How expensive is it to shoot your C&R guns?
Close

Private

Default How expensive is it to shoot your C&R guns?

New to firearms in general but mainly looking to collect and shoot milsurps, C&R, etc. What obscure cartridges do you guys shoot?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

All original 1954 Tula armory paratrooper sks, dirt cheap to shoot and a total riot. Makes it even better I got it for 75 bucks like 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RiceDrizzle View Post
    New to firearms in general but mainly looking to collect and shoot milsurps, C&R, etc. What obscure cartridges do you guys shoot?

Generally the more obscure, the most expensive. But off the top of my head from most expensive to least would be:
    11.15x60R (.43 Mauser)
    8X50R Mannlicher (dies set you back quite a bit, and use .330 diameter bullets)
    6.5x52 Carcano
    7.7x58mm, 303 British, 7.62x54R are in the same ballpark for reloading (.311-.312 diameter bullets)
    8mm Mauser
    7.5x54 French
    7.5x55 swiss
    6.5x55 swedish
    30-40 Krag
    30-06

My advise for collecting and shooting milsurps is to get into reloading. But unfortunately at this period of time, components are hard to come by at reasonable prices.
    NRA Member # 189252265
    GCA Member # 10393

Corporal

I picked up a really nice original Henri- Martini years back at an Afghan bazaar. It’s British MilSurp but the .450/577 ammo is no longer in production making it a C&R. When you find it it’s around $9/round and better.