Sniper Mosin Nagant
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sniper Mosin Nagant

Now I'm sure everyone has seen someone do it before but my approach will be a little different, no synthetic crap on it. My starting rifle was a used 90 dollar Mosin Nagant, non matching, no big deal (I already own a matching 1942 Izzy). First step was done today, had the tooling guy at work bend the bolt on the rifle for me, came out pretty darn good for a free quick job:

DSCF2190.jpg

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2207.jpg

DSCF2210.jpg

My next step is to sand down a notch in the stock, the bolt closes enough to fire the weapon but it isn't 100% shut, so I'm going sand a little notch in the stock.

Next I am going to strip the whole stock down to bare wood (I am not removing ANY wood, I am keeping the entire length stock and the top wooden cover to the top of the barrel.) I am going to STAIN, not paint, just stain the stock a nice black walnut color, my father has a nice stain he has, from far away it will look matte black and up close you should be able to see the grain in the wood. I will then coat it with a flat polyurethane coat to protect the wood from the elements.

After that I plan to get an ATI or similar scope mount for the Nagant, and have the receiver drilled and tapped to accept it, then all I will need to do is mount the scope and I should be done, have yet to see if my bent bolt job will clear a scope mount, I think it probably will but I haven't been able to test the theory yet.

I may also put a nice muzzle break on this rifle if I can find one that will actually do something for the performance of the gun itself and as long as it is legal.

Any tips? Hints? Suggestions? Comments? I'd like to hear them all
    Rifle Wants: CETME, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Quote Originally Posted by DystruktoBoi1 View Post
    Now I'm sure everyone has seen someone do it before but my approach will be a little different, no synthetic crap on it. My starting rifle was a used 90 dollar Mosin Nagant, non matching, no big deal (I already own a matching 1942 Izzy). First step was done today, had the tooling guy at work bend the bolt on the rifle for me, came out pretty darn good for a free quick job:

DSCF2190.jpg

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2207.jpg

DSCF2210.jpg

My next step is to sand down a notch in the stock, the bolt closes enough to fire the weapon but it isn't 100% shut, so I'm going sand a little notch in the stock.

Next I am going to strip the whole stock down to bare wood (I am not removing ANY wood, I am keeping the entire length stock and the top wooden cover to the top of the barrel.) I am going to STAIN, not paint, just stain the stock a nice black walnut color, my father has a nice stain he has, from far away it will look matte black and up close you should be able to see the grain in the wood. I will then coat it with a flat polyurethane coat to protect the wood from the elements.

After that I plan to get an ATI or similar scope mount for the Nagant, and have the receiver drilled and tapped to accept it, then all I will need to do is mount the scope and I should be done, have yet to see if my bent bolt job will clear a scope mount, I think it probably will but I haven't been able to test the theory yet.

I may also put a nice muzzle break on this rifle if I can find one that will actually do something for the performance of the gun itself and as long as it is legal.

Any tips? Hints? Suggestions? Comments? I'd like to hear them all

I am not into classics but IMO putting plastic into a mosin is like buying a vintage cadillac and using the parts to retrofit a
    geo metro so you have the right approach.

You might want to check this video threads I got a while back from iraqveteran. He is very pupular with his mosins and other classics...

Century Arms M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle in 7.62x54r - YouTube

Sporterizing the Mosin Nagant Part 1- Making sure your rifle is safe to shoot - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by meketrefe View Post
    I am not into classics but IMO putting plastic into a mosin is like buying a vintage cadillac and using the parts to retrofit a
    geo metro so you have the right approach.

You might want to check this video threads I got a while back from iraqveteran. He is very pupular with his mosins and other classics...

Century Arms M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle in 7.62x54r - YouTube

Sporterizing the Mosin Nagant Part 1- Making sure your rifle is safe to shoot - YouTube
    I agree, that is why there will be no plastic in my build

And thanx for the video links

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

man I would just built it back to an as new original mosin sniper issue rifle ... try to get the correct mount and glass ... then tweak the crap out of it and get it as accurate as possible ...
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

Quote Originally Posted by demerson View Post

man I would just built it back to an as new original mosin sniper issue rifle ... try to get the correct mount and glass ... then tweak the crap out of it and get it as accurate as possible ...
    That would be the scope mount I'm looking for haha.

I thought about building it back up to the original sniper configuration but I would rather save up and buy a matching numbers sniper and put money into making that accurate, this is just going to be a first time project/possible deer rifle if I ever get around to hunting haha.

Any idea what scope mount that is called? The original Mosin sniper ones I keep finding are the side mounted ones on those PSU scopes, this one is bolted to the top of the receiver and that is what I want.

Rifles Of The Red Star
    Mosin Nagant

browse around in there .... hell i don't even care for the old stuff like that and that site has me looking for a couple !!!!
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

Quote Originally Posted by demerson View Post
    Rifles Of The Red Star
    Mosin Nagant

browse around in there .... hell i don't even care for the old stuff like that and that site has me looking for a couple !!!!
    Thanx, btw I forgot to tell everyone, I'm also going to try to find a 10 round magazine for this Nagant, I know of a guy who makes them and was going to start selling them, I have emailed him a few times and he doesn't respond, he is the only dude inthe world who makes these 10 round nagant mags, and I really want one darn it lol

I just seen that rifle with sniper setup at the clarence gun show going on today. I think they wanted something like $450

Quote Originally Posted by SomeSoldier View Post
    I just seen that rifle with sniper setup at the clarence gun show going on today. I think they wanted something like $450
    My build won't cost near that and it should shoot just as good in all it'll prolly cost me 200 ish

Corporal

Keep us updated. Mosin Nagants are real diamonds in the rough.

That specific one is the 1891/30 PE, used a Zeiss-style scope back when the Commies were still friendly with them. They were only ever used on hex receivers, but I've only ever found repro mounts for round receivers. Did manage to find the lower portion for a hex receiver for mine, just never had a chance to mount it.

I was for those, thank you Gunner those helped out alot, quite a few nice Nagant scope mounting tips and tools on those sites, 2 of them got favorited

I will have the stock back on saturday (Feb 25th) from my dads, all stained and polished, then I will post some update pictures and begin the scope mounting process (and the scope hunt haha)

Private

Well done so far, sir.

I got the stock sanded down so that the bent bolt closes completely, and got it stained black, it looks painted but it isn't the wood is stained black walnut by my father (he also did the sanding work) Now all I need to do is decide on a drilled receiver or a dovetail to weaver conversion rail in place of the rear leaf sight. I am also going to use IraqVeteran88s youtube method of trimming the bolt spring back a tiny amount to make the bolt easy to cock, because at this point in time the bolt being bent and short like it is gives you NO leverage to pull it up and cock it, so the lighter pull would help this build tremendously.

I am satisfied with how it is coming out so far, let me know your thoughts

DSCF2245.jpg

DSCF2247.jpg

DSCF2250.jpg

DSCF2251.jpg

Thread resurrection I know but I added more to it now:

So I picked up one of these:

NcStar SKS Muzzle Brake/Bolt-On (AMSKSB): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

And added that on there, I'm still looking for a scope mount for my Mosin to put the scope where I would like it, I found this site:

Mosin Nagant Side Mount

Which looks awesome however they are way back ordered, I'll post some pictures of the new muzzle break, let me know what you think, its just a slip on I hammered it on there so I don't think its coming off anytime soon.

And just so everyone knows if they don't already this thing was already halfway sporterized and non-matching when I got it, it also has no bayonet, so I didn't hurt anything, my 1942 all matching Izzy is safe and sound in the gun safe, this is gonna be my franken-mosin.

DSCF3087.jpg

DSCF3084.jpg

DSCF3088.jpg

If anyone has had an experiences with this muzzle break or a similar model let me know, its just some NCStar crap, I'm expecting it to look and sound different more then preform different but maybe I'll be surprised.

It's coming along nicely, I've heard the NCStar muzzle breaks will often fall off fairly quickly, maybe consider installing it with loktite.

I picked up one of these Brass Stacker Mosin Nagant 9130 See Thru Scout Scope Mount 9130-SSM and I really like it.

No bolt bending, and you can still use the iron sights. I am enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by warbrane View Post
    It's coming along nicely, I've heard the NCStar muzzle breaks will often fall off fairly quickly, maybe consider installing it with loktite.

Thanx

Its not even threaded so idk if locktite would help and if it falls off I'll bring it somewhere to weld the thing on lol.

It got a piece of metal looped up and behind the front sight that I had to screw onto it after I pounded that thing on there good and tight, so unless I also lose that whole top piece behind the sight it cant come off.

Let us know how the brake performs, I never thought of putting one on the mosin.

Major

I was going to go with the all original stock but after realizing putting a bipod on with that stock would make it very ineffective because It would not be a free floating barrel. That's why I went with the ATI stock on mine.

Also in reference to your first post there is nothing illegal about a muzzle brake/flash suppressor since it is a bolt action. You could put anything on there since the law only applies to semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
    I was going to go with the all original stock but after realizing putting a bipod on with that stock would make it very ineffective because It would not be a free floating barrel. That's why I went with the ATI stock on mine.

Also in reference to your first post there is nothing illegal about a muzzle brake/flash suppressor since it is a bolt action. You could put anything on there since the law only applies to semi-auto.
    Yea that was posted quite awhile ago, I have since learned

I don't mind the ATI stock nut I really don't care for the look of that much barrel hanging out of it, that is why I went with just staining the original.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by DystruktoBoi1 View Post
    Yea that was posted quite awhile ago, I have since learned

I don't mind the ATI stock nut I really don't care for the look of that much barrel hanging out of it, that is why I went with just staining the original.
    If you have a way to do it I would suggest filing down the inner groove along the barrel just so it has some room to free float rather than rest on the stock. That is why I want the ATI stock. Less fore end = more free float = more accurate. And if you're making it into a "sniper" it would be pretty important that it is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
    If you have a way to do it I would suggest filing down the inner groove along the barrel just so it has some room to free float rather than rest on the stock. That is why I want the ATI stock. Less fore end = more free float = more accurate. And if you're making it into a "sniper" it would be pretty important that it is accurate.
    I never quite understood how having as little of the rifle attached to the stock as possible makes it more accurate, how does free float make it so much more accurate?

Also as far as that goes the original sniper Mosins just had a turned down bolt and not much else and they were pretty awesome shots, I'll try it out before I mess with my stock setup just yet, if I can do it myself I might be able to bed the original stock.

Major

Free-floating barrel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot easier to just send you the link than it is to explain.

Free floating allows it to move how it should. Otherwise you are putting force on the barrel that was not intended to be there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast