New York Firearms Forum banner

New CMP Garand

6K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  bt3583 
#1 ·
Just got notification that my Garand shipped from the CMP. All I know so far is the serial number 75xxxx. Could it be a 1940's Springfield Armory?

I should be picking it tomorrow, will post pics.

#3 ·
looks like if it is a springfield in the 750000 number range it was manufactured in 1942.

#5 ·
Hopefullyyou get what you asked for. My boy and I both have Springfields but ours areService Grade Specials. I was not looking for any special character just a good reliable shooter. If I had been thinking when I bough my first one I would have went with the 308 and not the 30-06 version so I didn't have to add a new caliber but , hindsight is 20-20. It just gave me an excuse to buy a couple of bolt guns in 30-06.

#7 ·
The 1st one I ordered through the CMP was a Service Grade Special, ended up with an H&R from the 50's. The rifle looks brand new and is a great shooter, and that's really all I was looking for at the time.

I figured for my second one I would see if I could get one with some WW II history attached to it.

I hunt with a 30 - 06 Browning so the caliber wasn't an issue.

Any excuse is a good excuse, to pick up more guns!

#11 · (Edited)
Well just picked up my new Springfield. She's a beauty, Haven't had a chance to really look over and see what I got. My first impression was very good when I opened the rifle case. Will post pics later.

I also wanted to thank the guys down at Master Class in Monroe, NY. They always keep things nice and easy!

#14 ·
I've been dying to get my hands on one for the better part of two years now hopefully il get one before their gone. Enjoy it let see some pics if you get the chance.

#15 ·
Here are a few pics. I field stripped it and all the parts except the bolt look like S/A. The bolt is an IHC (50's). The serial number puts the receiver at 1942, looks like it was re-barreled in 1946. The wood looks pretty good has a nice dark color and plenty of character. The front hand guard (by muzzle) has some play. I haven't taken her all the way apart yet to see what's going on with that. Very happy, looks like should be a good shooter. Muzzle gauges 1+ and the throat gauges 2+

Wood Tool Wood stain Plank Hardwood
Human body Wood Wood stain Plant Hardwood
Window Comfort Wood Beige Auto part
Wood Material property Gas Cylinder Metal
Wood Door Gas Trigger Household hardware

#17 ·
Real nice. A 46 rebarrel is common In WW2 guns. Mine is as well. Looks like they replaced the rear sight with a post WW2 type as well. My handguard has some wobble. Just make sure you have that little rear handguard pin in. Not required but supposedly could affect accuracy if out. Any cartouche on the stock?

#18 ·
I was thinking the same thing with the sight as well, same as what's on my H&R. I thought I may have seen a cartouche, but may be more wishing than anything. I'll take a closer look when I break her down to clean and grease. Have to pick up the Red Garand book.

#19 ·
Squared P cartouche is the arsenal rebuild,Circled P cartouche is the original firing proof. I cleaned with lemon oil and rag, then applied light rubbed coat BLO. That cleaned some of the dirt off but kept all that historical coloring that only time & grit could properly make.

#20 ·
Very nice, I have started using a cloth with a little mineral spirits on it to clean the older stocks and the ms gets the dirt off so you can see if there is a cartouche,even if just a light one. Then I put a light coating of boiled or raw linseed oil rubbing it in then wiping off any excess with a dry cloth.
Jim

#26 ·
I ordered through the mail. Sent in my paperwork the end of January, got confirmation last week and picked up on Tuesday 2/10/15. I included a note that I wanted a Springfield, hoping to get one that was tied to WW II.

Here is the link to the CMP rifle sales website, explains everything you need to do.

M1 Garand | Civilian Marksmanship Program

You can also make a trip to one of there stores and actually search for and pick out the rifle you want. I've been happy with the 2 M1's I received from the CMP so far.

#27 ·
I didn't find any cartouches or proofing marks. The only markings I found were under the butt plate. Looked like a 2 and couldn't really make out the rest. Found the top to an old Lubricate grease container in the stock. Wood Art Tints and shades Metal Sculpture
Sculpture Wood Art Tints and shades Metal
Houseplant Composite material Wood Plant Metal

#33 ·
Wow! Doing some research on M1A's and came across this old thread, can't believe it was over two years ago! Still love my M1's, actually going to club today to send some rounds down range with my H&R. Such fun rifles to shoot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.