Shooting with Contact Lenses
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shooting with Contact Lenses

Any competitive target shooters use contact lenses? My job has me staring at a computer screen all day and my eyesight is deteriorating a little. I just got my prescription updated and would love to see if I can improve my scores with some sort of vision correction while shooting. Will contacts under safety glasses work? I would love to hear any pros and cons people know of.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I've shot high power, 3 gun, bullseye, etc with them for years. No biggie.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject"

I always liked wearing contacts while hunting. I realize it's different, but it was nice being able to look out of the corner of my eye and still be able to see, rather than essentially looking around my glasses.

I see no reason it wouldn't work for competitive shooting. It might also allow you to wear closer fitting shooting glasses that fit better, assuming you're wearing glasses over your glasses.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Agree with Camper - They should be fine for competition. No issues for me with my safety glasses when I remember to wear them.
    I have no choice but to wear contacts. I wouldn't be able to see the front site on any firearm if I didn't wear them.

Captain

Much more convenient than glasses - especially in conditions where fogging of traditional lenses can occur.

There is a theory that if vision correction shifts from shot to shot (recoil), it can alter your vision slightly and thus your sight picture. But supposedly it can happen with both contacts and glasses. Anyone that had glasses in boot had to put boot bands on their glasses during the range weeks to keep 'em tight on the face - gave ya a pounding headache by the end of the day. Pretty sure I wore contacts and qual'd Expert after boot so I don't know that it makes much difference.

Contact lenses give me no problems shooting with protective glasses on. You should be good to go.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

I don't shoot competitively but I would agree your better off with the contacts. With the contacts you don't have to worry about glasses sliding off face or even shifting. I believe with glasses there is a optimal point to look through them and if they shift it could throw off your aim a little.

All I know for sure though is I shoot better with contacts in, YMMV.

ETA: you can also look into seeing if you qualify for CRT (corneal refractive therapy?). Basically from what I have read is you wear a special contact lens at night while you sleep and it reshapes your cornea. When you wake up you take it out and see normal during day and you put it back in while you sleep.

I use contacts all the time under protective eye wear. No issues...no different than wearing sun glasses with contacts
    DIAPERS AND POLITICIANS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN, BOTH FOR THE SAME REASON

Quote Originally Posted by Camper4lyfe View Post
    I see no reason it wouldn't work for competitive shooting. It might also allow you to wear closer fitting shooting glasses that fit better, assuming you're wearing glasses over your glasses.
    I currently wear safety glasses and no corrective lenses for high power competition. Your responses have me optimistic that contacts could help me capture the service rifle championship this year at my club. Last month that top score was from a master level shooter that beat me by four points, and this past Saturday he beat me by 6 points. I'm close and looking to step up my game.

Colonel

I find I do almost everything better with contacts as opposed to glasses. Much more efficient.

Major

I shoot skeet competitively, and peripheral vision is a must. I simply couldn't shoot at the level that I do if I had to do it with my glasses on.

Sergeant

I have been wearing contact lenses for years and have never had any issues while wearing protective eye wear.
    NRA
    NYSPRA

Major

I've only ever shot with contacts. And I wear safety glasses all the time. No problems here.

Captain

I wear contact lenses everyday. When I am going to compete in target shooting I use another "fresh" set of contacts. Using a set that is not being used daily prevents the eyes from drying out, especially when using an indoor range.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    I wear contact lenses everyday. When I am going to compete in target shooting I use another "fresh" set of contacts. Using a set that is not being used daily prevents the eyes from drying out, especially when using an indoor range.
    I don't need any corrective lenses for most things. I have a pair of glasses for computer work (all day at my job) and reading. I explained the situation to my eye doctor and she suggested trying contacts. Since I will be using the contacts pretty much exclusively for shooting, she suggested that I get some daily disposable contacts. I'm assuming that would eliminate any concerns about them drying out?

I've always worn glasses. I tried contacts 20ish years ago and hated putting them in/out. Aftee reading this thread I might want to give them a try again - but - now I have bifocals. Does anyone have this problem that wears contacts for shooting?

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Gtnorry View Post
    I've always worn glasses. I tried contacts 20ish years ago and hated putting them in/out. Aftee reading this thread I might want to give them a try again - but - now I have bifocals. Does anyone have this problem that wears contacts for shooting?

I also need reading glasses when I wear my contacts. My regular glasses are progressives (bi-focals with no line).

Getting fitted for contacts this morning. I've told them that these will be exclusively for shooting. I hope they understand they need to be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
    Getting fitted for contacts this morning. I've told them that these will be exclusively for shooting. I hope they understand they need to be perfect.
    So how about a update? How are you doing with the contacts?

Major

Ive been shooting with contacts for about 31 years with no issue.I wear hard contacts and the only problem i have is they are very dust sensitive .If there is a speck of dust in the air,it will end up in my eye,other than that,good to go.
    "A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty."

CoC= Phelon

Quote Originally Posted by Gtnorry View Post
    So how about a update? How are you doing with the contacts?
    I'm really particular and probably over-analytical about how I see things. I'm pretty sure the eye doctor was getting sick of me by the end of the second appointment. I have an astigmatism so I'm wearing weighted contacts. If they shift a little off axis things get blurrier. I can notice a difference but I have no way of really being able to tell if my vision is worse with the slight shift than without contacts at all. My vision is still pretty good without contacts and I only wear glasses for reading and computer work. So I'm hoping the contacts provide a bit of an edge. I think I was reading 20/15 with the contacts in. I was a little bummed that they couldn't get me to the 20/10 line.

I hit the range after one week of getting used to them. Time was limited so I only got to put 3 groups down range. 200 yards prone unsupported with iron sights. (CMP/NRA high power rules) The results were inconclusive. My first group was nothing special, my second group was pretty disappointing, then my third group was pretty darn tight. I'll try to get pictures of the groups posted tonight. By the end of the second week I was definitely feeling more comfortable with them, so no idea if that will make a difference.

Group 1 Ammo A.jpg Fired this ten shot group first with ammo that wasn't supposed to be that good.

Group 2 Ammo B.jpg Pasted the target and switched to the ammo that was supposed to be good to fire this group. Not pretty.

Group 3 Ammo A.jpg Instead of walking downrange to paste I just cranked the sights over and switched back to the ammo that wasn't supposed to be that good. Not too shabby.

So further testing will be needed to get an idea of whether or not they're really worth it for me. My next club match is April 12th and I plan on wearing them for that. This year the top shooter has beaten me by 4 points one match and 6 points the last match I shot in. It won't take a massive change in my shooting to beat him.

Note: I met with a friend for lunch before going to the range. I wasn't thinking and had a couple glasses of diet soda with lunch. No idea how much of an impact that had on my shooting.

Warfab,
    Put your contacts away and get Randolph Engineering frames. Have your doc give you the eye data for viewing 20/10 at twice your sight radius and have your lenses made. Then go shoot the X ring out of your targets. When your eyesight changes, just have new lens made. Remember those masters and high master you compete with? No contacts on those boyz!
    ""r"epublicans view every day as July 4th, Democrats view every day as April 15th" RW Reagan NRA, NYSRPA, SCOPE, GCA, NRA Instructor, Advocate for Juniors Marksmanship Programs

I'll be sticking with the contacts for the foreseeable future.

2014-05-10 11.53.24.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
    I'll be sticking with the contacts for the foreseeable future.

2014-05-10 11.53.24.jpg
    Looks better than my 194 from today....

Quote Originally Posted by thughes View Post
    Looks better than my 194 from today....
    I'd be lucky to shoot a 194 with a Garand. Not easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast