outlaws legally possessed preban magazines that have "a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition." So, the FAQ, if read literally (how else?), is seemingly incorrect...

Right you are Kev74!